exporting obj's colors etc (into bryce)

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

As it is now, whenever I color individual polygons a certain color other than the overall or default color for the whole obj, those "secondary" colors won't carry over into bryce. Whatever is imported there shows just that one color (over the entire object). Am I missing something or maybe I have to go through studio then into bryce!?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Did you mean to post this query in the Carrara forum? If not I can move it to the correct forum for you.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

If you are dealing with an OBJ the issue then lies in Material zones. If the entire model shares the same material zone then it will all inherit the same materials when imported into Bryce. You need to uv map the model and separate the material zones so that the painted polygons are a distinct mesh separate from the rest of the model. Another option is the keep the model as one mesh, but to use a UV map. The model will need to be UV unwrapped so that the UV map shows the model fully flattened out. You will paint onto the model as normal and you will export the uv map along with the model. Then you apply the UV map as a material in Bryce it should follow along such that your painted polygons should appear as expected. Best of luck.

• edited December 1969

Golly, I knew this. I'm taking that model master course however and nothing was mentioned of needing uv maps to export a texture (etc) tweaked model. Looks like the catch is that you can export said tweaks into Studio etc... I assumed this would include Bryce so erroneous assumption on my part. Now this is silly as I thought all these programs here at DAZ were meant to work with each other.

Interesting moniker. But thanks for the reply.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I do not have C8, or later, but in C8 a feature was introduced to bake procedural textures on objects when exporting. Not sure if this is where you're going with this or not.

If you don't UV map you objects, Carrara kind of applies it's own internal UV to display your textures. It may not be the projection you desire and I'm not sure how well it would export.

It also sounds like you need shading domains assigned or it wasn't done quite right, because ignoring the UV mapping for a minute, the different domains should be part of the .obj file, unless Bryce has an issue with non-UVed shading domains.

As to Bryce, Carrara, DAZ Studio, etc. working together, well, Bryce and Carrara were bought by DAZ and Studio was built from the ground up by DAZ. DAZ has been making progress along with a few false starts and missteps at integrating or at least bridging these disparate pieces of code.

• edited December 1969

Yep, something else I'll have to drop. Waldo or the mentor seemed to indicate, via omission, that carrera took care of these things during export, as you mention.

My intention was to animate small objects then import those clips into my ani's in Bryce. I realize, with my set up but maybe for anyone, this would be akin to expecting a free ride to Andromeda.

edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    Yep, something else I'll have to drop. Waldo or the mentor seemed to indicate, via omission, that carrera took care of these things during export, as you mention.

My intention was to animate small objects then import those clips into my ani's in Bryce. I realize, with my set up but maybe for anyone, this would be akin to expecting a free ride to Andromeda.

I don't think Carrara exports sequenced objects, unless that was added in C8.5? Maybe .fbx? Chohole or Rashad may know what kind of animation formats Bryce can import?

This isn't meant as a knock against Bryce, or saying that Carrara is better than Bryce, but if you're going to the trouble of building objects in Carrara and animating them, why not use Carrara for the environment as well? Carrara is a full featured CG app, why not leverage that?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Not me, animation is not my thing. The most animated I get nowadays is rushing from forum to forum to check the new posts.

• edited December 1969

I can use carrera for that if I can figure out how to create scenes that have the same feel as with previously rendered anis. But nay, I wanted to Merge those objects into bryce sequences. Like the bridge twixt studio and bryce. I'm short on ram tho so whenever I try this, bryce plays it back so slow as to be almost stationary. At these times I'm forced to break the link to studio.... But I've also learned how to "animate" figures a bit by moving the character in certain ways around the cam : )

I like the animation end!! We see, here at DAZ, that models, characters and stills predominate. I'll guess a part of this is simply due to large file sizes of anis. Otherwise... might there be some galleries with (short) animations?

For the most part, I'm trying to create the most captivating effects; with the least amount of frills, technology and props.

edited December 1969

Carrara may be more up your alley than you think.

Look here for a Carrara animation forum and place to show your work:
    http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators

This is my youtube channel. It has a lot of short tests and examples of Carrara animations. All the computer animation on my channel is strictly Carrara.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Evilproducer01

I don't know what exactly Bryce can output, but Carrara can output alpha channels. In addition it also has a large amount of render passes, such as depth, object index, post effects, volume primitives, etc. Carrara can also render to video files or image sequences. It has a Batch Queue to help with multiple renders and it can save system resources because you don't need the scene open to render. You can also pause the render and continue later.

Carrara has multiple tweener types to aid in animation, there's also a graph editor. Carrara can also use Aniblocks (not sure if you need a paid plugin or if it is included), Carrara also has NLA (Non-Linear Animation) clips you can create.

Additionally Carrara can use all DAZ figures with ease without a bridge except for maybe Genesis 2 which isn't fully supported quite yet. People can get it into Carrara, but not all the features work well.

edited December 1969

I forgot to add their are rigging tools and multiple constraints, as well as IK tracking.

• edited December 1969

Golly. This brings me back to earlier times when I couldn't find a user friendly manual. Still seems to be the case or did I miss something? I'm familiar with only a fraction of that jargon. Don't think this model master course will show me enough carrera rope. As it is now tho what I need most is an option to.... increase the bleeding font size.

Bryce, is nice. Easy to use and it's really just missing a modeler. Actually, at the beginning, it took 12 hours to figure out how to fly a cam through a model I bought. 12 hours of experimenting. Down the road I do same in under 5 minutes. Well no, this now takes about a minute doh. This of course was without referring to any literature.

edited December 1969

Not that hard in Carrara either and the renderer is faster. ;-)

Carrara's included manual is still relevant for 90% of the software. Take a look at the glossary and/or index. The vertex, spline, metaball and terrain modelers are virtually unchanged. The volumteric clouds, fire and fog primitives, modifiers, etc. are also not really changed. There is some improvements to the graph editor and some other stuff that has been documented but not included in the manual which can be found here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27874/

• edited December 1969

Kudos on your vids. Got some good potential there, like with the black hole sequences. We'll see about the fire and fog - if it's in version 8. Let me guess...

edited December 1969

The fire has potential, but also limitations. It doesn't react to scene forces, so you can't add a wind blowing the flames around. It would be nice if that could be added, or even controls to fake it.

• edited December 1969

Interesting. It appears version 8 may have this stuff. I am totally into this kinda thing and your observation is helpful. Being into sci fi comprehensive freedom with fire etc effects manipulation would be great if not mandatory. Bryce 7 has the particle feature. Not sure if that is versatile enough to create what could be done with carrera's fire n fog.

I wish there was a way to get AI algorithms into 3d scenes. ! Someday.......