When will Bryce be brought back into the dev cycle?

mattos0mattos0 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I want to buy this app but since it doesn't work on Mavericks so I'm hesitant of buying it.
Any update on when Bryce will begin development again so they make an update to run on newer Mac OS's?

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

As soon as there is anything to report, this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/ will be the first to announce it on the forum.

Sadly at the moment, there is nothing to report.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2014

I agree with that comment from Dave. I have been assured that as soon as there is any news I will be informed, so that thread will be updated.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

I find it strange with all the work with Bryce I've seen on this forum and in the Gallery, many who've never posted in this forum, the powers that be wouldn't want to get Bryce back into the dev que soon. It's shown itself to still be a popular software.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I find it strange with all the work with Bryce I've seen on this forum and in the Gallery, many who've never posted in this forum, the powers that be wouldn't want to get Bryce back into the dev que soon. It's shown itself to still be a popular software.

The biggest problem is the Mac issue. They had a contract Mac programmer during the last dev cycle, and not long after the release of Bryce 7 his contract ran out. Finding another Mac dev who knows Bryce is not easy. Bryce 7 was released and the dev cycle wound up prior to Mac bringing out the new OS Xs.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    GussNemo said:

The biggest problem is the Mac issue. They had a contract Mac programmer during the last dev cycle, and not long after the release of Bryce 7 his contract ran out. Finding another Mac dev who knows Bryce is not easy. Bryce 7 was released and the dev cycle wound up prior to Mac bringing out the new OS Xs.

Yeah, it would probably be a lot easier to make a native Linux version than to update to the current Apple OS. (hint...hint...)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

If I got it right, Bryce run on the Mac until 10.6 under Rosetta (which isn't supported since 10.7 anymore). Rosetta enabled programs written for the Motorola processor family to run on the Intel processor family. Bryce needs a complete overhaul to 64 bit anyway and since Mac and PC are both running on Intel processors, the difference wouldn't be huge anymore. Because of that Axiom code which lingers all over Bryce, rewriting Bryce for a modern processor architecture is a major undertaking. As always, investment comes before harvesting.
  • aarrgghhhaarrgghhh Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Yes, I agree that Bryce needs an upgrade to 64-bit. But let's not leave out another much needed upgrade: the ability to use OpenGL (hardware rendering). The interface itself does not need to be upgraded, but the rendering process absolutely must be able to take advantage of the power of hardware rendering.

If I were to make a Top Three Wish List, I think it would look like this:

1. Hardware Rendering.

2. 64-bit.

3. Ability to access 12 cores when rendering (since 6 core hyperthreading CPUs are now available).

I think the next upgrade of Bryce (assuming there is one) has to be focused on hardware.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@aarrgghhh - once Bryce is 64-bit, only system memory is the limit and going higher core won't pose a problem. During the last dev cycle we were at 16 cores for a time. Problem is, this takes quite a slice of memory and hence we settled at 8. This is not so bad because hyper-threading gives about 10 to 20% more speed. With a 6 core, you're way faster than with an 8-way (4 cores, each hyper threaded).

• aarrgghhhaarrgghhh Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Well, I think we're "on the same page" here. Once 64-but is resolved, 12 core or even 16 core will be resolved with it. For anyone who renders animation, OpenGL rendering is a must-have. I'm not saying redo the whole interface in OpenGL (that would be nice, but possible cost-prohibitive).

From my way of looking at it, the future of Bryce (if Daz chooses to give it a future) is hardware upgrades. Software could wait for Bryce 8.5 or Bryce 9.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

While I agree wholeheartedly that 64 bit is essential, as a potential Bryce user I want to see more from the software as well.

I want to export models in a format that other software can read. This is greedy, because I realise we have a lot of modeling software which is already very good, but I want to grow organics and load them into Poser or Daz Studio.

I want the interface to be more friendly to my needs. I want to be able to position a tree easily, and I really struggle with positioning in Bryce. Maybe that's an issue with me more than an issue with Bryce, I don't know, but I do struggle more in Bryce than in other software.

I want displacement to work properly.

I want Vue users to say "Holy crap, I'm in the wrong software!"

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I want Vue users to say "Holy crap, I'm in the wrong software!"

e-on has a RenderNode for Linux...but no plans to make a Linux version of Vue. So...a native Linux version of Bryce would definitely be a one-up there!