Combining spherical mapper and anaglyph system

David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Horo set me off on this with his mind boggling Anaglyph_QTVR_Panoramas tutorial. There's a lot to think about. You have to look all the way around... which is challenging enough... and what happens when you look up and down? It's a dynamic situation in real life. Can such a thing be captured in one static image. Well yes, because clever Horo has done just that. What I wanted to do was find a way to do it in the minimum number of renders. Horo set the bar at 6 - for the 6 sides of a cube. I reckon, I can do it in 2... And fix the problem with up and down. Maybe... OK after extensive testing here's my prototype spherical map anaglyph. Things look like they go a bit funny at the poles... but once this has been remapped onto a sphere and viewed through the perspective camera - it all makes sense again - right up to the pole - so long as you don't see a pole everything is fine.

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2012

1 - Then with the map applied to a sphere and rendered looking north.
    2 - The map itself - with considerably reduced distortion.
    3 - Looking south
    4 - Looking west
    5 - And finally, the proof of the pudding - looking down. The pole is 1/3 from the bottom of the image.

ED2_4.jpg
    422 x 422 - 286K
    ED2_3.jpg
    422 x 422 - 273K
    ED2_2.jpg
    422 x 422 - 283K
    ED2_1.jpg
    422 x 422 - 300K
    Pano_anaglyph_double2_m.jpg
    750 x 375 - 457K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

you just need to stick it into gardengnome Pano2VR gui and upload it to sharecg!! I can view qicktimeVR's on my Android btw too and as I turn it in real space they pan around!

edited December 1969

you just need to stick it into gardengnome Pano2VR gui and upload it to sharecg!! I can view qicktimeVR's on my Android btw too and as I turn it in real space they pan around!

Thanks Wendy. That's more Horo's department than mine. I don't generally touch any other software except Bryce, maybe DAZstudio - and then only with a really long stick - and usually just to hit it. Since Horo's mastered the QTVR system, I'm passing the components over into his care to see if it is any good.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Tried the first image experiement onto a spere - works nicely. I suppose that the pole areas can never be rectified, or solved, as you would have the right/left, red/blue perspective clashing at some point above a certain, say, latitude? Are we talking here about creating 3D HDRI's?

Jay

edited December 1969

well with a QuicktimeVR you would wear your red/cyan glasses and spin your Android or iPad around in your loungeroom to view the whole scene in 3D and fall over the cat! ;-P
    nah, that is just me with my spherical Carrara renders without the added danger of cardboard glasses! %-P

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

I created a QTVR from the spherical anaglyph above using Pano2VR. It looks quite good to me. Problem are zenith and nadir when you rotate because at 90° and 270° you need your eyes one above the other and at 180° you have to swap the sides of the glasses. But QTVR anaglyphs work nicely if you don't look too far up or down except when facing forward. This is a small limitation for the cubical QTVR and it shows still much more than if you use a cylindrical QTVR.

3D HDRIs? I've done real HDRI anaglyph panoramas for light probes already. An interesting effect but not of much practical use. More sort of a joke, really.

edited July 2012

HDRI pano anaglyph, yes it could be done by combing the scene converter with the Panoramic Anaglyph Lens System I think... yes? A test for another day perhaps? Here's another spherically mapped pano-anaglyph.

Edit. I've uploaded this full size so with right click it can be downloaded and viewed.

Dungeon_Dimension2_pano_combined.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 2M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

Just downloaded and made a QTVR of it. Looks just great! Excellent example with depth and the fearful beast at far left how it comes at you. Very good that the upper part is black, so there is only the floor right down which gives funny feelings.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, yes the floor is quite reflective so is also reflecting back through the lens system, likewise, glimpses of the lens system can be seen in the mirrored doorways. A drawback of this method. This could be corrected with a software fix... if a programmer could be tracked down. But given I'm still waiting for DAZ to get back to me on my missing account balance, I don't think there is much chance of a fix any time soon. Even DAZ soon.

edited December 1969

Just for fun I made a small pano spherical anaglyph of the inside of a complex volumetric material.

Ff5mat7_combined.jpg
    900 x 450 - 824K
    edited December 1969

If I can drag myself out of bed and light the kero heater later, I might fire up the computer and try these out, my 360 fisheye photo viewer pic app on my android keeps crashing trying so I will need to make an actual qtvr mov which WILL work, sometimes it (the downloaded app) works, got a few Carrara renders I view with it, but an extremely crashy app!

edited July 2012

In celebration of out latest product being released... http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-abstract-wallpapers/ Here's an abstract spherically mapped pano-anaglyph full size, so you may right click and save it if you so desire - to witness it in all it's maddening madness.

InsideIBL_combined.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 3M