How to create a smart prop?

donchan1donchan1 Posts: 48
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi im just wondering how to create a smart prop for example I would like to put a door sign on the door knob so if I click the door sign(for door knob) it would automatically go to the door knob.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited December 1969

A smartprop is created like this:

Load the base item you wanted it to move with. This usually needs to be a rigged cr2 or dsf figure.
    Load the prop you want to be a smartprop.
    Parent the smartprop to the bone you want it to move with (not to the main item).
    Save just the smartprop to the library.

Now when you load the base item first and then the smartprop, the smartprop should automatically move with the bone you chose.

• donchan1donchan1 Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

A smartprop is created like this:

Load the base item you wanted it to move with. This usually needs to be a rigged cr2 or dsf figure.
    Load the prop you want to be a smartprop.
    Parent the smartprop to the bone you want it to move with (not to the main item).
    Save just the smartprop to the library.

Now when you load the base item first and then the smartprop, the smartprop should automatically move with the bone you chose.

I first rigged it as a cr2 figure but nothing happens when I load them again and try to "fit" to my door bones what went wrong? it didnt even move.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

You will need to move the SMART PROP to the place you wish it to STAY before you Parent it to the item. Then it should SNAP to the same place when you load it.

Example: If it is on the handle, place on the HANDLE before you Parent and Save.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

What do i save it as? Scene? Pose preset?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

it is not preset.

File>save as >support assets> " figure prop assets" .

when you save the figure or prop
    if the item are parented to other node, "smart parent" option will be auto checked , in ds 4.5.1.
    (you can save the rigged hair as smart prop too,, if you hope,,)

after save it as smart prop, select the parent figure(eg genesis),
    then load the prop. the prop auto translate the positon and be parented the node where you decide..

• LevonasLevonas Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

I have an addition to this smart prop question. It works, don't get me wrong I get it.
    What I do not get is how to get all items in the smart prop to save together.
    Here is the scenario;
    Made a watch with functional hour, minute, and second hands, along with a function date change dial.
    I made the watch body the Parent, and loaded the other four dynamic parts as separate objects and the parented them to the watch body.
    I positioned it, parented it to the forearm's bone. I then selected all of the items along with the watch body (the parent) selected last and saved as a prop/asset.
    When I load it, the watch body loads correctly, smart propped to the Genesis 2 figure. However, the other dynamic objects do not load with it.
    Clearly the watch body was saved because selected last.
    Why don't the rest save with it? Not only were they selected but they are also parented to the watch body.
    What am I doing wrong and how do I correct myself?
    Thanks.

edited January 2014

There seems no way, to save smart prop with all child prop.

If you hope to keep each handles as separate obj (prop)
    you may need to save them as individual smart prop, one by one
    with keeping each hieralchy. (the item which you hope to save, and the parent item )

1 save the watch body as smart prop parented Actor, you seems have done it.
    2 save each parts as smart prop one by one parented the body part.
    3 when load them, you may need to load each item one by one with selecting each parent.

Then it work as I expected.(sorry ,, too foolsh pic,,I think,, ^^;)

load gen, poze him, select gen.
    then load base. next select base. load each watch handes,,
    they can keep their hieralchy, and translation (scale too) as one watch.

or you can save watch (your watch bas and watch hands) as scene subset
    to keep each postion and hieralchy as one subsets.

but you may need to adjust position when you load watch for your actor.
    It can not auto parent .

I tested them with wealable preest, but it can not work about prop, as we expected.
    (can not be smart prop, I think)

lifetimewatch.JPG
    957 x 499 - 100K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

A wearables preset should also work, as long as each item has been saved as a prop asset first.

edited December 1969

Ah,,Richard thank you much . Actually I was wrong.:-P
    I tested again now,, it work .

To excuse me, I saved as figure and prop all three obj first.
    then save them as wealable preset.

but I seems forget to select Actor when load wealable preset.
    (I seldom use wealable nowdays,,^^; yeah, I know I often mistake.)

Then they loaded on default positon for zero poze, then I felt someting wrong,
    next save wealable preset, include target poze, check on,
    then save them. of course it should not work,, then I believe, wearable preset could not work.
    but it was wrong.

Yes. wealable preset work, after save them all as prop .:-)

• LevonasLevonas Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Okay I am tracking here. I can get the watch and it's parts to load together as a wearable asset now.
    The one item of curiosity now is why we cannot check the parenting option, only the target pose?
    It is not a big deal to simply parent the watch to the forearm but the intention of the original poster is for smart propping so in the spirit of keeping on topic and expounding on a little more advanced smart propping...is a wearable capable of being smart propped?
    As of right now, I can get it to do everything except smart prop as a wearable. I feel like we are on the edge of a breakthrough here doc, so give us some good news :)

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited April 2014

A wearables preset should also work, as long as each item has been saved as a prop asset first.

Not neccessarily. A multi-part prop could also be saved as a scene subset. The benefit is that one has to save his prop only once.

I had a hard time to make a Poser gun prop , the Glock 17, DS compatible.
    It consists of four parts: the frame as main, and the slide, the trigger and the magazine parented to it.
    The real Glock has a polymer frame and a steel slide and I saw it neceessary to aply different reflection colors and strength and glossiness values to just look right.
    Unfortunately, all different surface groups bear only one material name, flagged as "Glock 17", so you can't make just one material preset for it if the different parts' surfaces need different parameters. After making different presets for all parts which turns into a nagging select-and-click-party everytime you load the prop I found out that a single scene subset preset does the job I wanted: storing all surface and posing values for a (almost) one-click load. But you always have to parent it manually to the figure.

After reading about your wearables preset hint I gave it a try and made one for my Glock prop scene subset. Now I'm entirely satisfied, it loads with just a single click into the scene, automatically parented to the selected figure and all surface values applied. And with additionally tagging "Include Target Pose" when saving the preset I don't even have to separately apply the grasp pose for the Genesis 2 Figure anymore. A real luxury.

Thanks! :-)

G2FGlock17.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The Include Target pose is IMHO not used enough by the PA's now we have it. We as a user could always set a different pose after the load if we like. Often I have trouble finding that one pose in all my weapons stuff. (I don't use smart.)