Knurled surfaces in Hexagon

TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
edited July 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

So i'm off on a crazy angel here and thought about replicating a jeweller's screwdriver similar to this one.
I started a quick test to see how it would look, boy is this stuff time consuming, no speed modelling here even though the rest is simply extrudes the knurls are a time killer.

To do this i started with a segmented cylinder, selected the middle section and tesselated the faces into diamonds. I then selected a series of diamond faces and extruded with taper.

Post edited by Tugpsx on

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Very nice!

Love the final render.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited July 2012

That looks like fun, one way to do it a bit faster would be to do just one loop section with extrudes then do a multiple copy.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Ha - beat me to it - also a 10-degree Y-axis offset gives a nice twisting pattern down the length:-)

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

LOL, Just love it work smarter not faster. Thanks for the input it worked out great.

edited December 1969

Many heads make mesh work - be sure to post the final result:)

edited July 2012

Quick test, have to adjust the knurls

jwtooltest3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 62K
    jwtooltest1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 74K
    jwtooltest.jpg
    640 x 480 - 111K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 1969

That's pretty good - just wondering whether there is a workable method of getting the repeat V pattern to the knurls...

edited December 1969

What do you use to render Tugpsx ?

NURL.jpg
    800 x 500 - 203K
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

One might want to point out that the pattern demonstrated here is not actually the one you said you want to replicate.

Which is actually rather easy to create.

Screen_Shot_2012-07-17_at_12.55_.58_.png
    800 x 633 - 329K
    edited July 2012

Do we get to see how easy Ascania ?

Some knice knurling :)

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
    edited December 1969

if you ask nicely.

http://youtu.be/IW_chrO5Fzc

edited December 1969

That is a great tutorial Ascania, just the job. I find the extrude surface tool a little tricky to get to grips with.

edited July 2012

That is a great tutorial Ascania, just the job. I find the extrude surface tool a little tricky to get to grips with.

You just have to keep an eye on the red and green lines. Watch where my mouse pointer goes when I extrude. First it looks like a mess but as soon as I found where the lines were (because Hex likes to put them in semi-random places) I was able to get a good judgement of how the extrusion went. Also, you have to be gentle on the mouse while extruding. Large jerky movements are not the way to a solution.

As for the "just the job" bit. I utterly loathe the tutorial series that every single time over and over again explain to you how to use each tool at its default function. Be clear about what tool you use, give a short explanation when you do something unusual with it but for the rest - there are a thousand others and the manual that have already explained what the tool does. You don't need to do it again.

And the fact that the Quicktime Player Screenrecording function is not all that good and makes everything laggy has nothing to do with it of course. ;)

Post edited by Ascania on
    edited December 1969

Good out-the-box thinking, thanks for sharing, Ascania.

There's also a pretty good tut for Blender, which looks do-able in Hex http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=892kVd5oKiQ&NR=1

edited July 2012

What do you use to render Tugpsx ?

Custom script for H2O my Hexagon to Octane exporter.

http://render.otoy.com/downloads.html

Thanks all for the awesome input. This is turning into a great project for all.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Good out-the-box thinking, thanks for sharing, Ascania.

There's also a pretty good tut for Blender, which looks do-able in Hex http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=892kVd5oKiQ&NR=1

I don't think you get that particular triangulation done as easily in Hexagon.

Regarding my video: If figuring out the rotation angle for the multi-copy is too complicated for you, use the symmetry tool instead to stack the rings. A bit less mental effort but it requires a bit more clicky work for higher stacks.