edited December 1969

The most important thing that Canada has is.....Me :coolsmirk:

It is all about me afterall

Rawn

:coolsmirk:

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited July 2012

chohole said:
    Yes I won't repeat what my Canadian friends would say if they were told they were American. I think the language would offend against the TOS. Especially the ones from Quebec. Strange a lot of my Canadian friends seem to come from Quebec.

Yeah, the whole "You are not the only Americans" is so very Che Guevara, and a few decades out of fashion, I think.

Anyone who thinks tthat Molson is a prime example of good Canadian beer probably needs to get their tastebuds examined. I wouldn't touch the stuff if I'd just been rescued after crawling for four weeks through the deserted badlands searching in dehydrated desperation in the hollows of fallen trees for puddles of raccoon urine. But give me some Whistler Bear Paw Honey Lager or some Philips Dirty Squirrel Hazelnut Brown, and I'll be happy.

Post edited by Velvet Goblin on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Do you know, all these people who are telling us what Canada does have have so far failed to mention the most important thing that Cananda does have,

It has a rguby team, a rugby union team at that. And it is actually not too bad a rugby team either.

Now that does impress me.

...good point.

...and their "American" style" football is played on a longer pitch than in the US.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,748
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes I won't repeat what my Canadian friends would say if they were told they were American. I think the language would offend against the TOS. Especially the ones from Quebec. Strange a lot of my Canadian friends seem to come from Quebec.

Yeah, the whole "You are not the only Americans" is so very Che Guevara, and a few decades out of fashion, I think.

Anyone who thinks tthat Molson is a prime example of good Canadian beer probably needs to get their tastebuds examined. I wouldn't touch the stuff if I'd just been rescued after crawling for four weeks through the deserted badlands searching in dehydrated desperation in the hollows of fallen trees for puddles of raccoon urine. But give me some Whistler Bear Paw Honey Lager or some Philips Dirty Squirrel Hazelnut Brown, and I'll be happy.

Comments on Canadian Beer almost starts to violate the TOS regulations on "Political" comments. ;)

Lets be careful on whose politics we tread

Rawn

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

American football, huh.

Here on the Celtic fringe of the UK we either admire those who play rugby (preferably rugbyunion) and those who play gaelic football.

edited July 2012

RawArt said:
    chohole said:

Comments on Canadian Beer almost starts to violate the TOS regulations on "Political" comments. ;)

Lets be careful on whose politics we tread

Rawn

...heck, there was even a film about it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

...by far, one of the roughest sports I've seen is not Hockey, Rugby, or even Aussie Rules FB, it;s Hurling.

...basically it's kind of like hockey but played on a grass pitch with sticks (hurleys) and a small hard ball (sliotar). Use of the stick against an opposing player, while discouraged by rules, is still rather commonplace as it is in ice hockey. Mind you, the players including, the goaltender, wear no protective pads as they do in Hockey.

The ball can be propelled fast, exceeding 90 mph. "Tackling" involves use of the body (though shoulder "checking" is forbidden) or hurley.which includes two handed jabs or strikes.

The compulsory use of helmets with faceguards (in this sport which predates recorded Irish history) was only adopted two years ago.

edited July 2012

Yes I suppose, with my association with clubs, that I should admire Hurling as well, but have to admit that I have been an afficianado of Rugby since I was around 11 years old, and by 'eck that's a few years ago.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

I would like to notify everybody that Canada has bacon!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

(Sings) "O Canada..." Sorry, that's all the words I know. I like everyone from everywhere (I'm from Tennessee). I like Canadian bacon...we have it on pizza here; it appears to be ham. *g* Our bacon is much more crispy, salty, and greasy and therefore more fun and artery-clogging ("...these are a few of my favorite things...")
    I won't make fun of what some folks call "football" around the globe, mainly because those sports have been around longer and were the ancestors of our version. The main difference in my opinion would be that in the US version of football, the crippling, life-threatening injuries are more likely to occur on the playing field than in the stands.
    BTW, not all of us Tennesseans are hillbillies (well, I am, but not all of us are).

Don'tcha just love OT threads?
    :cheese:

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..Land of good beer and real hockey.

...just had to say that

...carry on

WHAT?

No Cows?

How bleak...

There's cows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_famous.jpg

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the memory...that was a classic commercial.

Here's another hockey themed one I really liked, the "Jerseyed" video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XdLheUC7kA

Post edited by Wakakanada on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    edited December 1969

Canada seems to be great. I visited Canada once and it was great.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

Australia
    will not say much more or everyone will want to come here!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    edited December 1969

It would be awesome to move to Australia. too expensive to move to Australia.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Australia

Yes, it's definitely on my bucket list...sun, beautiful people...and great beer...mmmm....

edited December 1969

...but I hear there's lots'a big sharks and nasty spiders down there.

.in Canada it only gets cold (and that's only during the winter).

The biggest threats in Canada are moose and are the opposing team's hockey fans. At least they are not poisonous or won't bite your leg off (well, maybe not).

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Australia

don't you get a head hurt being upside down all the time :coolsmirk:

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It would be awesome to move to Australia. too expensive to move to Australia.

Yeah, it would be awesome to learn kanga-jumping.

Like powerbocking....?

That would make a walkabout a breeze...

But the grass is in general not greener on the other side of the fence. However, you could spend a couple of weeks on holiday in Oz (a dream of mine). What freaks me out are the funnel-web spiders. I don't like them. Anyway, here's to a walkabout:
    42439_2_468-430x266.jpg
    430 x 266 - 19K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

no funnel webs in South Australia
    I have lots of redbacks in my shed though and have had brown snakes in the yard at my previous address.
    if you stay out the water the sharks cannot get you, does not help up north with the crocs though.

edited December 1969

walkabout here

walkabout.jpg
    800 x 600 - 240K
    edited December 1969

look riding no hands

look_no_hands.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K
  • Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Canada's got Canadians ... nuff' said, eh!

carry on.... :-)

But . . . the U.S. has Stan Lee, who made the catch phrase "Nuff said" famous . . .

Canada is great!

And we have cows...they are just cooler than other cows ;)

Rawn

. . . and one of my cousins is named Bull, who plays a mean guitar! :cheese:

Do those count?

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

Australia, the land where "environmental hazard" is a tautology.

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

chohole said:

:-/ I've seen that go both ways. Kinda odd how people generalize like that though.
    We're a somewhat "international" area, and I've had a lot of people from different countries ask where I'm from.
    One woman wouldn't accept I'm a local and kept insisting on my heritage, trying to make me into another nationality. :-S Kinda sad my real one wasn't good enough, though, seeing as she liked it enough here to join us. LoL
    Don't ask what that's about. I'd rather not speculate. :lol: Come down to it, every country is beautiful in its own way.

And keeping with the sentiment of the OP: Vive le Canada! :-)

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    chohole said:

:-/ I've seen that go both ways. Kinda odd how people generalize like that though.
    We're a somewhat "international" area, and I've had a lot of people from different countries ask where I'm from.
    One woman wouldn't accept I'm a local and kept insisting on my heritage, trying to make me into another nationality. :-S Kinda sad my real one wasn't good enough, though, seeing as she liked it enough here to join us. LoL
    Don't ask what that's about. I'd rather not speculate. :lol: Come down to it, every country is beautiful in its own way.

Hah! I've been mistaken for a Swede... >:(

edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    chohole said:

Hah! I've been mistaken for a Swede... >:(

Could have been worse, they could have thought you were the Swedish chef
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

...when I moved from North Central Wisconsin to Seattle, people kept mistaking me for being Canadian.