John Carter - Princess Déjà vu

GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
edited July 2012 in The Commons

Just recently saw John Carter on DVD. Thought it was great action movie. Then it struck me how similar the lead actress for the Martian Princess Dejah Thoris is to Daio's Zavia Red Martian Princess for V4. Considering that Daio's product was made long before the movie I wonder if it inspired their choice for the Martian Princess. This would have to be one of the ultimate spot Daz products. ;-)

Post edited by Gigabeat on

Comments

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

Following link is to some concept artwork by Michael Kutsche and Ryan Church for the John Carter movie. Awesome ship designs. Enjoy.

http://godsofart.com/john-carter-concept-art

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited December 1969

Pretty sure it's the other way around since imagery for Dejah Thoris has been around for quite awhile. Do a google search for Dejah Thoris and look thru the images. John Carter of Mars is an old Edgar Rice Burroughs story, I think around 1917. I really liked the movie, hope it does enough in residual sales to warrant a sequel.

edited December 1969

@FSMCDesigns. Yep, just did a Google image check. Most of the martian princesses images do share similar facial features.
    Another consistency is the size of their Olympus Mons ;-P What varies most widely is their wardrobe (or the lack of). :lol:

[alone in Dejah's bridal suite]
    John Carter: You look beautiful.
    Dejah Thoris: It's traditional Zodangan, worn by the grooms mother I'm told. It's a little vulgar for my taste, but my opinions are about to become irrelevant.

edited July 2012

My favourite Alien princess (& costume) is Ornella Muti as Princess Aura in Flash Gordon. A teenage fantasy. Sigh! :red:
    Alluring sultry voice and smoldering eyes. But a little too hot for a Disney production.:coolgrin:

GetPicture.asp_.jpg
    525 x 224 - 37K
    Post edited by Gigabeat on
  • MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

GigaBeat said:
    Just recently saw John Carter on DVD. Thought it was great action movie. Then it struck me how similar the lead actress for the Martian Princess Dejah Thoris is to Daio's Zavia Red Martian Princess for V4. Considering that Daio's product was made long before the movie I wonder if it inspired their choice for the Martian Princess. This would have to be one of the ultimate spot Daz products. ;-)

Is it also available on Blu-Ray? May watch it again. Especially if there are deleted scenes or BTS stuff.

And Dejah in this movie was pretty hot too. Another incentive to seeing it again.

• MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

GigaBeat said:
    My favourite Alien princess (& costume) is Ornella Muti as Princess Aura in Flash Gordon. A teenage fantasy. Sigh! :red:
    Alluring sultry voice and smoldering eyes. But a little too hot for a Disney production.:coolgrin:

You have no idea just how much I agree with you. She was definitely my fantasy back then! drool drool