Off to the Retirement Home for TC2?

acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
edited January 2016 in The Commons

Post edited by acanthis on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...woah, that's a twist. Usually it's Mac users have been getting the "back seat" so to say.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

I didn't see anything like that on their website.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the products. I use the defaults for the older figures when I want to use them, and otherwise I think a better investment would be some of the newer figures.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited January 2016

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...hopefully someone will move into fill the void.

Does TC2 even work with Genesis and Genesis 2?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited January 2014

Daz Studio has map transfer built in which is free and more accurate, so in a way the void has already been filled:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited January 2016

edited January 2014

Yep:). You will need The UV maps from the legacy shapes. Basically you can transfer from whatever UV is populated on your Genesis1\2. Here is some tutorials

http://kaos3d.deviantart.com/journal/Daz-Studio-4-Map-Transfer-Mini-Tutorial-303888794

http://kaos3d.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-The-Map-Transfer-Utility-368686796

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited January 2016

edited December 1969

Cool:) I use it all the time, if you experience any issues just post them. Make sure the settings are on full. The higher the settings, better the conversion. Also only do one group at a time (eg all maps starting with 1) or you might get some weird results. So you would do all face, torso and limb conversions seperately.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Sadly, I haven't had much luck converting my K4 textures using the map transfer utility. I keep getting seams on the joints between surfaces which can be really noticeable. I think it's a bit hit and miss at times, so some textures may convert better than others. It's for this reason alone that I think I'll keep TC2 in reserve :)

edited January 2016

edited January 2014

edited

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited January 2016

edited December 1969

You don't need any shape dialled. Just load on the texture map you wish to convert and then go to map transfer and follow the steps in the tutorial

edited January 2016

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    In order for Genesis to register V3 UV maps you need to have the following http://www.daz3d.com/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis
    Sadly, that product only gives you the shapes and does NOT include UV's for Genesis V3. As others have pointed out, the material zones are widely different between Generation 4 and 3 and the V3 textures are not divided in the same way either.

TC2 is pretty much the only way I know of to convert V3 textures to V4 and beyond. To be fair though, many V3 textures are showing their age, so I never bought the plugins for the older generation of figures.

edited December 1969

It works like this. Say I want to convert a V5 texture set to be converted to V3. I load the V5 texture set onto Genesis, then in map transfer, set the output to V3. It will now convert the V5 texture to V3 UV.

edited January 2016

edited January 2014

Zev0 said:
    In order for Genesis to register V3 UV maps you need to have the following http://www.daz3d.com/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis
    Sadly, that product only gives you the shapes and does NOT include UV's for Genesis V3. As others have pointed out, the material zones are widely different between Generation 4 and 3 and the V3 textures are not divided in the same way either.

TC2 is pretty much the only way I know of to convert V3 textures to V4 and beyond. To be fair though, many V3 textures are showing their age, so I never bought the plugins for the older generation of figures.

As far as I remember the Genesis1 version of the shapes provides the UV as well. I know the ones for Genesis2 does not.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited January 2016

edited January 2014

Oh Crap, HeraldOfFire you are correct......my mistake...I don't have them either. Why the hell did I think I had them:( sigh...sorry I apologize. Ok this is a clear sign that I need to go sleep:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited January 2016

edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    Zev0 said:
    Oh Crap......my mistake...I don't have them either. Why the hell did I think I had them:( sigh...sorry I apologize.

That's OK.

Although Gen3 is effectively dead, I think there might still be a market for a DAZ Studio Plugin that would allow you to select a MAT INJection Pose file for a Gen3 product and then convert (and automatically apply) the textures to Genesis/Genesis 2. Not sure how hard that would be, but TC2 was possible so I assume it could be done.The way TC2 works is by mapping out each polygon on the target figure to the source figure and working out how the texture would appear in that area. It then copies that portion of the texture onto a new texture map for the target polygons. It's for this reason that TC2 can work with extremely different figures, no matter how the textures are laid out.

Applying V3 textures to Genesis could never be as simple as double-clicking since the resulting texture maps would be very different from the source. Still, TC2 is still sold for the PC in the Daz store, along with the V3 plugin. You'll want to buy plugins for the source figure and the end figure. Converting to V4 will give you compatibility with Genesis and Genesis 2, so I'd recommend starting with those two.

edited January 2016

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Sadly, I haven't had much luck converting my K4 textures using the map transfer utility. I keep getting seams on the joints between surfaces which can be really noticeable. I think it's a bit hit and miss at times, so some textures may convert better than others. It's for this reason alone that I think I'll keep TC2 in reserve :)

The reason for this is that DAZ for whatever reason chose not to create a K4 shape for Genesis. Which doesn't make sense. They of course can claim all they want that there was no need for Young Teen or Preschooler iconic shapes for Genesis because in theory they could all use the same maps (in theory because if stretching an other textural issues). Gen 4 had only 3 base mesh shapes. V4, M4 and K4. Would it have been so difficult to create the K4 shape for Genesis?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited January 2014

acanthis said:
    Zev0 said:
    Oh Crap......my mistake...I don't have them either. Why the hell did I think I had them:( sigh...sorry I apologize.

That's OK.

Although Gen3 is effectively dead, I think there might still be a market for a DAZ Studio Plugin that would allow you to select a MAT INJection Pose file for a Gen3 product and then convert (and automatically apply) the textures to Genesis/Genesis 2. Not sure how hard that would be, but TC2 was possible so I assume it could be done.

You still need TC2 to go from V3 to V4. Genesis does not support Gen3 UVs.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited January 2016

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I can vouch that TC2 usually does a very good job on converting Gen 3 textures. I only have V3/M3 to V4/M4 converters and it pretty much covers all that I need to convert.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    The reason for this is that DAZ for whatever reason chose not to create a K4 shape for Genesis. Which doesn't make sense. They of course can claim all they want that there was no need for Young Teen or Preschooler iconic shapes for Genesis because in theory they could all use the same maps (in theory because if stretching an other textural issues). Gen 4 had only 3 base mesh shapes. V4, M4 and K4. Would it have been so difficult to create the K4 shape for Genesis?
    Genesis already has Kids 4 UV's as an option though. The shape doesn't matter since all it's really doing is matching which part of the mesh matches which part of the texture. That said, I haven't had much luck converting V4 to V5 when testing the map transfer utility either, as I still get seams there too.

Maybe it works better with some textures, but as I said earlier, I still prefer TC2 if I need to transfer textures.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited January 2014

EDIT, Post removed by poster

Post edited by Kharma on