The Adventures of Lomund

TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
edited September 2014 in Art Studio

I thought it was time to start a thread where I can post renders that don't fit into a contest or a specific theme, stuff that hopefully will amuse anyone who accidentally stumbles into here.

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

*giggles*

they certainly made me laugh :)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Ha Ha!

Well done Totte, I like your style.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I like the first one the best!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Thx everyone, will post more renders when time permits.

edited September 2013

I just had to add this one as I think it fits the theme ;-)

m-m-final.jpg
    1220 x 1200 - 457K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Good stuff, like it!

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

That last one is brilliant :D

edited January 2014

Inspired by Jaderails adventure story about Jaderail I decided to post the adventure story in pictures from a game of The One Ring I'm playing at the moment. This is the story about Lomund, son of Geirmund.

Uninvited guests
    It all began in the year 2946, third age in Middle Earth. Five years had passed since the foul dragon was slain and the Dwarves reclaimed the city of Erebor. Lomund, son of Geirmund was passing through lake town to buy provisions and arrows. Lake town had been rebuilt since it was burnt to ashes by dragons fire five years ago. There, he met his cousin Gorm, son of Guthom and they decided to go to a tavern for some beer. At the tavern The Singing Minstrel they met a friend of Gorm, the jeweler Eirik, who was talking to another friend who helped him sell dwarven jewelry to the elves, an Elven lady named Miriel. After some beer, Eirik decided that they all should go to his house for a proper meal, as Eiriks wife was an excellent cook.
    When they approached his house, which had a store in the bottom, they saw that the front door was open. A quick look inside revealed some broken glass and blood smeared on the door to the back of the store, that also was half opened.

Eirik rushed to the stair inside and picked up a sword he had hidden under some clothes, just in case and went up the stairs. Lomund followed him. Miriel showed off by parcouring up the wall of the house to the bedroom windows and saw two person busy looting through the room. On the floor was a woman laying, wounded.

Miriel opened the window shutters then the window and jumped into the room wielding two knives, one for attacking and one for parry. At the same time Eirik kicked in the door and when he saw his wounded wife on the floor he charged the closest of the two uninvited guests with his sword and a wild fight emerged. Lomund grabbed his hunting knife and went after the other burglar and soon Gorm came up the stairs and joined the fight with his long sword . Miriel was hit by a broadsword slash from one of the burglars, but Eirik returned the favor and soon two burglars were disarmed and tied up and delivered to the city watch for proper execution. The two burglars, Brynolf and Reinar said something about a crook in Dale named Youri that was to buy the stolen goods. A name to remember.

To be continued...

bedroom_brawl.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 376K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Watching this VERY close... LOVE the render. I can not wait to see more.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

I love these, Totte! I just found this thread. LOL.

Will there be some sword-fighting renders soon with Feral Fey's new morphs?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

Wow...that brings back memories...well, sort of.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

The Makeup and Mortgage has really awesome lighting- I noticed the folds of the pants/leggings material of the man closest to us on our right- it looks so soft and supple that it's almost like we can reach out and touch it. Awesome! Your characters always have such good expressions too.

edited December 1969

Meeting master Glóin

For a week, the old and new friends healed, ate drank and talked, and strong bonds of friendship began to take shape. Miriel and Lomund both had spent years in the wild protection the weak and the innocent from the forces of evil and they had many stories to share. Eirik was very glad that his newly found friends had helped him save his wife and helped him catch the burglars. The wounds healed fast under the roof of Eiriks house. Rumors began to circulate in the town that master Glóin, one of the ten dwarves that survived the liberation of Erebor was in town, and that he was seeking assistance of some kind.

The group of adventurers decided to pay master Glóin a visit, to see if they could be of assistance. Both Miriel and Lomund urged to get back out in the wild to fight the evil, and Gorm, Lomunds cousin wanted to be part of the kind of adventure Lomund talked about. Eirik was up to anything, to at least pay some of the debt he felt he had to those who had helped him.

They went to the townhall, or a building next to it, where Glóin had his council. They was granted access after they had put down their weapons, as no one comes armed into the house of Glóin. When Glóin saw Miriel, he said with a deep voice: "Who has brought an elf into the house of a Dwarf?" Miriel introduced herself with such elegance that even master Glóin was impressed. "I am Miriel of the elves in the woods. I greet you master Glóin, may you live long and prosper and may your beard never stop growing!".

After the other had properly introduced themselves, Glóin decided that this group might be what he was looking for, and he told them the reason for his worries. "My dear friend Balin, and my own brother Oin, left Erebor for a journey to the King of the Eagles, Gwahir, with an invitation to the five year celebration of the battle of the five armies. They were to travel the Eastern Road, through Mirkwood, but they haven't reached their destination. I'm afraid something might have happened to them, maybe they once again are experiencing the famous hospitality of the Elven King? Your mission is to find out what happened and report back to me. You travel at sun up. I will hire a boat for you, and as this is Dwarven business, I will assign to your group a Dwarven warrior, Funhir, son of Fundin.".

To be continued...

meeting_gloin.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 403K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

very neat renders and story.....ok hooked on this also......hope you have more coming...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited January 2014

On adventure we go

As Lomund is a keen boatsman, master Glóin had rented a boat for the group to use, as it is much faster to travel the long lake and the long marshes by boat than by foot or by horse. They loaded the boat with provisions of food, weapons, mead and everything else that you might need on an adventure.

Miriel sat herself in the bow of the boat, as far as she could from the Funhir, and the tension between Elf and Dwarf was most obvious as the boat set off. Lomund was wiggling oar and the rest of the group tried to relax. After a whole day of travel, they reached the end of the lake, where the great waterfalls were. They loaded the boat onto the mighty dwarven boat lift, called the Gideon Stairs, that transported the boat beside the falls down to the forest river below, and then booked a good nights sleep at the inn, most probably the last sleep in a bed for a long time. Before they went to bed, they spoke a little with the tavern keeper, and he warned the adventurers about recent dangers in the long marshes. The evil is a foot he said, strangle weeds are growing thing and strong and beasts are roving the marshes.

In the morning, they sat of after a good steady breakfast, and Miriel still insisted to sit as far as she could from the dwarf. Another long day where the hours slowly passed and soon they were in the long marshes, and had to carefully navigate between parts that were to shallow or to overgrown to pass through. Miriel, sitting in the bow, did the job as a lookup elegantly as her even eyes could spot things long before the eyes of man, specially now when evening came.

To be continued...

out_on_adventure.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 265K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited January 2014

Evening in the Long Marshes

The day turned into evening, and the evening slowly turned into night. The chill in the air, the sounds from the darkness and from the mist sent shivers down the spines of our brave adventurers. Lomund, who had been padding the boat all day was weary and tired and he called Miriel to look for some place to camp for the night, They knew the journey through the marshes would take two days, two long days.

There was a shadow over this place, a dark and sinister shadow, not the usual shadow left by the moon. The lifeless trees, the stench of rot and decay turned the once so happy minds of the group into dark and clouded thoughts. They new they needed to rest, to light as fire and get some warm food, and they sleep, hoping the nightmares would not keep them awake all night.

There, said Miriel, a larger island not covered with strangle weeds. This looks like a good spot to make camp. They stranded the boat and quickly made a camp fire to let the flames rid their minds of the dark clouds.

After a dinner, prepared by Eirik and Miriel, they made a watch scheme, because no one in their right minds would sleep without a night watch in such a horrible place.

Lomund took the first watch as he was tired in body from the paddling but still awake in his mind from all the work. The others lay around the campfire and soon the all fell asleep. Lomund sat on a log, carefully watching and listening, and he kept the fire from dying, although the wet firewood did what it could to kill it. Then, suddenly he heard a loud splash in the muddy water, and looking he saw the silhouette of something through the misty moonlight.

To be continued...

swamp_evening-pw.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 105K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Ogre in the night

Quickly Lomund woke up the two who were sleeping just behind his back, and pointed in the direction of the sound. Lomund picked up his bow and fired a shot against the approaching monster. It was a huge swamp ogre, green and ugly and Lomund could hear him sniffing. The Ogre moved quickly and had soon climbed out of the water and onto the small island on which the adventurers had made camp.

Funhir, half awake, grabbed his huge mattock with both hands and charged the ogre. Eirik tried to scare the ogre off by throwing a burning log from the fire at him, but he missed and the log ended up in the swamp and the flame died with a sizzling sound. Eirik then made Funhir company, at his left side, attacking with his sword.

Now Gorm and Miriel were awake too. Gorm drew his longsword and ran to give Funhir some aid against the ogre, while Miriel pulled her bow and shot an arrow that dug deeply into the meaty shoulder of the ogre. The ogre roared i anger and attacked Funhir with both hand, trying to squash him like a cockroach against the ground, but he missed. Swords reflected the moonlight in the night, and arrows flew silently, and the battle felt almost hopeless as the shadows darkness had digged deep into the souls of the adventurers.

Then, as a miracle, Gorm made a quick swing with his sword, and cut the orgres throat, and the beast fell back into the murky waters of the swamp, dying.

They had survived two hours of the night in the swamp, but there was still six hours to go until the sun would drive the dark mists away, or would it.

To be continued...

ogre_battle_pw.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 139K
    edited January 2014

A little look back on who these brave people are

From left to right

Funhir, son of Fundin
    A dwarven warrior from the mountain kingdom who joined the fellowship by recommendation from Glóin. A brave, stubborn and rather young dwarf, only around 70 years old, whose beard still hasn't grown to any real lenght, but he is working on it.

Gorm, son of Guthom
    A twenty-one years old blacksmith from Dale who has been doing his duty weeks in the military many times already. He is good with both the hammer and the sword, and is built like an ox. He and Lomund are cousins.

Lomund, son of Geirmund
    A young lad of twenty-one, born and raised on a farm outside Dale. He has spend the past four years in the wild and the woods, trying to protect the innocent people from the orcs and the goblins.

Miriel
    An Elven warden from the kingdom in Mirkwood. Age is not something you should ask a lady about, but she is young for an elf but has seen many men come and go already.

Eirik, son of Eigir
    A Jeweler from Lake town who just came along as he felt he wanted to repay the debt to those who saved the life of his wife and his store. He is a good and brave swordsman.

the_fellowship.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 240K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

These are great! Looking forward to seeing what's next...

edited December 1969

These are great! Looking forward to seeing what's next...

Thanks Scott! I'm planning some historic back looks as next game session is Sunday 26. I have an idea involving tons of modeling too ;-)

edited December 1969

Looking back....

Leaving Lake Town

For some of the adventurers, leaving Lake Town was not easy at all. Lomund and Miriel were both used to be in the wild, coming and going was as natural to them as eating or sleeping. For Eirik, leaving his ordered life with his wife and jewelry business behind was a huge step. Gorm was not a Lake Towner, but from Dale, further north, and he had always dreamt of one day go on an adventure himself. Many times he had sat in taverns listening to bards singing songs about great deeds by great men and women, dreaming that one day, bards would sing a song in his name.

Funhir, the dwarven warrior that Glóin ordered to follow the adventurers, had mixed feelings too. First of all, if dwarves were made to go on water, the gods would have given him fins. There are few things dwarves shun as much as water, elves maybe, and speaking of elves, he was now not only on water, in a boat, but in the same boat as an elf. On top of all that, his wife was carrying and she was huge, really huge. The healer suggested it might be twins, and having to go on a mission together with men and an elf when his wife was about to give birth was something he had a hard time coping with.

So it was a group with rather mixed feelings that set off and left civilization that morning. They all had different reasons to leave and some of them had reasons to stay. Lomund had not been to the south either, he had spent his years to the north, south of the mountains, where Goblins kept raiding farms and villages. Leaving Lake Town this morning made him think of why he left Dale almost 4 years ago, and the burning hatred against Goblins burnt in his heart.

When he was young, about eight he remembers, he met a young lovely girl, about five years old, named Bera, on a market day. They became friends, and Lomund started to look forward to market day, when he would meet Bera again. The years passed and even the grownups started to see the bond that formed between Lomund and Bera, and they joked about what a fine couple they would become in time. When Lomund was seventeen and market day came, he could find Bera anyway. He soon found out why, Goblins had raided the farm where she lived and had killed everyone on the farm and burnt it to the ground. Lomund was filled with anger, he packed his things and told his parents the reason he would now move into the wild to protect those who needed protection. His mother Linhild was devastated but his father understood, and said to him:
    - Son, what you now do is what grandfather never dared, and I never dared, but we have carried within us all those years. You have the eyes of the dragon, your great grandfather saw the dragon set fire to Dale. His eyes turned grey of anger, and we have his eyes as you well know. I stand behind you i this as I know your heart cannot heal otherwise.

Lomund came back to Dale and to Lake Town many times to fill up supplies, mostly arrows and clothes. He is a good hunter and can iive of what natures offers. Sometimes he was invited for a hot meal or a warm bed in the farms and villages he was protecting, but mostly the villagers just saw him as a strange and scary person sneaking around in the dark.

Laketown_cut.jpg
    1600 x 522 - 214K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

Thanks for posting their names and a history...now I can follow the story along better...and the story and your renders are amazing...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited January 2014

Meanwhile....
    In the evening, at the boat lifts at the end of the Long Lake, Gideons Stairs, a lonely river boat silently approaches the dock. It's late, and the boat lift wont open until tomorrow, but a sturdy dwarf climbs out of the river boat, turns his head to the boatsman saying "You stay here, be ready to lift her down. I'll get you some food for you, I meet you on the other side.".

The port captain, who also is responsible for the old dwarven lift, had already went to bed when he heard someone knocking on his door, three hard knocks. He rose, put his tunic on and went to open the door. There stood a dwarf with sharp eyes, an axe in one hand and a heavy leather pouch in the other, which he kept shaking to make the sound of coins rattling. The port captain was about to open his mouth when the dwarf started to talk: "My name is Flói, son of Lóni, and I'm in a hurry. Wake your men and get my boat down to the other side. There will be more food and drink than you all can handle in the tavern when you are done. And you will also all be payed handsomely."

Lóni went to the tavern and ordered a great meal for himself and a few tankards of ale. He then handed the tavern keeper a nice pile of money and said: "I want the boat lifters to eat and drink as much as they can tonight, and hand each of them two silver coins for their services. I also need two kegs of your best mead and some travelers food pack of your food. Be sure to have it all ready in an hour as my boat is being lifted as we speak. I'm in a hurry, dwarven business. Have you seen a dwarf named Funhir, son of Fundin, passing by recently?". The barkeeper does remember the dwarf with the horned helmet and said: "My dear dwarf, your friend Funhir was here just last night. He left in the morning with some friends. I was a little chocked to see him in the company of an elf.".

After an hour, Lóni went down to the lower side of the waterfall, and the boatsmen were swearing and sweating, but the boat was now ready. Lóni hailed them with his strong dwarven voice: "Men, I'm Flói, son of Lóni, and your deed tonight wont be forgotten. The tavern is at your disposal and wont close until you leave. Remember though that it's a day tomorrow too. You will get an extra payment for tonight job too, at the tavern. I'm sorry I can't join you, but even a dwarf sometimes needs to put business before pleasure. farewell and we'll meet again."

Loni took the oar and worked the boat down the river while his boatsman had the best meal he's had in a long time.

To be continued...

Loni_intavern.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 241K
    dwarfinahurry.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 144K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

A restless night
    During the chilly night in the Long Marshes, Funhir just couldn't really sleep. When his mind slowly wandered into the land of dreams, all he could dream about was his beautiful pregnant wife, and the words she said to him when he told her that Master Glóin had sent him on a mission.

A mission? Master glóin sent you on a mission? Did you tell him that your wife was expecting any day, and that it might be twins? I think you didn't dare to oppose Master Glóin, but I know one who does. Go now, and try to come back in one piece. Tomorrow I will pay Master Glóin a visit and tell him that sending you away will jeopardize his plans to increase the dwarven population. Yes, I will tell him just that.

Funhir just could not believe he had been such a fool, leaving his carrying wife when the babies were to be born any day now. He lay there awake thinking about what a bad husband he was, missing his wife.

To be continued....

funhirs-wife.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 207K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

Really enjoying this story - I love the beardy wife!

edited December 1969

The next day in Lake Town

In the morning, when Funhir's wife went to see Glóin, she learned that he was in Lake Town and would probably be there for several more days. Despite her condition, she put on her best armour and took a fast walk down to Dale, where we commanded a fisherman to take her to Lake Town. No one dared o say no to her or even ask how much she would pay, as the anger in her face and the axe in her hand was convincing enough. She did pay the fisherman for the trip and asked him to stay as she would like to return home after her important errand.

Well in Lake Town, the people were polite enough not to stand in her way. No one messed with an angry dwarf, and she was angry, really angry. She walked straight to building where Glóin had his office while in Lake Town, and when she entered and asked for Glóin, the guards asked her if she had an appointment booked, and she replied "Appointment yes, booked no, but who will stop me?" and gave the guard a stare that made him step aside and then she kicked in the door without bothering about using the handle, walked straight to the desk of Glóin and placed her axe into it to get his attention. Glóin was startled and looked at the angry, but very cut woman across his desk.

– "Master Glóin, how dare you? How dare you send my husband on a mission when I am carrying his children? Yes, you heard me right. I'm about to deliver his twins any day and my husband is away on some stupid mission. Get him back now. Send someone else, like your son Gimli, or anyone else, but I need my husband with me. Do you understand?"

Glóin was chocked, but he knew what dwarven women were like, he was married to one himself. He also knew how important it was that the husband was nearby when the child, or in this case children were delivered. He looked at her and said calmy: – "My dear lady, I will send someone to replace him and order him back home. I will send Flói, son of Lóni, and I assure you your husband Funhir will soon be home again. I am so sorry for this, I should have checked with him first. Now, can you please remove your axe, I was reading that document and it is somewhat disturbing to have a blade in it."

She calmed down, took her axe, and said Thank you Master Glóin before she left. She was much more calm now, the rage had settled, and on the journey back home she even whistled lullabies, she was practicing for the years to come.

To be continued ...

at-gloin-again.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 295K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Never mess with a Mother.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well I don't know how I missed this thread. Very cool and entertaining thread Totte, keeping listening to those voices.

I love the 3rd image in post one, page one. Bloody hilarious.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well I don't know how I missed this thread. Very cool and entertaining thread Totte, keeping listening to those voices.

I love the 3rd image in post one, page one. Bloody hilarious.

I thought I could hide from you Pete ;-)