Materials lab - Surface materials - Volume materials - how to change?

KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

OK, stupid question of the day:
how do I choose in the Materials lab what kind of material I want to apply?
I think the default is Surface materials, so how do I get the material settings for volume materials?
:red:

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

There are many sub-libraries where you can also find volume materials. In the Materials Lab, there is a round button next to the thumbnail showing the material. That button is labeled Surface. Click on it and it changes to Volume.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2012

If I'm understanding you correctly. You need to click on the button I've highlighted with a red ring in the first screen grab shown below and you then get the options shown in the second screen grab below. To go back to 'surface' just click the same button again.

Hope this helps

ETA: I see Horo beat me to it. :)

Mat-Lab2.jpg
    638 x 503 - 178K
    Mat-Lab1.jpg
    636 x 505 - 194K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited July 2012

@TheSavage64 - exactly, thanks for the pictures. I couldn't supply them the moment I answered the post. (You'd beat me :))

Post edited by Horo on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited July 2012

Hmm, seeing this part of the interface brings back memories of working in Bryce. I really do need to take time to get back and play in it :)

Though the interface can be a bit confusing at times, Kai was an artistic genius.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited July 2012

Gedd said:
    Hmm, seeing this part of the interface brings back memories of working in Bryce. I really do need to take time to get back and play in it :)

Though the interface can be a bit confusing at times, Kai was an artistic genius.

You should never have stoped! :)

Yes, there are folks who find the interface condusing (not professional). Look at it as an adventure game, click on everything and be surprised at what happens. Once you know your way, the UI is easier and more fun to use than a "professional" one. There are exceptions, though. Some tools are burried a bit deep and going to them repeatedly gets a bit tedious. But on the whole, Kai made a great interface - still the greatest for an artist, but probably less so for a scientist.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I love Bryce's quirky interface. I managed to teach myself to use Bryce using an article in a mag (B2 was free on the mag cover). I personally would hate it if anyone took it into their mind to change it in any major way. Bryce is unique and that is half of it's charm.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

What chohole said goes for me too.

Cheers
    GG

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited July 2012

Yes, I probably should have elaborated a bit. I believe Bryce's interface is a perfect example of how an interface can inspire creativity in the people who use it. Poser does the same for some people, but I don't think it achieved the same level as Bryce for an undefinable (on my part) reason. This is something no one who hasn't used Bryce can truly understand probably.

Surprisingly, I really like Hexagon for exactly the opposite reason. It's interface is simple and to the point, with just the right amount of tools to create and not so many as to overwhelm for it's particular market.

No one shoe fits all aye?

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Horo and TheSavage64: THANK YOU! :wow:
    I love this forum and it's inhabitants. :)

Horo said:
    ...Look at it as an adventure game, ...

I do - but that button eluded me. ;)
    Me likes Bryce very much. It's my "I am going to play" software.