BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►New Year Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ͠͠ ͠~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~ H2O ͠~͠~~͠

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited January 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Seventh DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "H2O"

H2O, or water if you prefer.

So basically water in one form or another. Whether it be open seas, tumbling waterfalls, babbling brooks, or something I’ve seen too much of lately…..rain. Feel free to use imports and postwork is allowed but not so that it dominates your image. Ok, Bryce away!

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that. I collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 28th February :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

͠

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

01 - Frost Bite

01_H2O.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 328K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I'll post this one here then in case I get side tracked.

Mammoth render at 16 hours... The mixture of glass, water, IBL and TA is a killer... My processor says it's thirsty work... Best not give it a glass of water though. :)

GlassOfWater.jpg
    422 x 650 - 180K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll post this one here then in case I get side tracked.

Mammoth render at 16 hours... The mixture of glass, water, IBL and TA is a killer... My processor says it's thirsty work... Best not give it a glass of water though. :)

Beautiful work - really love the realism of the water in this. I can really relate to the long render times on an image like this.

Bruce / goshtac

edited December 1969

H2O 2 - done
    Remembering the good old days !

01_H2O_2.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 730K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2014

Have a long Bryce ani., render going at the moment, so had time to tackle the below, which was brewing towards finality for a while.

David’s caustic vid was very helpful, however, as it was a fine balance between too much light, too much caustic-effect...etc.,, don’t know if it shows up in the work below (hints do appear in the shadows). Certainly, when the caustic gel was deleted the render lacked, so including it is contributing if it isn't very obvious.

Title: “Daddy...a star!”

Jay

starfish.jpg
    879 x 734 - 1M
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@bigh: That's a cute scene.

@Jay: Only when I looked at the feet did I realize they are standing in water. Perhaps some ripples would help make the water look more like water?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: That's a cute scene.

@Jay: Only when I looked at the feet did I realize they are standing in water. Perhaps some ripples would help make the water look more like water?

thank you

edited January 2014

Guss...many thanks - good eye, good suggestrion.

Initial works, I did have more ripples, but as you see below, daddy's feet end up having several toes to nearly none...hahaaa (don't know if that is more convincing). Will have another look at it - perhaps it might be an issue of having more ripples, while adjusting the frequency using the x, y and z coords in the Edit Texture thingy (in the Mat Lab...etc.,).

Jay

inthetropics.jpg
    870 x 815 - 1M
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

How hard could it be . . . to boil a frog?

BoilFrogWIP3.jpg
    832 x 512 - 424K
    edited December 1969

How hard could it be . . . to boil a frog?

Love it, Stryder...looks like he doesn't care - seeing he's giving us the two ;)

Jay

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755
    edited December 1969

@bigh. Aren't you a little late for the 'frozen' theme? Well' ice tends to be frozen H2O, so who cares: nice work!
    Your second render has some nice water too.

@TheSavage64: Will be difficult to beat that one! Only thing that can be improved (in my humble opinion) is the rather unrealistic spill on the floor. Too many 'arms and legs' for a realistic spill, I think.

@Jamahoney: Very nice. The ripples work nicely, but maybe a bit too much on the toes, indeed!

@Frogsoup, who doesn't want one every week? Very nice render!

I'not too sure that I will enter this time. Well, why not just put up a recent one that I also put on Renderosity (is that allowed?) I might want to change the POV and rerender later. Focus is not on the water, but it is there!

losing_branches.jpg
    695 x 695 - 438K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

There are not many rules, but the first rule does say ''All renders must be new renders.''

edited December 1969

@Jay: Well, ripples, water itself, does produce multiple images because of refraction. But those ripples look like they're working overtime and maybe a bit to aggressive. Your idea of adjusting the frequency sounds right.

@JStryder: That's an extremely cute scene. The atmosphere of not a care in the world is spot on.

@hansmar: You've got an interesting scene there.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    There are not many rules, but the first rule does say ''All renders must be new renders.''

Sorry, forgot that rule. So my render is out, I agree.

@GussNemo: Thanks.

edited December 1969

OK, I did find time and inspiration to make one entry.
    All new render. Mostly made in Bryce, except for the kind of 'collar' you see at the top just below the top 'drop'. This (only the collar, not the drops jumping from it) was made in Hexagon. I tried several approaches in Bryce, but never came close enough to what I wanted.
    Most of the elements are made from metaballs and tori.

This render is new, but I need to credit my source of inspiration. You can find it here: http://speedbird1961.deviantart.com/art/Water-Drops-65720147. It is a photo of water drops. Many similar photos can be found on this and other websites. It needs special equipment to capture such photos.

I am rather happy with the result, though there are things that could be improved, given more time and effort. However, I don't seem to have a lot of time before the end of this month, so I probably will leave it at this version.

Rendering with Super (fine art aliasing). Textures of water and drops etc. are partly modified 'warm sea' texture that was part of the Bryce 7 package. I slightly changed the contrast with Picturenaut and added the name in PSE

Hope you like it!

waterdrops.jpg
    960 x 720 - 626K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

This challenge has already started with great entries.

Title: Mountains in Rain
    Product used: none
    Tower in water is the Pointed Thingy by David Brinnen
    HDRI used is (yet) the unpublished Illpass

MountainsInRain.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 420K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

HORO: Beautiful scene from you ( As always ) To me that looks as good as any great scenic photo. Very nicely done sir!

Bruce

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Thank you Bruce! Boring colours, shallow contrast and rainy weather are a reality (had it yesterday) but don't make such crisp renders as a sunny one (which we had today).

edited December 1969

@Hansmar: That's a cool image. Has a playful quality to it.

@Horo: A gorgeous scene. And it really does look like a rain storm in the mountains. Water is fabulous.

edited December 1969

Great entries from everyone... but we need more... So in the words of Eddie Cochran: "Come on everybody" :-)

And so to my second entry... A ship on rough water in the rain... I didn't really need to explain that, it's quiet obvious what it is :lol:

Watercolour.jpg
    1111 x 500 - 496K
    edited January 2014

Horo...that's gorgeous, as, too, with Savage's work.

It's odd that there aren't more entries this late in the competition, as, if any theme Bryce is certainly capable of producing works in, it has to be water scenes. Let's hope there'll be a late-deadline rush towards the 28th Feb (Edited).

Jay

edited December 1969

Thanks Jay.

The competition doesn't close until 28th Feb, so there's still a while to go yet. :)

edited January 2014

The competition doesn’t close until 28th Feb...

Oops, better edit my above post, lest there be confusion. Thanks Savage.

Jay

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

LOL The contest now runs for roughly 6 weeks each time, but as Orbital got the new theme to me quickly this one got an extra bit of time.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Beautiful renders from everyone.

When Chohole posted the theme for this challenge, I immediately knew what I wanted to do. Although the setup it simple, it took me forever to set it up … positioning the objects, the camera, the lighting and hardest of all the material for the water drops. Eventually I settled for Rashad’s Automotive Glass from Bryce5.com

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Drops4Life

H2ochallenge.jpg
    600 x 600 - 52K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited January 2014

@Horo: A wonderful dismal scene. The water of the lake looks especially good.

@Savage64: Gorgeous storm scene.

@mermaid010: Nice idea and well made. I think you should bring out the rain drops a bit more. To achive that a bit more specularity might help. You could use a distant light with no light, but a bit of specularity and include only the rain drops. You have to experiment with the position (the roller ball in the light window) to get pleasing results.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010: Nice idea and well made. I think you should bring out the rain drops a bit more. To achive that a bit more specularity might help. You could use a distant light with no light, but a bit of specularity and include only the rain drops. You have to experiment with the position (the roller ball in the light window) to get pleasing results.

It was only after I used a radial light, lowering the Diffuse and Specular to 10 and including only the drops, did I get some sort of drops. I’ll replace the radial light with a distant one and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

edited December 1969

@Horo, Looks like rain coming indeed.

@Thesavage64: You took of from Horo's picture, it looks. Real rain, it seems.

@mermaid010: Took some while before I saw the drops. Maybe use a lower POV, so the drops are not hidden by the street? And the street looks a bit too fuzzy. Maybe use another texture (or make some tiles yourself).

And I apologise for confusing everybody by indicating in an earlier mail that the contest was only this month. I simply misread. Maybe I will find time for another try!

edited December 1969

@Dave: That's an awfully nice scene.

@mermaid: Leave to flower seeds to find a place to grow.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Here's my first entry. I think I'll call it "Morning Calm". Bryce for the terrains etc. To create the waterfall I made a height map using a waterfall brush from a set I have for photoshop then applied it in the terrain editor. I then placed a volumetric sphere around the waterfall terrain and adjusted the fuzziness etc of the mat. The trees are all downloads from the web with most coming from archive 3d. A good resource site that, as the models are not memory heavy but still look good. Slight colour correction with photoshop and adjustments to the waterfall to correct volumetric anomalies that occurred in the render.
    Some fantastic entries so far!

yosemite_copy.jpg
    975 x 650 - 645K