Can not open 2d picture object on a mac but can on windows

gsm77gsm77 Posts: 23
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have an imac with 8gb of ram. 98 % of the time I use my Bryce 7 pro on the mac partion. I have installed bootcamp and occasionally use Bryce 7 in windows mode (about the only thing I use windows for now).

My problem is that when attempting to import a 2d picture object while using the mac side of the computer, I am presented with a whole set of inconsistent problems.

Sometimes the image is transparent.

sometimes the image is tinted either yellow or blue.

sometimes I get an out of memory message even though I am not hogging resources.

sometimes the program just crashes

However when I switch on to Bryce on my windows partion I have no problems whatsoever, the 2D image is imported perfectly every time.
I prefer working on my mac and most of my runtime is there, does anybody know how I can get round this problem so that I don't have to revert to using windows .

Thanks Geoff

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You may find some help in this sticky thread at the top of the forum http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19947/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

1. What is the operating system version...both.

2. What is the image format?

3. Can you open the image, in the Apple operating system, outside of Bryce? (using whatever image utilities/viewers/programs you have installed)

edited December 1969

The importing of images on the mac platforms is a known issue with Bryce I am afraid.

• gsm77gsm77 Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

The mac os is 10.6.8
    Windows 7 Home premium
    Whether i use jpeg, or tiff imagines i still get all of the problems mentioned above.

All of the images open fine outside of Bryce in both windows and mac os

edited February 2014

Did you try the tips given in the thread I linked you to?

Really nasty Mac bug - the best bet is to use B6 and save out and load in B7, but you can also load images via DAZ Studio or any app that exports .OBJ/MTL.

I create a cube in DS and apply the image and then use the Bryce Bridge to take it over to B7. This correcly loads the image in the Pict Editor. I then copy the cube and paste it into the scene I’m working on and can then be applied to other objects.

Same thing with.OBJ import.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thankyou

Have just tried both methods suggested by your links. Using the terrain editor with bryce just produced the same results plus lots of memory issues.

Using the method suggested by Dan of importing a cube with a picture on it via the bridge into Bryce works. I wonder is there a similar workround for doing a alpha cutout picture. For example if i wanted to do a cutout of a tree and use it as low res background scenery.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

gsm77 said:
    Thankyou

Have just tried both methods suggested by your links. Using the terrain editor with bryce just produced the same results plus lots of memory issues.

Using the method suggested by Dan of importing a cube with a picture on it via the bridge into Bryce works. I wonder is there a similar workround for doing a alpha cutout picture. For example if i wanted to do a cutout of a tree and use it as low res background scenery.

Yes, just use exactly the same method only map your alpha picture onto the cube and then import it.

edited December 1969

gsm77 said:
    Thankyou

When I do things like that I save the image as png, which has an automatic alpha which Bryce reads. You may find you need to click it into the trans channel in the mat room and tick blend transparency, but this way there is no need to make an alpha.

edited December 1969

how do you map an alpha picture on a cube within Daz studio. i have tried but only get a complete picture and not a cutout .

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2014

gsm77 said:
    how do you map an alpha picture on a cube within Daz studio. i have tried but only get a complete picture and not a cutout .

Yes, it doesn't really matter what it looks like in DAZ Studio.
    Sorry, I'm on with a three hour render at the moment so can't do any screen grabs to help with this but I'll try explain in words.

The picture you're going to use as your alpha channel is going to be black (which is the transparent bit) and white (which is the bit that will show).

Import that into Bryce on a cube then select your object (the one you want to apply the alpha channel to) and go into the mat lab.
    Put a blob in Channel B on the transparency row and in the right hand pane, click the P button to access the picture library.
    Select the alpha pic you've just imported. Underneath the preview pic ckick "copy" then in the middle (blank) preview, click "paste" (it asks if you wish to delete the picture already there, OK that). You should now have your pic in the left hand preview a faint copy of it in the middle and a semo transparent copy of it in the right hand preview box. OK that to leave the Mat Lab.
    In the little drop down menu at the top of the Mat Lab between the left and right hand panes (a very small insignificant looking triangle button), make sure that 'Blend transparency' is ticked and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Dave Savage on