Joint rotations going bonkers when rigging

cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi guys. Me again. Sorry to be so annoying lately, but I am now using Carrara for modelling and animation at my new job. Exciting!

I detached one of the Poser character's skeleton in Carrara so that I could edit the mesh (it works when exporting to Collada format)

But after re-attaching the skeleton,. the joint rotations have changed. See the image: the hand's Z-rotation does not line up with the bone anymore. The same goes for all the finger joints as well!

Is there any way to fix this easily?

Comments

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Hi cobusp.

Detaching the skeleton from a Poser import converts the models mesh to Carrara native setup. Some of the imported features like conforming clothing, joint controlled morphs and possibly some bone setups(etc.) will be lost in the conversion. Detaching any skeleton also resets the weight maps.

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

Hi and thanks, I noticed that the weight maps were also lost. I sjust wish it were possible to correct those joint rotations without having to redo the whole skeleton.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

cobusp said:
    Hi and thanks, I noticed that the weight maps were also lost. I sjust wish it were possible to correct those joint rotations without having to redo the whole skeleton.

Have you tried changing the constraints or using the Orient Joint command under the Animation menu?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Can't you edit the mesh without detaching the skeleton? I think I read about issues with Genesis, but I don't know about the Gen 4 figures. I don't have C8.5 so I can't test.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Can't you edit the mesh without detaching the skeleton? I think I read about issues with Genesis, but I don't know about the Gen 4 figures. I don't have C8.5 so I can't test.

Hi EP.

You can edit a Poser import posed mesh for poke through using morphs with the Pro version of C8, but the tools to edit a meshes topology are still greyed out(protected). Detaching the skeleton is the only way(afaik) to change the topology. As mentioned though, it breaks the Poser import features.