grid for bryce

menschtxmenschtx Posts: 8
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Don't know if recent post got in - got a browser update, question is does bryce 7 have a grid to use rather than guessing where and obj goes. Other than the ground plan?

Comments

• edited December 1969

menschtx said:
    Don't know if recent post got in - got a browser update, question is does bryce 7 have a grid to use rather than guessing where and obj goes. Other than the ground plan?

Hello menschtx,

There is an invisible grid of 20.48 BU intervals. Objects can have their centre-point snapped to that. If you always build in World Centre then this invisible grid may be of some use. There are also keyboard shortcuts to move objects by various intervals. Unfortunately if you want to send objects to places very far away, you have to calculate the position you want, write it down and then change the position attributes of the object. You could use the Stargate principle [Copy and Paste Matrix] if you need to send objects repeatedly to the far end of your Bryce Universe. There are also many advanced techniques for creating artificial grid objects useful for engineering drawing were you want to use decimal units like meters, kilometers and millimeters.

• menschtxmenschtx Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Thank you Kine_magiK,
    My question pertains to moving objects by increments while lining up two objects together, I'll ck out the keyboard short cuts.
    your suggestion to write down the position maybe of help, I'll have to work with it.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Moving objects by increment on a PC "alt > arrow". I think I read somewhere a long time ago that it will nudge an object by 1/8 of a BU.

Cheers
    GG

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

[>] = cursor.

[>] shifts by 5.120 BU.

[>]+[Shift] shifts by 10.240 BU.

[>]+[Alt] shifts 0.080 BU.

[>]+[Shift]+[Alt] shifts 2.560 BU.

• menschtxmenschtx Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this invaluable information

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@ Horo,agree with menschtx. I assume thats for PC.

Cheers
    GG

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

@kiwi_gg - yes, it is for the PC. But I'm sure there are some keys with different names on the Mac that do the same. After all, Bryce started as a Mac only program and those key combinations have been with us for a long while.

• edited July 2012

menschtx said:
    Thank you Kine_magiK,
    My question pertains to moving objects by increments while lining up two objects together, I'll ck out the keyboard short cuts.
    your suggestion to write down the position maybe of help, I'll have to work with it.

Hello menschtx,

Our trustworthy friend Horo has given you all the shortcuts. I was too lazy to do so. Over the past months i have been working on a chart of all those values [covering the min/max Bryce limits] and also X8 modelling and Torus values and equations to make spirals. It is a lot of work and i don't like to publish anything unless i am happy with it. Also my StarGate technology is quite cool but it will have to wait until the IL tutorial parts are completed [ but i may be able to fit that into one of the IL tutorial parts]. With the StarGate technology you can build and view at the very end of the Bryce Universe from World Centre. You can even send the camera [sic] and lights to any of your StarGates [and then view and render without getting lost and fiddling around for hours]! By the way the maximum distance you can send objects to [or return them from] your Alien Worlds is 102,400 BU. Since i love science fiction and astronomical subjects, i scale my Outer Space work to that limit. It is quite exiting to have created an entire universe and be able to move from one star or planet to the other with reasonably large distances between them so that animations are relatively realistic as a starship approaches a planet.There is also a minimum size limit but it need not concern us now.

Well i have a lot of work to do tonite.

Peter

PS what you see below is all my own work - no downloaded or purchased content. All created by me out of nothing and placed millions of light years away at Atmariul - my home world!! BRYCE rules FOR ETERNITY !!

Untitled.jpg
    800 x 453 - 29K
    Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on