Another head scratcher with this build

edited July 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm working on a H&K SL8 rifle and ran into a confusing issue.

Below is the handle that blends into the stock. For some reason, last night I started to extrude out and to my surprise, all of the faces on the disappeared and the program starting erroring out anytime I tried to correct the malfunction. Every attempt to fix just closes it out. I've tried to find backfaces that are hidden, extra verts, and such but I haven't found a single thing wrong with it. Any ideas?

Post edited by mckeand06_e909fe8cd2 on

Comments

• edited July 2012

Kalen555 said:
    Okay. They've changed. How do you post pics on here?

Click the "browse" button that's found right above the "preview post" and "submit post" buttons on the reply page.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • edited December 1969

Kalen555 said:
    Okay. They've changed. How do you post pics on here?

Click the "browse" button that's found right above the "preview post" and "submit post" buttons on the reply page.

Thank you.

So I take it, I can no longer link from a photo account?

• edited July 2012

Kalen555 said:

You used "image" tags in your previous attempt. Posting a direct link without using any tags will work.

Important question: If you try to select faces on this model, do you get an error message?

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • edited December 1969

Kalen555 said:

You used "image" tags in your previous attempt. Posting a direct link without using any tags will work.

Important question: If you try to select faces on this model, do you get an error message?

No, but it's really hard to get the faces to highlight. I just noticed that the default pivot point is on the other end of the object which shouldn't be the case. There isn't any loose geometry or anything, so I don't know.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

There isn’t any loose geometry or anything, so I don’t know.

Are you sure ? If you have turned off your boundary box turn it back on in the preference file; if there is any invisible geometry some where the boundary box will highlight the problem by extending an equal distance the other side of your present pivot point.

In other words, if the boundary box appears to be an excessive size for the mesh in question in any direction, this normally indicates that there are things lurking in the woodwork that shouldn't be there. :)

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • edited July 2012

RedSquare said:
    There isn’t any loose geometry or anything, so I don’t know.

Are you sure ? If you have turned off your boundary box turn it back on in the preference file; if there is any invisible geometry some where the boundary box will highlight the problem by extending an equal distance the other side of your present pivot point.

In other words, if the boundary box appears to be an excessive size for the mesh in question in any direction, this normally indicates that there are things lurking in the woodwork that shouldn't be there. :)

Totally agree. Which is why it's not a good thing that there's no bounding box. The other objects in the scene (not shown) all do. Not this guy. But I figure a quick fix that doesn't explain the problem. I just highlighted everything, copy, paste. Now it's fixed and whatever oddity was giving it fits was deleted with that object.

Post edited by mckeand06_e909fe8cd2 on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

Remove the ngons you have.