Create New Clothing

ngh_5562cc7e85ngh_5562cc7e85 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

How does one go about this?

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

How does one go about this?
    There are a number of tutorials out there, including some in the old forum archives. Basically, you need to use a modeling program, such as Hexagon or Blender to build your mesh around the base figure (exported from Daz into your modeling program)your clothing will be designed for (in my case, Genesis figures) then import the completed clothing object(s) back into Daz Studio, and rig the outfit.

Here's the archived WIP thread of an outfit I had made (technically not really finished yet, since it needs morphs): http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=187484

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited July 2012

Hi,

If you want to learn how to model clothing their are some good tutorials around. There are the lady littlefox series at Rdna and the excellent ones by fugazi here at daz.

I would highly recommend at least knowing the basics of the program you are going to use before attempting clothing

Cheers
    Pen

Edit to fix the self correction...damn iPads!

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • edited December 1969

I like to model in Wings3d, but Blender does have Shrinkwrap and Cloth-Sim, so I use both. I posted These Vids a while back on the Sculptris bored. They're not as detailed as some of the others, but they cover the basics!

edited December 1969

I like to model in Wings3d, but Blender does have Shrinkwrap and Cloth-Sim, so I use both. I posted These Vids a while back on the Sculptris bored. They're not as detailed as some of the others, but they cover the basics!
    Is shrinkwrap able to be shared? IIRC I've seen a post somewhere that said it could only be used for personal use... cloth sim would be useful but I can't handle the blender interface. : (
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Is shrinkwrap able to be shared? IIRC I've seen a post somewhere that said it could only be used for personal use... cloth sim would be useful but I can't handle the blender interface. : (That's correct. Shrink Wrapping is not allowed for distribution (certainly not of DAZ content/figures).
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Pendraia said:
    Is shrinkwrap able to be shared? IIRC I've seen a post somewhere that said it could only be used for personal use... cloth sim would be useful but I can't handle the blender interface. : (
    That's correct. Shrink Wrapping is not allowed for distribution (certainly not of DAZ content/figures).
    Thanks Adam...I was fairly certain that was the case. : )
  • edited July 2012

Umm .. How would you know ?? .. maybe you didn't watch my movie, but I run through about 4 different softwares before I'm finished, Blender being one of the first. Not that I'm a content provider, or trying to encourage mis-behavior, but honestly all one need to do is import/export from any other software than Blender ......

Post edited by sparky_1_1bcc1a2f60 on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Echoing JustmeNhere doubts, is that known for sure? The licenses no longer explicitly forbid shrink-wrapping since a couple of revisions at least. I'm guessing it's because Smoothing Modifier is itself a shrink wrapping tool and it would be counterproductive to forbid redistribution of items done in part with it (remember that with SubD your final mesh is different from what you model, and fitting it to a SubD figure like Genesis poke-through becomes practically a certainty). If it were me, I'd say for small fixes it's certainly acceptable but not for complete figure cloning, a bit like merchant resources you'd have to make the majority of the item on your own. Best to contact DAZ to find out for sure, anyway.
    Regarding "how would you know?", just overlap the two figures... ;-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Shrink-wrapping is still forbidden. Whether someone would be caught or not shouldn't be a deciding factor on whether they do it, I would hope.