Question on Import 3DS (New Bryce User)

theschemertheschemer Posts: 68
edited February 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Hi Byrcers, :-)
I just bought Bryce yesterday so I am a complete noob for now but had an important question. I was trying to import some free 3D object files to see how that worked and ran into a few snags. I tried some Collada files from Google Warehouse and they failed to import with a "Generic Error". So I tried some free 3DS files and one worked straight away but the other 2 I imported tried to find the texture maps (that were actually there) but the default had the names misspelled by 1 letter and no matter what I tried the texture maps would not open so I just cancelled through until I got the basic shape on the screen. Is this normal? Are some format types better than others to use? Also, any good must have add-ons for Bryce for my enjoyment that are considered beneficial to a noob? :grrr:
Thanks,
theschemer

Post edited by theschemer on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Welcome to Bryce and this forum. Best format to import is Wavewfront OBJ. I had issues with many at times but not yet with OBJ.

• theschemertheschemer Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Ok, that will get me off to a better start. I appreciate it.
    theschemer

• gholacikgholacik Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

log onto this page for tons of free bryce scene files, mats and skies to play with. add to, take apart whatever you want.
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=alymac
    enjoy!

edited December 1969

gholacik said:
    log onto this page for tons of free bryce scene files, mats and skies to play with. add to, take apart whatever you want.
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=alymac
    enjoy!

Thanks gholiac, that is a generous offering of some nice usable stuff. I appreciate the link and the help.
    theschemer

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I just bought Bryce yesterday so I am a complete noob for now but had an important question. I was trying to import some free 3D object files to see how that worked and ran into a few snags. I tried some Collada files from Google Warehouse and they failed to import with a "Generic Error".

When importing from Collada files, it is important to tick the little box at the bottom of the "import object" window that says "SketchUp dae". Most of them also import without textures and are usually a lot more work to re-texture in Bryce, but sometimes they are worth the work.

As Horo says .OBJ files cause the least trouble, but potential problems can be minimised by making sure the .OBJ file is placed in the same folder as the .mtl file and textures. Although Bryce does read the .mtl file (if there is one) it will always ask you to find the texture pictures if they are not in the same folder.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

I just bought Bryce yesterday so I am a complete noob for now but had an important question. I was trying to import some free 3D object files to see how that worked and ran into a few snags. I tried some Collada files from Google Warehouse and they failed to import with a "Generic Error".

When importing from Collada files, it is important to tick the little box at the bottom of the "import object" window that says "SketchUp dae". Most of them also import without textures and are usually a lot more work to re-texture in Bryce, but sometimes they are worth the work.

As Horo says .OBJ files cause the least trouble, but potential problems can be minimised by making sure the .OBJ file is placed in the same folder as the .mtl file and textures. Although Bryce does read the .mtl file (if there is one) it will always ask you to find the texture pictures if they are not in the same folder.

Hope this helps.

Savage,
    That helps. I was using the wrong Collada selection and when I switched to Sketchup, it works. I will check the .mtl files issues next.
    Thanks,
    theschemer

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

@theschemer:

Welcome to the world of Bryce - As you play around with the program I am fairly certain you will become a fan of it. Lots of talented people hang out in the Bryce forums and always willing to help out with questions as well.

You had asked about importing files into Bryce and got some good information already, but have you looked at OBP files? These are Bryce specific Object preset files - sort of like an OBJ file, but frequently already have materials and textures assigned that are incorporated into the file.

Bryce comes with some basic OBP presets already installed if you click on the little arrow next to the create button. It will bring up a menu of these items and you can also import, export and save your own OBP format creations there for future use. There are quite a few of us who make models for Bryce in the OBP format and many are freebies you can download from sites like ShareCG which someone already mentioned.. I think you might find it a handy source of various presets you can use in your creations. Over the years, I have posted quite a few models in OBP format there and you can also find Bryce scene files with premade models as well there. If you go to http://www.sharecg.com/ do a search in 3D Models for OBP or Bryce ( I know that one of my favorite model makers "Spacebones" posts a lot of Bryce stuff there.) You can find models in OBP format I have done by going to: http://www.sharecg.com/goshtac I have uploaded decks, lanterns, sci-fi stuff and buildings etc. there.

Hope you enjoy Bryce and again Welcome!

Bruce

Bryce_Presets.jpg
    856 x 612 - 89K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the welcome and for the added info. I am kind of new to all this 3D stuff and just bought Bryce yesterday so I have a ways to go. I will be sure to check out your stuff and the stuff the other guy you mentioned. I have many irons in many fires and hope to bring many pieces together and produce some interesting animations as soon as I am able. Lots to read and study for sure. From what I read or seen in a tutorial yesterday there are some unique gotchas that can come up in the texture map editor but there were also workarounds suggested. I have noticed a few weird things too but I am too new to blame anything but my inexperience for now. Like resizing a 3D model was kind of awkward or even seemed backwards but the model imported was very small and some parts were not linked so I had some weird results...
    theschemer

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the Bryce forum, theschemer.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the welcome and for the added info. I am kind of new to all this 3D stuff and just bought Bryce yesterday so I have a ways to go. I will be sure to check out your stuff and the stuff the other guy you mentioned. I have many irons in many fires and hope to bring many pieces together and produce some interesting animations as soon as I am able. Lots to read and study for sure. From what I read or seen in a tutorial yesterday there are some unique gotchas that can come up in the texture map editor but there were also workarounds suggested. I have noticed a few weird things too but I am too new to blame anything but my inexperience for now. Like resizing a 3D model was kind of awkward or even seemed backwards but the model imported was very small and some parts were not linked so I had some weird results...
    theschemer

@ theschemer

Glad to be of some small help. Yes, the material / texture map editor can be a stinker at times. I create a lot of my own texture maps for surfaces and load them into my material lab. I have learned the hard way to try and remember to save my current work before I do this as quite frequently when I add new materials, Bryce for me has a bad habit of crashing. I manage to save my texture in the material lab usually, but the crashes often come when I go back to the main work area where I am trying to assign that texture. Another little glitch that pops up from time to time is when assigning a texture to one surface/object, sometimes that texture will also transpose itself on some other object in the scene - Doesn't happen too often, but it can be a tad annoying when it does.

Two suggestions: Save your work frequently and then close out the program and go back in - Sometimes the many undo files in memory will crash the program if you have worked a long time on a scene.

Also, When you save, from time to time do a Save As and change the file name slightly. Bryce will actually do this for you if you number your creation. Example, I am working on a model of a church right now. My original file name was Church 1 - When I went to do a Save As, Bryce will auto update the file name to Church 2 and so on... This is handy in case you suffer a crash during a save, so you still have your original saved file to fall back on if need be.

Have fun with Bryce - Once you get over some of the odd quirks of the program, it is an a fantastic program to play around with as you may have noticed from some of the fantastic renders from many of the talented people with a lot more knowledge than I have who post here in the Bryce Forums..

Bruce

edited December 1969

goshtac said:
    Hi Bruce,
    theschemer

@ theschemer

Glad to be of some small help. Yes, the material / texture map editor can be a stinker at times. I create a lot of my own texture maps for surfaces and load them into my material lab. I have learned the hard way to try and remember to save my current work before I do this as quite frequently when I add new materials, Bryce for me has a bad habit of crashing. I manage to save my texture in the material lab usually, but the crashes often come when I go back to the main work area where I am trying to assign that texture. Another little glitch that pops up from time to time is when assigning a texture to one surface/object, sometimes that texture will also transpose itself on some other object in the scene - Doesn't happen too often, but it can be a tad annoying when it does.

Two suggestions: Save your work frequently and then close out the program and go back in - Sometimes the many undo files in memory will crash the program if you have worked a long time on a scene.

Also, When you save, from time to time do a Save As and change the file name slightly. Bryce will actually do this for you if you number your creation. Example, I am working on a model of a church right now. My original file name was Church 1 - When I went to do a Save As, Bryce will auto update the file name to Church 2 and so on... This is handy in case you suffer a crash during a save, so you still have your original saved file to fall back on if need be.

Have fun with Bryce - Once you get over some of the odd quirks of the program, it is an a fantastic program to play around with as you may have noticed from some of the fantastic renders from many of the talented people with a lot more knowledge than I have who post here in the Bryce Forums..

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
    I am known to save my work as I have been burned before on varying software. I always use the pic-1, pic-2, etc trick. I think now I am still a bit confused or still getting the big picture on what I need to accomplish what I want. I looked at VUE and although it looks great, it also looks like another money pit. I have the flu at the moment so I need to get rid of that before I get carried away and spend $$ on something that will make me feel good now but will regret later. :) Bryce looks great for the price and the community. As soon as I realize what it can do for me in the grand scheme of things I will understand which direction to go. In other words, I am wearing too many hats and working on too many things at once. :) I have other 3D software that I am learning right now and am trying to get a grasp on everything that can assist me in making a great animation sooner than later. I am just thinking Bryce will make great scenes or atmospheres, but I need backgrounds that are native to my area. Mainly pine forests to mimic as close as possible the area here. I think the change from 2D to 3D is cool but represents some challenges when trying to make an animation in a 3D environment as opposed to a Jib Jab environment. :) Thanks for listening.
    theschemer

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Welcome to the Bryce forum, theschemer.

Thanks GussNemo!