Ik tool for limbs

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there way to do ik for arms kinda like the the ik handle tool in maya?

Thanks

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

There is. I am not the right person to answer this question, so I'm just bumping this up in the hopes that someone like evilproducer, DuDu, someone who does that, can better answer. I'm busy rendering or I'd dig around for an answer. If nobody gets back to you by the time I'm done, I'll see what info I can get for you ;)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Is there way to do ik for arms kinda like the the ik handle tool in maya?

Thanks

What is the IK handle tool in Maya? If you use one of the DAZ figures, it should already have IK. If it is your own rig, you would add it when setting constraints. If you mean a separate manipulator, you can add that as well. If you use a Target helper object and IK tracking the Target Helper Object is invisible in the renders.

I used Target Helper Objects and IK tracking in these renders:

The bike render has the feet tracking the Helper Objects, which are parented to the pedals. The sprocket has a spin modifier on it. All the leg movement is strictly caused by IK tracking. The hands are also locked to the handle bars using the the Helper objects.
    http://youtu.be/fl5mq9Sdpwc

This video uses IK tracking and a Target Helper Object to keep the hand on A3's hip.
    http://youtu.be/nkWBRuJlQhA

This video uses Target Helpers and IK tracking to keep the foot locked to the floor (changed the foot constraint to ball joint) and IK tracking and Helper objects to control the arms.
    http://youtu.be/KQhoy3hB9J0

edited December 1969

Believe it or not, I do all of my keyframe animation purely via joint-rotation. Isn't that silly? But I've become quick and good at it. I use the grid to watch where they foot 'was' and begin all of my motions by moving and rotating the hip, and then go to the first limb in question - the one whose appendage needed to stay with the grid, and I shape that limb how I need it to look, getting the appendage as close as I can - and the final motion to get it back to where it needs to be is once again done by moving or rotating the hip one more time. Then I just shape out the rest of the limbs how they should be. Rinse and repeat - or go back and do some in-between tweaks.

I know... I've left the cuckoo's nest, right? Flew right over that bad-boy! Oh well... I like my results, and I truly enjoy the process. I'm only saying this in case you may not have tried this technique, and would like something else to try.

edited December 1969

Believe it or not, I do all of my keyframe animation purely via joint-rotation. Isn't that silly? But I've become quick and good at it. I use the grid to watch where they foot 'was' and begin all of my motions by moving and rotating the hip, and then go to the first limb in question - the one whose appendage needed to stay with the grid, and I shape that limb how I need it to look, getting the appendage as close as I can - and the final motion to get it back to where it needs to be is once again done by moving or rotating the hip one more time. Then I just shape out the rest of the limbs how they should be. Rinse and repeat - or go back and do some in-between tweaks.

I know... I've left the cuckoo's nest, right? Flew right over that bad-boy! Oh well... I like my results, and I truly enjoy the process. I'm only saying this in case you may not have tried this technique, and would like something else to try.

Not silly at all. There are times when it is definitely the preferred method, and then there are times where it would be extremely tedious, such as the pedaling action of the bike ride. The A3 video and the Rose/Planet Terror video are good examples of what I like, which is a hybrid of hand manipulation and IK.

Going back to your method Dart, this is where onion skinning would be cool. You could set it up to show a shadowy version of the last couple frames to help with lining things up. I have this feature in a stop motion video program I (rarely) use.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I am like you, Dart, I almost always use the manipulator of rotation.
    But sometimes the manipulator of direction with the IK can save time and also sometimes to have more natural movements.
    In any case, the trick of Evil with its target helper must be worth the effort to test it!

edited December 1969

Using the bike ride as an example, you could set up the IK tracking and Target Helpers to get the legs pedaling, and then hand animate the upper torso, arms, neck and head, to have the figure look around, wave at other people or any other action you may want it to do.

edited December 1969

I am like you, Dart, I almost always use the manipulator of rotation.
    But sometimes the manipulator of direction with the IK can save time and also sometimes to have more natural movements.
    In any case, the trick of Evil with its target helper must be worth the effort to test it!
    I know! I want to learn this way - well... the target helper thing. evilproducer keeps explaining it at times when I can't do it and log it to memory! LOL
    I used to always pose using IK in Poser. Carrara was different - and now I'm really loving the difference! But still... I need to do this at some point soon, so I don't keep forgetting how it's done ;)
    edited February 2014

fabaone has a Genesis Helper pack at ShareCG for free, but it doesn't seem to work in Carrara anymore.
    It helped so that you could move the hip and the feet would stay pinned, etc.,

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think Carrara could use a few additional posing helper like tools. I also mainly use the manipulators way but sometimes as DUDU references they get a little difficult themselves.

rich

• LordGhoulLordGhoul Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Just an FYI (if I've understood the problem)

I place 4 target helper objects, one near each foot and hand.
    Then for each hand and foot I add an IK modifier and enable tracking and select the corresponding helper object to track.
    Now, moving the helper object moves the limb and its parents up to the hip or chest.
    If I move just the hip, the hands and feet stay in place.

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey Lordghoul.....thanks for that info .....will have to try this out.

rich

edited December 1969

This method works great for me with pre-genesis characters. Make sure to put the helper objects at the top of the figure tree so that they move when you apply a pose or move the figure.

I'm just wading into genesis and am having trouble with this method because no matter where I place the helpers, they don't move properly with the figure when I apply a pose.

This doesn't bother me too much since I use pre-made poses only to get me close to the final. I always end up tweaking by using the helper objects.

I get so much help from the good folks here (mostly I lurk) that if I can give a little back, so much the better.

edited December 1969

Lordghoul said:
    This method works great for me with pre-genesis characters. Make sure to put the helper objects at the top of the figure tree so that they move when you apply a pose or move the figure.

I'm just wading into genesis and am having trouble with this method because no matter where I place the helpers, they don't move properly with the figure when I apply a pose.

This doesn't bother me too much since I use pre-made poses only to get me close to the final. I always end up tweaking by using the helper objects.

I get so much help from the good folks here (mostly I lurk) that if I can give a little back, so much the better.

Your method is my method. Except for the helpers at the top of the tree. I haven't tried that, so I have something new to do. Thanks!

edited February 2014

I also name the helpers. Something like, R foot helper, etc. Then I change each one to a unique color to help differentiate should I get my perspective off or I use an isometric view.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

evilproducer,

I should have read the whole thread before posting!

Naming is key in a busy scene, but I haven't played with changing colors. Good idea.

I also use helpers to set a target for eyes to point at. I put another helper at the bridge of the nose that points at the eye focus helper and then set an "eye camera" for that character to track the eye focus helper so that you can "see" what the character is looking at and render it!

Isometric camera, hmmm, when/why do you use them. I never have, but now am curious.

edited December 1969

Lordghoul said:
    evilproducer,

I should have read the whole thread before posting!

Naming is key in a busy scene, but I haven't played with changing colors. Good idea.

I also use helpers to set a target for eyes to point at. I put another helper at the bridge of the nose that points at the eye focus helper and then set an "eye camera" for that character to track the eye focus helper so that you can "see" what the character is looking at and render it!

Isometric camera, hmmm, when/why do you use them. I never have, but now am curious.

What I meant for the isometric views are the Left, Right, Front, Back, Top and Bottom views. They can be useful to set up rigging and walks and such. I usually use a two or three pane view.

You can also render from an isometric camera. Sometimes it can come in handy for logos and such where you don't want camera distortion or if you want to render a side or top view.

An example:

Overhead_map_of_village.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 3M