Does DAZ Want To Add A SHAPEWAYS 3D Print Service/Store?

ColinKColinK Posts: 41
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Since I first noticed DAZ back in about 2004 I've wanted 3D printed RPG figures, model planes, ships and other objects.

Of course, since DAZ models are not "water tight" they would not 3D print without LOTS of work and I believe the EULA forbids ME from sending DAZ and DAZ-derived models to SHAPEWAYS.

I now own several inexpensive desktop 3D printers of my own and have begun the laborious process of converting a digital copy of one DAZ model into a 3D printable mesh, using the mesh editing tools in RHINO 3D. Ugh!

I would love to hear any pointers or comments about this that others in the DAZ community might offer.

More to the point, I would like to hear from DAZ staffers what they think about the following:

1) Is this a horrible, BAD idea because the DAZ tools really are not intended to create 3D printable models, and there is no plan for them to do this in the near future?

2) Is this a waste of time because there are software tools that can do what I want MUCH more quickly and efficiently, depending on how much money I want to spend. Yes, I have heard about MAGICS ( http://software.materialise.com/magics ). No, I have not purchased a copy. Yet.

3) Assuming there MIGHT be some really good software tool that quickly and easily converts DAZ models to 3D printable objects, does it make sense for DAZ to contract with a 3D printing company, maybe even buy a few 3D printers (some day) and begin selling the service of 3D printing models I submit to some not yet created new option in the DAZ store?

Basically, does it make good TECHNICAL sense, AND good BUSINESS sense for DAZ to add to the DAZ Store a 3D printing service similar to SHAPEWAYS ( www.shapeways.com ) ?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ColinK said:
    Since I first noticed DAZ back in about 2004 I've wanted 3D printed RPG figures, model planes, ships and other objects.

Of course, since DAZ models are not "water tight" they would not 3D print without LOTS of work and I believe the EULA forbids ME from sending DAZ and DAZ-derived models to SHAPEWAYS.

I now own several inexpensive desktop 3D printers of my own and have begun the laborious process of converting a digital copy of one DAZ model into a 3D printable mesh, using the mesh editing tools in RHINO 3D. Ugh!

I would love to hear any pointers or comments about this that others in the DAZ community might offer.

More to the point, I would like to hear from DAZ staffers what they think about the following:

1) Is this a horrible, BAD idea because the DAZ tools really are not intended to create 3D printable models, and there is no plan for them to do this in the near future?

2) Is this a waste of time because there are software tools that can do what I want MUCH more quickly and efficiently, depending on how much money I want to spend. Yes, I have heard about MAGICS ( http://software.materialise.com/magics ). No, I have not purchased a copy. Yet.

3) Assuming there MIGHT be some really good software tool that quickly and easily converts DAZ models to 3D printable objects, does it make sense for DAZ to contract with a 3D printing company, maybe even buy a few 3D printers (some day) and begin selling the service of 3D printing models I submit to some not yet created new option in the DAZ store?

Basically, does it make good TECHNICAL sense, AND good BUSINESS sense for DAZ to add to the DAZ Store a 3D printing service similar to SHAPEWAYS ( www.shapeways.com ) ?

we had this years ago - didn't fly .

• ColinKColinK Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Any idea why it failed to fly?

I'm guessing the technical challenges are still difficult and expensive, then there is the business challenge of selling enough models to enough customers.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You need to contact DAZ 3D directly to get answers for questions like this. The forum is for forum members and they can't speak for DAZ 3D.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

ColinK said:

It is time consuming to correct meshes in general if they were not constructed for 3d printing from the start. Even if you have the right software. I would also look at nefabb in addition to Magics. Magics is ridiculously expensive and does not function any better than netfabb pro, which is less than 1/3 the cost of Magics.

Then there's the licensing issue with Daz figures which, as I understand it, still has not been resolved. It appears you cannot buy a 3d printing license yet. someone please jump in if there is one available now.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Hexagon is really good for editing meshes. I use it along with netfabb. You can make anything printable if you understand the limitations of the printer and the material.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Then there's the licensing issue with Daz figures which, as I understand it, still has not been resolved. It appears you cannot buy a 3d printing license yet. someone please jump in if there is one available now.

Also keep in mind that even beyond DAZ models, if you're thinking of using content created by someone else, "printing" it and selling the figure, you're probably in violation of the terms of use for that artist as well. Most of the licenses for the content in your runtime today limit you to using the content to creating images and animations, creating a 3D representation of a dress, armor, monster, etc. that a PA created would violate that license.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    Most of the licenses for the content in your runtime today limit you to using the content to creating images and animations, creating a 3D representation of a dress, armor, monster, etc. that a PA created would violate that license.

Isn't ALL the content bought in the DAZ store, basically under the SAME license? (game-dev license is 'extra'...so doesn't count for this purpose) So wouldn't the terms be the same for everything?

And right now, aren't those terms basically...it's allowed...sort of, when the details are hammered out...which will be...(no, not going to say it...no...no...oh spit...) soon?

Now content bought elsewhere has differing terms, so what is 'good' here doesn't apply anywhere else...or the other way around.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

From the DAZ EULA: http://www.daz3d.com/eula

Three Dimensional Works. DAZ wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that:

1.any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and

2.upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived or additional three-dimensional works User has created from the Content, if DAZ has determined, in its sole discretion, that (i) such additional or derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) such additional or derived work fails to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store as described above.

The creation of three-dimensional physical images (3D-print, molded copy, CNC-routed copy, and the like) of Content or any three-dimensional art derived from the Content is permitted only by User’s purchase from DAZ, via the User’s online DAZ store account, of permission to deliver User’s derived works (art), including necessary Content, to an entity that creates three-dimensional images in a physical medium. User may then deliver User’s art in file format to that third party to have three-dimensional physical images printed or created, up to the limitations set forth in the online DAZ Store as delineated on the purchase page associated with the permission purchased. These limitations govern (i) personal and/or commercial use of the three-dimensional physical or printed images; and (ii) the quantity of three dimensional physical or printed images allowed.