buying models in the shop and exporting them to max

vovavova Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello! I'm a newbie on this forum, so sorry if my question sound stupid)
I want to buy some 3D models from the shop (for example The streets of Asia).

However, the problem is I'm working in 3ds max 2012 for current. Does any one know whether i can export a models i will by in the shop to the max via some external format like fbx, collada or at least obj without having a problems.

Thanks!

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to the New Users forum, as it was not a commercial post.

• FrankTFrankT Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

vova said:
    Hello! I'm a newbie on this forum, so sorry if my question sound stupid)
    I want to buy some 3D models from the shop (for example The streets of Asia).

However, the problem is I'm working in 3ds max 2012 for current. Does any one know whether i can export a models i will by in the shop to the max via some external format like fbx, collada or at least obj without having a problems.

Thanks!

You can use .obj but you will need to do some work on the materials in Max
  • vovavova Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

>>do some work on the materials in Max
    for example? Fix coefficients, or texture coordinates or what?

I'am actually not a designer and the problem is it will be a bit hard for me to fix anithing complex in max.
    btw, obj will be avaliable in the pack or i need to install Daz3D software and export model manually?
    Is there any free test models i can try and check if it will work?

Thanks!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What exactly is it that you want to do with the models once you have got them into Max ?

• FrankTFrankT Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

You will need to check the specularity/glossiness etc. Possibly convert the materials to Arch and Design etc. Can take a while to do.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

In 3D Max you'll need to rebuid the shaders for each object,.
    for example,. load the texture maps, bump maps, etc, and then adjust the values for thing s like bump, highlight shininess etc.
    You should be able to simply load the OBJect files for most items like Streets of Asia, directly from the folder, rather than loading them into Daz Studio and re-exporting them as OBJ.
    Most models such as sets and props are supplied in OBJ format, in the Runtime / Geometries folder.

Hope it helps :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

3DAGE said:

You should be able to simply load the OBJect files for most items like Streets of Asia, directly from the folder, rather than loading them into Daz Studio and re-exporting them as OBJ.
    Most models such as sets and props are supplied in OBJ format, in the Runtime / Geometries folder.

Hope it helps :)

That was true untill they started making things just for DS4. Some of the DS4 items come as DATA files no obj files included. They aslo work in DS3 so, the newer items for DS4 only will not have obj files in the installer. That is only for stuuf that has came out in the the last year, and not all of them follow that rule, some do. You will need to check if it is compatable with POSER before you purchase. If the set works in DS and Poser or comes with DS and Poser files you are fine. The Poser files will have a obj file in the installer.
    I only bring this up just so you have ALL the info.
    Post edited by Jaderail on