Slightly confused by new installers - what's "Poser CF"?

EfindelEfindel Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I just bought a couple of new hair texture sets. I've been out of things for a while, and I'm used to sets having two download files - the base one that works for Poser and DS, and the second one with the DS mats.

These, though, have three sets of files: one that has _dpc on the end, another that has DS in the name, and a third with PoserCF in the name. So... what's the PoserCF? I use DS 3 and 4 - is it any use to me at all?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited January 2013

I think:

dpc= Poser Files
    DS = DAZ Studio Files
    PoserCF = Poser Companion Files (For the DSON thing for DS 4.5)

Then there is:

Legacy Files = DS 4.0
    DSON = DS 4.5 or Newer
    PoserCF = Poser 9 - Poser 2012

If you are using DS 4.5 then all you need is the DSON File. I would try just downloading the dpc and DS files as you have not mentioned having poser the you don't need the PoserCF File.

I wish I could be of more help :-(. Dang It I hope you can understand what I was trying to explain as I have a hard time explaining stuff...lol....got it all up there in the brain but can't explain it right...sigh. Happy New Year and take Care :-).

Post edited by islandgurl31 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Basically you got it right, but to make it clearer

Legacy files are for DS 4

DSON Core files are for DS 4.5, and are also needed for Poser users using the DSON importer

Poser companion files are for Poser User who use the DSON Installer.

>dpc files are general purpose really, DS, Poser Content. willl tend to come with .trx files, which include the metadata and such

Post edited by Chohole on
  • islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Thank you Chohole :-). I knew there was more to it , but couldn't for the life of me put it into the right words...lol. Happy New Year and Take Care :-).

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

dpc installers will probably either be referred to as Poser CF (which are needed to use DSON products in Poser) or Poser Core.

It can be terribly confusing trying to figure out what installers to download ... especially since you also see all the mac and pc installers.

Since Classic Rolled Hair comes in a Gen 4 version (Classic Rolled Hair) and a Genesis Version (Classic Rolled Hair for Genesis), the Colors for Classic Rolled Hair texture set has three installers.

Colors for Classic Rolled Hair
    12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairDS_v1.1_trx.exe - pc - DSON Core (download)
    12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairPoserCF_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc - Poser CF (download)
    12815_ClrsClassicRolledHair_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc - Poser Core (download)

If you're using DS3 or DS4 as efindel is, wouldn't you download the Poser Core installer since there is no Legacy installer? The Poser Core installs the .pz2 and .ds files.

efindel said:
    I just bought a couple of new hair texture sets. I've been out of things for a while, and I'm used to sets having two download files - the base one that works for Poser and DS, and the second one with the DS mats.

These, though, have three sets of files: one that has _dpc on the end, another that has DS in the name, and a third with PoserCF in the name. So... what's the PoserCF? I use DS 3 and 4 - is it any use to me at all?

Thanks for any help!

• EfindelEfindel Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Thanks, all. I'd heard of DSON, but didn't know that the Poser CF files were for the Poser conversion stuff - good to know!

Looks like the regular DS mats were included in main files on the items I got, so they had everything I need right now, since I'll still primarily using DS 3. Downloaded the DSON files as well, will install them when I move over to 4.5.

Thanks again!

• FelixFFDSFelixFFDS Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

I admit my intellectual density in these matters, especially as I am still a dabbler-neophyte in character posing/modelling.

For the examples from above, am I correct in the following:
    12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairDS_v1.1_trx.exe - pc - DSON Core (download) <- gets intalled to Daz 4.5 (only?)<br /> 12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairPoserCF_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc - Poser CF (download) <- gets installed to Poser 9 (only?)<br /> 12815_ClrsClassicRolledHair_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc - Poser Core (download) <- can go into Poser 6 and/or Daz 3/4 ?</p>

Felix

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

FelixFFDS said:
    I admit my intellectual density in these matters, especially as I am still a dabbler-neophyte in character posing/modelling.

For the examples from above, am I correct in the following:
    12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairDS_v1.1_trx.exe - pc - DSON Core (download) <- gets intalled to Daz 4.5 (only?)<br /> 12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairPoserCF_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc - Poser CF (download) <- gets installed to Poser 9 (only?)<br /> 12815_ClrsClassicRolledHair_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc - Poser Core (download) <- can go into Poser 6 and/or Daz 3/4 ?</p>

Felix

12815_ClrsClassicRolledHairDS_v1.1_trx.exe - pc - DSON Core (download) <- gets intalled to Daz 4.5 (only?)</p>

^ If you're using Poser 9 and using genesis/DSON, this file needs to be installed as well. This is the actual product file that has the hair. The PoserCF installer has the files to interface with Poser to read the DSON files.

edited December 1969

As I said earlier in the thread

chohole said:
    Basically you got it right, but to make it clearer

Legacy files are for DS 4

DSON Core files are for DS 4.5, and are also needed for Poser users using the DSON importer

Poser companion files are for Poser User who use the DSON Installer.

• FelixFFDSFelixFFDS Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Thanks both for the clarifications.

I am still trying to come to terms with all this and I was lacking the bit of information that when installing into Poser 9, I need to install BOTH files.

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Then there is the recent Freebie Diner Food 2. It only comes with am single Windows file named,

15325_DinerFood2_1.0_dpc

It is a single file for both DS and Poser. It has poser mats and dsa materials for DS.all rolled up into one.

It can be confusing. :roll:

edited December 1969

DPC Daz studio Poser Carrara.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

.dpc = DAZ Poser Content. :) Which usually works in all versions of Poser and DS. Exceptions being Poser Shader Node Materials, or a newer Weight-mapped Poser add on.

edited December 1969

OK, I stand corrected, I was close though LOL Now if I can just remember who gave me the wrong explanation I shall bring the trusty club into action :coolgrin:

• T.KickT.Kick Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

same here.

Could somebody explain which one of this list to download if:

I have DAZ 4.6 installed
    And Poser 7

Poser is only for old content.

So I mainly want DAZ to be updated.

Thanks.

Untitled.jpg
    468 x 471 - 69K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Okay, the first 6 files are zips which you can install with DIM or manually (if you install manually, you need to remember to initialize the morphs manually as well). The other 8 are the older installers; of those 8, the .exe's are Windows installers and the .zip's are Mac installers.

There are 2 things included in this product:
    1) morphs, which work out-of-the-box in both DS and Poser, and
    2) materials, which are DS only because Poser doesn't natively support partial mats (although you can use them in Poser with some manual effort).

The first 2 items are the materials in zips, with separate zips for V4 and M4. These correspond to the installers labeled "..._ds_Agedforv4M4...", but the installers aren't split between V4 and M4.

The ExpCF files are the morphs -- ExP is the system DAZ invented for the 4th Generation figures to allow new morph channels to be added without having to make a new .cr2. They correspond to the installers labeled "_dpc_"

The PowerLoaders add the new morphs to the PowerLoader options in DS.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited January 2014

As a "rule" for me, if something says it has both Poser and DAZ Studio files, unless it specifically says that the DAZ Studio installer is a COMPLETE installation, I usually install both. Especially for older products, content artists used to put the main bulk of the product in the Poser installer and then the DS installer only had the parts that were specific to DS (typically surface material settings). So, I tend to be safe and install both even though my copy of Poser is sitting on my shelf with the seal still on the box. %-P

With the newer installs (especially those which are managed by DIM), this "belt and suspenders" approach shouldn't be necessary.

Post edited by JonnyRay on
    edited December 1969

so then you install it in the same folder?

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

T-Kick said:
    so then you install it in the same folder?
    If you're going to install both (because of the content of my previous post about Poser installers sometimes having ALL of the product and DS installers only having DS specific files), then yes, they need to be installed into the same content library.

If you're installing Poser install files because you have Poser and you have a full install that is DAZ Studio specific, then you could (conceivably) have two separate content libraries, one for each tool.

For the most part, however, things work just fine having both Poser and DS content installed into the same content library.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I thought "Legacy" referred to DS3 installers. The old rule was that if the DS file was tiny compared to the Poser file, then install both in DS. If the content got merged so that the DS file and the Poser file were the same size, then only install one of them.

edited December 1969

I thought "Legacy" referred to DS3 installers. The old rule was that if the DS file was tiny compared to the Poser file, then install both in DS. If the content got merged so that the DS file and the Poser file were the same size, then only install one of them.

Legacy can mean DS3 and/or DS4.0

The DIM-compatible zips use the CF (Companion File) notation to indicate that you need to install both. So if it's StudioCF you need the Poser version also; if it's just DS it's stand-alone (although on newer stuff DS is sometimes DS4.5+ only).

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

The DIM-compatible zips use the CF (Companion File) notation to indicate that you need to install both. So if it's StudioCF you need the Poser version also; if it's just DS it's stand-alone (although on newer stuff DS is sometimes DS4.5+ only).
    Whew! And a zip file might be a new DIM compatible file, or an old MAC installer. From the Daz mission statement: "Confusion is our most important product!" :lol:

edited December 1969

Whew! And a zip file might be a new DIM compatible file, or an old MAC installer. From the Daz mission statement: "Confusion is our most important product!" :lol:

In the Product Library, you can tell a DIM zip from an old Mac installer zip by:
    1) the DIM zips are listed with a name with no .exe or ..zip on the end
    2) the DIM zips have both blue (manual download) and green (DIM) buttons

Downloaded DIM zip files all start with IM followed by 8 digits for the product SKU.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

HI,

Confusion still reigns here. I just purchased the two Actual Hair products and downloaded the manual installers. I have a Mac and I don't use DIM nor do I see myself ever using it (I've spent far too many hours getting my runtimes exactly the way I want them).

SO I double-clicked the zip file : IM00012557-01_ActualHair.zip.cpgz

That gave me another zip file: IM00012557-01_ActualHair.zip

Double clicking that gives me yet another zip file: IM00012557-01_ActualHair 2.zip

And double clicking that gives me: IM00012557-01_ActualHair 2.zip.cpgz

Which is another copy of the file I first started with!

What nonsense is this? I buy 3rd. Party content from elsewhere and it is a simple task to copy the files into the correct folders. There is always a readme to tell me where to put them. This is one of the reasons I hardly ever buy from Daz these days.

edited December 1969

Does remind me of some issues I some had on a Mac.

Might be a case-of using a different zip.unpacker, or simply not double-clicking, but rather drop it on the app.

I think to remember that sometimes the program or OS used to make the zip-file is the originator of this problem, or rather: Apple is not able to handle/ open that zip file in a 1-2-3 manner.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

T-Kick said:
    Does remind me of some issues I some had on a Mac.

Might be a case-of using a different zip.unpacker, or simply not double-clicking, but rather drop it on the app.

I think to remember that sometimes the program or OS used to make the zip-file is the originator of this problem, or rather: Apple is not able to handle/ open that zip file in a 1-2-3 manner.

Well, I decided that maybe the original zip might have been corrupted so I re-downloaded Actual Hair (first edition) - this time unzipping it has given me the familiar runtime folders (oh, joy!).

I'll try again now with Actual Hair Two.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

but what if you have two files, blahblah_ds.exe and blahblah_dpc.exe with the ds one much smaller than the dpc one. Do I have to install both? Or will that double everything up in my content library?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Most likely you need both - the dpc (Poser) files will need to be loaded, then the materials presets from the DS package applied to the models.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Most likely you need both - the dpc (Poser) files will need to be loaded, then the materials presets from the DS package applied to the models.

So does it matter which order you install them in?

and what is a tx file, by the way? I see those sometimes too

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

No, it won't matter which order you install in. tx would, at a guess, be texture - possibly if there were a zip with images and two smaller zips, one for DS presets and one for Poser, though since it's not a frequent usage it might indicate something else.

• themarkcymruthemarkcymru Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

I've just had to re-install Daz due to HD problems.
    Basic content has been picked up from my OS drive, however most of my purchased content is on an external HD.

I have set this directory up in Content Directory Manger, but I'm guessing I need to Re-Import Metadata under Content Database Maintenance. I suppose this only applies to Smart Content.

My import Metadata window contains DR and CF files. Can I unstick all the CF files as they are Poser files which I don't need duplicating inside DAZ.

Or should I just stick with Content Library?

Screen_Shot_2014-10-20_at_00.04_.12_.png
    581 x 1036 - 143K