Carrara 8.5.0.132 Beta Now Available To Carrara 8 Customers

2»

Comments

• edited December 1969

I'm curious if anyone has had any success getting any version of the 8.5 beta running under WINE.
    I've using OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit using the build service version of WINE from 1.4.6 to 1.5.6 (it seems to have a new version every couple of weeks there and I've tried after every update using both 32-bit and 64-bit prefixes).

I've had partial success getting C8.1 32-bit to run. But all of the version of 8.5 bomb out with MSC++ runtime errors. This is using both builtin and native libraries, and both installing the libraries before the installer or letting the Carrara installer do all the work. I've also tried with and without emulating a virtual desktop.

I haven't been able to find anything via numerous searches and was curious if anyone had notes I could follow.
    Thanks.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited June 2012

ButchLebo said:
    I'm curious if anyone has had any success getting any version of the 8.5 beta running under WINE.
    I've using OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit using the build service version of WINE from 1.4.6 to 1.5.6 (it seems to have a new version every couple of weeks there and I've tried after every update using both 32-bit and 64-bit prefixes).

I've had partial success getting C8.1 32-bit to run. But all of the version of 8.5 bomb out with MSC++ runtime errors. This is using both builtin and native libraries, and both installing the libraries before the installer or letting the Carrara installer do all the work. I've also tried with and without emulating a virtual desktop.

I haven't been able to find anything via numerous searches and was curious if anyone had notes I could follow.
    Thanks.

I run Carrara 8.5 under Wine everyday, and have been for quite some time. I successfully run it under Fedora 13-16 and Ubuntu. Only the 32 bit version works, but it works very well. You must turn off the spooling textures to disk or it'll constantly crash. You must have a working OpenGL environment. If you're using the proprietary nVidia or ATI drivers your likelyhood of failure is high. The OSS video drivers + Mesa are your best bet.

EDIT: I've been working with RichardH on getting a sticky set up for getting DAZ software running under Linux. For obvious reasons, we've not moved forward since the migration. Now that things are more stable I hope to have the latest revisions to Richard for approval in the next day or so.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Anybody heard from Spooky?
    If he has posted - I missed them.
    He (She?) was always good about keeping us up to speed on the next release - which I hope is out soon. (hate using that word around here!)

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

a positive comment about C8.5 pro (which some things Genesis aside I am finding to be a stable build in general)

sssssssssshhh I better whisper this,
    the FBX import is fairly compatible to the iClone 3dxchane pipeline I am beta testing unlike many other apps others are trying besides MAX ofcourse.

actually Daz studio FBX aside I have found most FBX files import fairly well compared to previous versions which tended to scramble the mesh up like the piggy thing transported inside out on Galaxy quest!
    it is just a shame compatibility with Daz studio has not occured yet though the new DS4.5 has some limited FBX, I might have to download the 32bit beta of both Studio and Carrara and stick it on my craptop so I can continue using DS4 on my desktop to look at it more.
    DS4.5 was too annoying without plugin compatibilty for me to keep it
    I do like the Carrara beta though, physics seems better too!

LOL (Never Give Up, Never Surrender!!)

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

is there a new code for the 64 bit beta, or should i uninstall it now?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    is there a new code for the 64 bit beta, or should i uninstall it now?

It is not in beta anymore. It is available for purchase. I'm not sure why this thread was brought back from the dead after all this time.
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited February 2014

might have been a poke at me mentioning beta testing iClone 5 pipeline, who knows
    DS4.6 btw is very stable, things change and improve as I was well aware and actually say and I find C8.5 release very good too
    still keep C8.1 as well though esp for weightpainting stuff.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

call me picky, but in my book a bug fix is not an upgrade. i'll uninstall it and stick with version 8. $80 is a bit steep.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

It's your choice and your money. $80.00 sounds like a bargain to me, so it is a matter of perspective.