RIP Jon Lord

riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://jonlord.org/

He was one of my biggest musical influences growing up, along with Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. It's sad to see him gone.

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,683
    edited December 1969

Cancer takes away so many good people

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Oh no, that's very sad. I was a big fan of Purple when I was a teenager and saw them live a couple of times. Every great rock Hammond player has a unique sound (Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks and Tony Kaye also spring to mind—all with their own unique sounds) and Jon Lord was certainly no exception, but what I think singles him out was his incredible "feel"—much more bluesy and jazzy than his peers. I have to go and listen to "Lazy" right now!

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Oh no, that's very sad. I was a big fan of Purple when I was a teenager and saw them live a couple of times. Every great rock Hammond player has a unique sound (Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks and Tony Kaye also spring to mind—all with their own unique sounds) and Jon Lord was certainly no exception, but what I think singles him out was his incredible "feel"—much more bluesy and jazzy than his peers. I have to go and listen to "Lazy" right now!

Yeah, even though I'm a major prog fan, Lord probably had more influence on my personal playing style than any other Hammond player. Lazy is a good choice. Give a close listen to Hush, from their first album; you can tell that Lord overdubbed two Hammond parts for the solo. And Highway Star has one of the best Hammond solos I've ever heard. I was impressed with Don Airey's comment on learning the song when he took over after Lord's retirement; he's a very talented musician himself, and had a hard time learning Lord's solo from HS. It took me several days, listening to it slowed down in my computer, to learn it, so hearing that someone who's really good didn't find it easy made me feel like I really accomplished something.

I doubt that I'll every accomplish anything like Lord did during his life, though. He was one of a kind.

• OldNickOldNick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...somebody took my car.

edited December 1969

OldNick said:
    ...somebody took my car.

I'm not sure I recognize the reference.

• OldNickOldNick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just sadly ironic. Words of Highway Star "nobody's gonna take my car" and now it's gone.

edited December 1969

OldNick said:
    Just sadly ironic. Words of Highway Star "nobody's gonna take my car" and now it's gone.

It makes perfect sense now. I'll have to give it another listen later. Now, though, it's time for bed.