Latest Render vs Depth of Field

spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I don't render often for myself because I don't have the time, right? So for 2 days I've been creating the attached image. That depth of field you see there is done in Paintshop Pro because no matter how I set the DOF in Daz it wouldn't render with with it. I followed Greywulf's tutorials and an excellent tutorial by thranq on Deviantart. Nothing. Everything clear as a bell. Argh!

So picture this image perfectly clear with no DOF at all. The settings were

Point at V's head
persective on
focal length 125 (Thyranq said it was a very character friendly setting. I also tried 65 at one point)
depth of field on
focal distance 330 (which put the hairs just in front of her nose)
F stop 10 (Th suggested 8, I even tried 5 at one point, and the default 20)

I use Daz 3 - probably not gonna upgrade to 4 anytime soon considering nothing ever shows up in my library with it. :-) So yeah. Daz3.

Am I missing a plug-in or summin'?

=^-^=

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Well if you use ShareCG try this pdf . http://www.sharecg.com/v/52258/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/DAZ-Studio-Tutorial-Depth-of-Field
    It was made for DS3.

Spot Render is your friend for quick testing your settings.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2012

I actually prefer to do it in post because I have more control over the effect. If you render with DOF and the setting isn't exactly how you like it you would have to re-render the image. If you add in during post you don't have to worry about that. To each his own of course.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Jaderail: I've got the tutorial open and am doing a quick render right now - although I admit spot render isn't something I've heard of and couldn't find in my settings. O_O So far with the tutorial, the only difference from what I've already found on this is to use two cameras. So I added a camera to see what happens.

larsmidnatt: I agree, post makes things faster and you have more control. I guess that's why I'm so far behind everyone else when it comes to using any DAZ and can't seem to get 4 to agree with me, because I've always done everything by hand or in post. My usual process is to take my renders and turn them into paintings, so DOF has never been an issue. But then there comes that time when I want my render to also be a learning experience and be as close to good as I can make it. That's what's happening here.

edited July 2012

You said DS3 correct? Tools menu Spot Render. When its active click and drag to select the section you wish to render.
    And Remember to render with the DOF camera, It took me awhile to learn DOF but I can use it inside DS now.

edited December 1969

Okay, got it. Gonna do that next to see what happens.

Here's the latest quick render. Still no DOF, after following the third tutorial. I have no idea why it won't work!

Oh, and I'm attaching my settings and the view from the 2nd camera. Maybe there's something I'm just flat missing?

settings.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 298K
    sample.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 226K
    edited December 1969

OK. Clicked spot render. I'm not sure why. It didn't do anything. -_- I'll have to do a tutorial search on it sometime I guess and hope someone explains it somewhere.

Just did another render. Still no DOF - and I'm at the screw-this-stupid-program-it-always-lets-me-down stage. And as I have to go back to work now and I have no time left, I guess that's it. I'm done. I couldn't solve yet another DAZ problem, and I've once again become impotently frustrated by anything DAZ. Just. Yargh. I probably won't have time again for months. I really wish I could have solved this one.

On another note: where did all my posts here go??? Did the forum reset or something? I come in to post and all of my info was gone, and my few previous posts were not in record anymore.

Anyhoo, thanks guys for your attempt at helping. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. O_O

edited July 2012

Are you Turning DOF on? I See you Did. It could be your render settings also. The standard Render settings do not work with DOF much at all. Higher render settings work very well. You must use 3Dlight rendering to get DOF.

DOF.jpg
    349 x 248 - 33K
    edited July 2012

Unfortunately, yes. I say unfortunately because it would be great if that were my problem. LOL!

I also only use 3Delight, mostly because I'm not sure of the other settings. So I leave that part at default. Is there something in that I should tweak?

settings.jpg
    375 x 238 - 25K
    Post edited by spearcarrier on
    edited December 1969

My render settings, if you will.

settings.jpg
    375 x 529 - 59K
    edited July 2012

I'm Running a DOF in my DS3 right now but I do know that Pixel Samples X and Y have lots to do with it. My lowest setting is X=8 and Y=8 than then shading rate but yours looks good at .2. You could go with a higher Ray Trace Depth mine is also set to 8.

I'll take all the time you need to learn this, I'm a CV and it's what I do.

Edit: DS3 Render with DOF no Postwork. Yes it needed better lighting but it does show DOF.

DOF-Example.png
    622 x 800 - 446K
    edited December 1969

Well, I changed the pixels and retrace to 8. Got the same. So then I told the pixel filter to use gaussian, so EVERYTHING was blurry. At least it was a change, just not the droids I was looking for.

I'm stumped. There's nothing left for me to tweak.I don't think it's learning this at this point in time so much as it's just not going to work. I've done everything to the letter, there's nothing else I can do according to the literature that's out there.

edited December 1969

Part 1.

DOF_001.jpg
    800 x 800 - 280K
    edited December 1969

Part 2.

DOF_002.jpg
    800 x 800 - 321K
    edited December 1969

Part 3

DOF_003.jpg
    800 x 800 - 448K
    edited December 1969

I do not understand why you can not get DOF to work in DS. It took longer to add the text and stuff than it did to set up the renders. I hope this has been some help, if you are ready to drop it I will also. I just hope we can figure out what is your trouble and get it fixed. Everyone should enjoy the full benefits of the software they use.

edited December 1969

Wow: thanks for that. I sincerely mean it.

I'd been making sure the characters were sandwiched, so I thought maybe the file. So I made a new random thing, did your settings as you have here for good measure and got the following attached. (sigh)

I'm also suddenly having trouble with DAZ itself. It won't let me select in the view or right click for settings. I'm going to reboot and I hope not have to reinstall but it has taken me weeks to get my library functional and I don't wanna do it again. Cry.

settings.jpg
    600 x 776 - 218K
    edited July 2012

Let me hunt some more help, you seem to have a problem I've not seen before. It might be tomorrow before I get a responce but I do want to help solve the issue you seem to have.

EDIT: Please post your PC type (PC or Mac) your operating OS (XP, Lion or Win7) and main info like Ram and graphic card type and if you are 32 bit or 64 bit.

edited December 1969

Hehehe, good luck. Folks around me know me as the person who can't get Daz 4's content to even show much less be in an interface that made sense - and no one could figure it out. I just uninstalled and reinstalled DAZ and still can't select objects in the view or do anything really. I'm ready to hit the panic button. I use 3 to make money and it's kind of my only income.

edited July 2012

That's all the more resaon to get you working at 100% dont you think? I'm loging out in about 2 min's, but really. I have DS3 and DS4Pro both running and I have ALL my content in DS4 and all my none Genesis stuff in DS3. I know it can be done. If I can do it you can, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree.

edited December 1969

Yes: sorry! Am going in circles over here. LOL.

I'm running windows 7 and the programs are all 32 bit, even though the computer is 64 bit.
    I can't remember the RAM, because some of it burned out and I don't nkow what's left. Same goes with the card. I also don't know how to figure all that out, but I can tell yo umy puter isn't the gleamiest thing on the block.

As for 4: I'm installing it now to see if it will do a DOF. But as far as fighting the content goes: just like with the DOF, I did tutorial after tutorial and couldn't get GENESIS to show up. Installing metacontent for thousands of files? Yeah. No. I literally do not have the time. See, I'm fighting to pay the bills for my apartment and our house up north on just my art. My husband is a lowly soldier who just hurt his legs, so now the pressure's on me even MORE.

I also HATE HATE HATE the 4 interface. With a passion. I've never hated an interface as much as 4's. I did briefly see if people had hacked 4 to make it look and behave more like 3, but instead I found out I wasn't alone. LOL

So that aside: I'm at a loss on how to get the info to you. I don't know why DAZ is suddenly doing this to me except somebody in heaven hates me. Heh. If a reinstall doesn't work - and I reset everyting to default too - I don't know what else to do. But will know in a bit if 4 can do the DOF. Then I'm going to bed, dang it.

Thank you for all your help. If I can get the system info tomorrow I'll post it.

edited December 1969

Installed, still no DOF.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

The only thing I can ask is what camera are you rendering with?

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

From the screen shots, it looks like you're using the default camera to render with.

I seem to remember that there was a known bug with DS3 that DoF didn't work on one of the scene cameras, and I think it was the default camera - you need to create a new camera and use that (you should be able to copy/paste the settings from the default one into the new one).

I may be wrong as I haven't used DS3 for a while, but it's worth a try.

edited December 1969

czexana said:
    From the screen shots, it looks like you're using the default camera to render with.

I seem to remember that there was a known bug with DS3 that DoF didn't work on one of the scene cameras, and I think it was the default camera - you need to create a new camera and use that (you should be able to copy/paste the settings from the default one into the new one).

I may be wrong as I haven't used DS3 for a while, but it's worth a try.

Nope, I did my example with the Default Camera. I'm really lost as to what could be going on. Under your Help Menu in DS3 you should have About Your Video Card that will give some info. But you are correct often it is best to create a new Render camera for your DOF settings.
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone: thank you so much for chipping in.

Yes, I have been using the default camera. Czexana, I did think about that as a possible issue so I tried one render with the new camera I used to see the sky with and still didn't get it. I also tried my final render in DS4: still no DOF. I'm back to wondering if perhaps I'm missing some plugin: like Reality, which I've heard of but no clue if I have it in there.

Jaderail: I'm going to look into the video card information when I can. Won't be tonight alas. AT least this isn't stopping me from getting something for someone else done, right? I can tweak them in Paintshop and Photoshop... I just wanted to do a better render is all. *shuffles feet,kicks a stray rock*

edited July 2012

Just for your info No plugin is needed to get DOF in DS. It's part of the Render engine. How deep are you setting your camera FOV? If you are setting your DOF at the END of your camera FOV that might be the issue. I noticed in your example your DOF was at the end of your Cameras FOV, In my example I extended my FOV well behind my model.