Odd Bryce 7 Pro Start-Up Error

MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
edited June 2012 in Bryce Discussion

I've been trying to get Bryce 7 Pro (Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe) up and running on my machine for the last day or so, and after install, I keep getting the same start-up error message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Bryce.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I've read up on this a little, and if I'm correct, it means that the .exe should have installed a couple of different versions of the same module, selecting the proper one to use depending on the environment and/or circumstances (which is where the term "side-by-side" comes from). It must have some means of determining which module to select, and of course, the proper module must be available once it has made its selection. I'm guessing that in my case, the necessary module is not available or is somehow not able to be selected.

This problem was apparently very prevalent with Vista, but is supposedly not linked to any particular OS (I'm running Win7 64-bit); that is, it's a fault with the application or installer, not with the OS.

Has anyone else had this problem with Win7, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks.

Post edited by Morpheon on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

Possibly a missing visual c++ .dll

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948854

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

You need the 32 bit version, as Bryce is a 32 bit app, as you know, and you have a 64 bit OS installation.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited June 2012

chohole said:
    Possibly a missing visual c++ .dll

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948854

You need the 32 bit version, as Bryce is a 32 bit app, as you know, and you have a 64 bit OS installation.

True, but Hexagon 2.5 is also a 32-bit app, and it runs just fine on my 64-bit machine (although to be fair, Hexagon's dependencies won't necessarily be the same as Bryce's). I've installed Bryce 7 Pro on a few different machines, running either WinXP 32-bit or Win7 64-bit, and I've always found them to be a bit twitchy, but this is the first time it's absolutely failed to run at all. I don't have a lot of time invested in Bryce, so I have no problem shelving it until (or if) it gets a 64-bit upgrade. No big deal.

Thanks for the input.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You just need to install the 32-bit VC++ libraries -- there's no problem having both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on a 64-bit OS, but Win7 only ships with the 64-bit version.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited June 2012

You just need to install the 32-bit VC++ libraries -- there's no problem having both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on a 64-bit OS, but Win7 only ships with the 64-bit version.

Thanks for the input, but that's a no-go. I've already installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) (there's also a 2008 edition, but it doesn't support Win7). It gave me the option of repairing or removing the previously installed library, and I chose repair -- and I get the exact same error when I try to start Bryce. Likely, there's some other issue here that is being misidentified as a side-by-side error.

• rollo_88rollo_88 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hey,

I have recently got Hexagon, DAZ 3D 4 and Bryce 7Pro - They all work except Bryce comes up with something about in rder to create a bridge between bryce and daz i have to restart my computer...so i do and the same message comes up.

Help???!

• edited December 1969

I installed Bryce on my machine, Windows XP Pro but running in a VM Virtualbox running under Fedora 16 Linux, but when I came to try and run the application I too had the error

C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Bryce.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

The application suggested a full re-install 'might' fix the problem - NO IT DIDN'T, same error as before.

Thanks to the help here I didn't re-install but downloaded the VC++ 2005 redistributable and installed it. It removed the previous version and after quite a while of seemingly doing nothing, it eventually finished the install.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Bryce 7 was now fully working.

Once again many thanks to the useful info posted on here.

Regards

Timothy

• anne_d55916dc27anne_d55916dc27 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I am having the same issues as Sarsifas, on Windows7 64 bit.
    I tried to install the visual c for win 32, but it gives an error that it is not supported by my system. (I also tried all other visual C that I could find and none of them seems to do the trick ...)
    Any advice appreciated ...!
    Thanks.

• 2ndsight2ndsight Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Having the same problem with an xp machine with service patch 2 installed. I do not get the side by side error it says the config is not right.

rolled back and reinstall bryce 7 ple at least I got it back up and running

edited December 1969

Bryce 7 PLE is exactly the same as Bryce 7 Pro, the only difference is the Bryce 7 pro serial number, which unlocks the new features, which are disabled in PLE.

I would say that possibly your Br 7 pro download was corrupt.

Open Bryce, got to help, on the top line, click on it, and then click on "Enter Serial" in the drop down box. Change the serial number for your Bryce 7 Pro one, and you should then be up and running.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

@2ndsight - I think the current service pack for XP is 3. Though it shouldn't affect Bryce, since it also works on Win 2000 SP4.

• JansonJanson Posts: 1
    edited November 2012

Hi, I too can't install Bryce 7 pro on Windows 7 (64bit). Has anyone figured out how to do this or is it even possible? Thanks in advance.

Found the fix here...thanks to Rashad : http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=183786

Post edited by Janson on
  • edited December 1969

Hello All,

I’ve installed Bryce 7.1 Pro on a Dell laptop with XP Pro SP3.

On Startup I get the following message:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
    Well… I’ve tried everything I know:

* Reinstalling (twice)

* Downloading and installing ALL versions of Visual C++ ,one at the time, from 2005 to the latest. (I know it helps the “side by side” error.)

Please help!

Yaron AC

• thmpsnrthmpsnr Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I have the same issue only on windows 8, I install Bryce Pro7 and get C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Bryce.exe I haven't read how to fix this for windows 8, but I did install the 32-bit VC++ libraries still no luck. Anybody have any luck with the installl on windows 8??

• carericbcarericb Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

I have wiped my computer twice and rebuild! Disabled Windows automatic updates and tried to install this version of Bryce first. Still no go! It is really 'frustrating" business and a prove of how you feel let down by your company! When will you response appropriately by solving this issue? I have spend a lot of money for all the extras for Bryce but rendered useless now! Windows 9 is in the process of being released, so 64 bit has been around for some time. Therefore should have given you lots of time to go with the time!

edited August 2014

Well most of us are running 64 bit PCs and Bryce with no problems. Can you give more details as to what your problem is.

BTW try making a folder called Bryce and install your Bryce exe to that rather than letting it install elsewhere.

I actually run Bryce from a separate drive, not even my C drive.

BTW this is quite an old thread (Started in 2012) that you have found. I am sure there are newer ones which may have more advice.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • carericbcarericb Posts: 12
    edited August 2014

After spending a long night and more "digging" I found this article:
    This article gives us the links and details to help with the problem! It worked!

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20633961-Side-by-Side-Configuration-in-Bryce-7

Side-by-Side Configuration in Bryce 7

Kraig Hausmann
    posted this on November 04, 2011 10:09
    You may receive this message when you attempt to launch Bryce 7 (Standard or Pro) in Windows:

Side-by-Side_Configuration.jpg

This message means that your Windows software is not fully updated. There are two parts to this. First make sure that you have all necessary updates for your Windows OS (Operating System) from Microsoft. Visit Windows update and install the updates.

Second, you should visit Microsoft's website and then download and install this software, if you are using Windows 7:

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package for Windows 7 64-bit

This software is necessary for Bryce to function correctly. If you are running Windows XP, you may want to visit Microsoft's website and then find and install this software:

vcredist_x86.exe

Keep in mind that after you install this software, you should still go back to Windows update a second time and make sure there are not any new updates necessary to install.

You may also want to add this update from Microsoft's website:

This is the most important update to install. It is the 32-bit version which is necessary for Bryce
    vcredist_x86
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/4/8B42259F-5D70-43F4-AC2E-4B208FD8D66A/vcredist_x86.EXE

This is the 64-bit version of the update. It is not essential, but provided here for reference.
    vcredist_x64
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/4/8B42259F-5D70-43F4-AC2E-4B208FD8D66A/vcredist_x64.EXE

Side-by-Side_Configuration.jpg
    572 x 184 - 57K
    Post edited by carericb on
    edited December 1969

Yes that is noted in the first and 2nd posts of this thread, plus there is a sticky thread at the top of the forum about the side by side error.

• shigedonshigedon Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

You Try Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Express!
    I was successful to start

• Blue321Blue321 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

This is the most important update to install. It is the 32-bit version which is necessary for Bryce
    vcredist_x86
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/4/8B42259F-5D70-43F4-AC2E-4B208FD8D66A/vcredist_x86.EXE

Thank you, it worked. :-)

• hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited December 1969

I just wanted to give an update for those installing Bryce 7 Pro on Win 7 64-bit systems.

1. install file vcredist_x86.EXE and then for good measure install vcredist_x64.EXE

2. install file Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe

3. install file BryceProContent_7.0.0.19_Win.exe

4. install file BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win.exe

Everything seems to work fine with latest MS updates.

I realize this is an old thread but the info stated above solved my frustration.

Thanks to all who helped.