Daz Studio 4 on linux - Ubuntu 12.04 (playoninux)

MarchosiusMarchosius Posts: 69
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi all,

I recently switched over to linux and decided I want to try and get my Daz 3D working on it as well. This takes me one step closer to removing the dual boot into windows I have.

I managed to install Daz 4 on playonlinux, the setup for Daz completes, but the setup for the content management system fails.
Daz runs after the installation, showing me Genisis and the rendering seem to work as well, but without the cms installed I have none of the basic content that comes with Genisis.

If anyone was able to get Daz 4 running on Linux please help me out with this.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Kendall sears is running DS (32 bit) under Linux, though I can't recall what flavour. I'm pretty sure he is using the CMS too, though I think he has made some changes to it. In the meantime, the CMS is needed for the Smart Content pane and for the Categories and Product listings - however, you should have no trouble accessing your content with the Content Library pane under Poser formats and DAZ Studio formats.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

I recently switched over to linux and decided I want to try and get my Daz 3D working on it as well. This takes me one step closer to removing the dual boot into windows I have.

I managed to install Daz 4 on playonlinux, the setup for Daz completes, but the setup for the content management system fails.
    Daz runs after the installation, showing me Genisis and the rendering seem to work as well, but without the cms installed I have none of the basic content that comes with Genisis.

If anyone was able to get Daz 4 running on Linux please help me out with this.

DS4 runs perfectly under Wine. PoL sometimes doesn't get things exactly right. Personally, I use the default Wine installs from the distros under Fedora and Ubuntu. Like Richard said, I have modified CMS to add more features, but the CMS runs just fine "out of the box." One thing to try would be to create a new bottle and use winetricks to install the vcrun2005, and vcrun2010. Afterwards, install DS4.

Also note that your firewall under Ubuntu may get in way if you've got it set too tightly.

Kendall

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

You also don't need the smart content management systemn to find your content - it's all still in the usual DS3-style Content tab. Of course if you prefer the smart content, that's small consolation, but it's still accessable.

• MarchosiusMarchosius Posts: 69
    edited August 2012

I saw that the basic content was available under the content tab, so I will just do things that way.
    What would be the best format to download my purchases in now? Would it be better to get the mac version of the files?
    Just un-zip the files and move them to the right directory for my content or should I still go the windows way and install the content by runing the exe?

Post edited by Marchosius on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Mac version is an installer as well -- if the content has been repacked in plain zips without installers it'll be a single download, not separate Mac and Win.

edited December 1969

I saw that the basic content was available under the content tab, so I will just do things that way.
    What would be the best format to download my purchases in now? Would it be better to get the mac version of the files?
    Just un-zip the files and move them to the right directory for my content or should I still go the windows way and install the content by runing the exe?

You need the Windows installers. Just make sure that you run them in the same bottle as your DS. It is very easy under PoL to accidentally create a new bottle when installing content.

Kendall.

edited December 1969

Ok so i have played a bit in the interface, loaded a cene and some content for Gen, clothes, hair, poses. at some points it takes a bit time to load the content and attach them to the figures. Now I am rendering the scene but it seems to takes it sweet time with the hair.

Is there a way to boost the memory usage for daz? either through wine or daz it self?

8gig ram, i7 and GTX550ti graphics card, it should not take that long

edited December 1969

Ok so i have played a bit in the interface, loaded a cene and some content for Gen, clothes, hair, poses. at some points it takes a bit time to load the content and attach them to the figures. Now I am rendering the scene but it seems to takes it sweet time with the hair.

Is there a way to boost the memory usage for daz? either through wine or daz it self?

8gig ram, i7 and GTX550ti graphics card, it should not take that long

For speeding up the the hair, apply the ubersurface shader and turn off the raytracing and ambient occlusion.

As far a memory goes, no. You're still using the 32 bit version and you're limited by the limitations of Win32. We are getting closer to a workable Win64.

You can always download the Linux 3delight and render natively by having DS4 output .RIB files (you'll need to use collected mode and change some paths) Then you can render at full speed and 64 bits. This is what I do in most cases.

Kendall

edited December 1969

I take it you use the free licence for the linux 3d delight? convertion rate wil kill my country's economy lol

so all i do then is save my cene as a RIB file and render it through that then?
    Any special way I should up 3d delight?

edited August 2012

I am having some trouble installing 3delight on my ubuntu 12.04 system following the readme provided in the download. I cant find any other install documentation for this in 12.04

EDIT: The error i am getting is

bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: ` set path = ($DELIGHT/bin $path)'

This is when I run "source .3delight_csh"

Post edited by Marchosius on
    edited August 2012

I am having some trouble installing 3delight on my ubuntu 12.04 system following the readme provided in the download. I cant find any other install documentation for this in 12.04

EDIT: The error i am getting is

bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    bash: .3delight_csh: line 103: ` set path = ($DELIGHT/bin $path)'

This is when I run "source .3delight_csh"

OK. Under Ubuntu you're more likely using bash than csh. so you'll want to use .3delight_bash instead.

Second, after exporting the RIB (make sure to check the box for collecting the resources or you're in for a world of frustration) you will need to edit the .rib file and point all of the references to the Linux path of the rib/collection directory. DS will write out absolute windows paths into the RIB and you'll need to use a text editor to search/replace those references. I have a set of scripts that do the work for me, but they're not written portably.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

ran the bash file and evrything seems to installed,

Silly question, where do i get the option to export to a rib file?
    been to export and dont find it there

edited December 1969

ran the bash file and evrything seems to installed,

Silly question, where do i get the option to export to a rib file?
    been to export and dont find it there

It's in the "render settings" tab, Advanced Options. At the bottom.

Kendall

edited December 1969

ok did that now. How long does it take for the rib file to be made?

Do I have to wait for the render to complete on the daz side?

hope you dont mind all the questions, apart from being fairly new to linux this is kind of a first for me to go deeper in the render settings of daz as well, I know that try and error will play a big role, but having a mentor helps lol

edited December 1969

ok did that now. How long does it take for the rib file to be made?

Do I have to wait for the render to complete on the daz side?

hope you dont mind all the questions, apart from being fairly new to linux this is kind of a first for me to go deeper in the render settings of daz as well, I know that try and error will play a big role, but having a mentor helps lol

You'll get a render window, but nothing will show. As soon as the DAZ render progress windows disappears you're ready to start working for real.

Kendall

• Member_257874Member_257874 Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Well... didn't work for me. I tried to install (32bit) and I can even start it but it doesn't show a 3D-view at all, only chopped parts of the GUI where the 3D-view should appear. I have no clue why.
    First I tired wine to install it, the installer crashes when trying to install C++ but then continues. Then I tried again with PoL, same happened, installer crashes then contiues and when I start, it doesnt show 3D-view. 64bit doesn't even start.
    I have an i7 with 660TI running on archlinux
    Linux localhost 3.9.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 14 08:12:55 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    WineHQ says, 32bit works out of the box, but not for me...
    I have a game running (Diablo3-like), and it runs smooth with good FPS on PoL...
    Any clue, why I don't see a 3D-view?

Screenshot_-_06292013_-_02:46:07_AM.png
    957 x 525 - 95K
    edited December 1969

mindphuk said:
    Well... didn't work for me. I tried to install (32bit) and I can even start it but it doesn't show a 3D-view at all, only chopped parts of the GUI where the 3D-view should appear. I have no clue why.
    First I tired wine to install it, the installer crashes when trying to install C++ but then continues. Then I tried again with PoL, same happened, installer crashes then contiues and when I start, it doesnt show 3D-view. 64bit doesn't even start.
    I have an i7 with 660TI running on archlinux
    Linux localhost 3.9.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 14 08:12:55 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    WineHQ says, 32bit works out of the box, but not for me...
    I have a game running (Diablo3-like), and it runs smooth with good FPS on PoL...
    Any clue, why I don't see a 3D-view?

I have not been able to run DAZStudio 4.6 under Wine at all. In most cases, OpenGL aborts.

Kendall.

edited December 1969

So there is not a chance?

edited December 1969

mindphuk said:
    So there is not a chance?

I didn't say that... I've not had the time to beat on it recently to determine where the fix lies.

Kendall

edited June 2013

KK. Well I don't have the clue to fix it... well, I installed a windows7 in a virtualbox using my old notebook's key, but for some reason I can not use the controls there. When I want to pan the view, it jumps around like mad although the mouse is working normally. When I drag the pan arrow of the 3D view carefully just a tiny littl, the viewport turns like a few times 360° into random directions.. no clue why. Impossible to navigate this way.
    Wow I so much love this product, but I am using Linux now. :(
    I would even pay for a Linux version but I think the market share of Linux desktops is not wort the effort porting it to Linux, or?

PS: Maybe one of the developers or someone with insight could tell, if something changed in the opengl routine so that it could give a clue why it won't work anymore?

Post edited by Member_257874 on
    edited December 1969

mindphuk said:
    KK. Well I don't have the clue to fix it... well, I installed a windows7 in a virtualbox using my old notebook's key, but for some reason I can not use the controls there. When I want to pan the view, it jumps around like mad although the mouse is working normally. When I drag the pan arrow of the 3D view carefully just a tiny littl, the viewport turns like a few times 360° into random directions.. no clue why. Impossible to navigate this way.
    Wow I so much love this product, but I am using Linux now. :(
    I would even pay for a Linux version but I think the market share of Linux desktops is not wort the effort porting it to Linux, or?

PS: Maybe one of the developers or someone with insight could tell, if something changed in the opengl routine so that it could give a clue why it won't work anymore?

VirtualBox's OpenGL input stream is inadequate for most uses.

Kendall

• canundrum69canundrum69 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I know this topic died 7 months ago, and I hate to dredge it up again, but.
    I have to ask, is there the slightest possibility of some sort of patch, fix or other workaround to running DAZ Studio under Linux?

I really want to start working one some 3D art again, but I don't really want to have to try and convert my life back to windoze.
    I was able to get a copy of Studio 2 working (sort of) under Wine, but it really wasn't working well, just marginally.

Just asking.
    Thanks for listening.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Studio 4.5 (at present) under WINE 1.7.8 in Slackware...no problems. So, yes it's very possible.

Ubuntu is one of the hardest distros I've ever found to work in, almost as many restrictions on what you can do as Windows and nearly has hard to work around...so I can see where it is difficult there. But many of the more 'open' distros, that get WINE updates regularly are going to be pretty easy to set up to run Studio. It's best to use the proprietary video card drivers and make sure they are up to date.

• StevenT2112StevenT2112 Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Can someone help me out? I'm using Ubuntu Studio and I have already installed Wine. I downloaded DAZ Studio 4.6 (64 Bit) and managed to install it. But when I try to run it, it crashes and pops up with a window saying something like "DAZ Studio has encountered a fatal error and must close" and when I click "More..." I get this.

"DAZStudio.exe caused UNKNOWN_ERROR in module "C:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll" at 0033:000000007B849ECA"

I even tried doing this with "Play On Linux" and the same thing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

edited December 1969

Can someone help me out? I'm using Ubuntu Studio and I have already installed Wine. I downloaded DAZ Studio 4.6 (64 Bit) and managed to install it. But when I try to run it, it crashes and pops up with a window saying something like "DAZ Studio has encountered a fatal error and must close" and when I click "More..." I get this.

"DAZStudio.exe caused UNKNOWN_ERROR in module "C:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll" at 0033:000000007B849ECA"

I even tried doing this with "Play On Linux" and the same thing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Honestly, I've not kept up with the status of DS after 4.5 on WINE. Keep in mind that you're more likely to get DS 32 bit running under WINE than the 64 bit, for 2 reasons: 1) The 64 bit code in WINE is still significantly less developed than the 32 bit, and 2) you will need to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries for OpenGL in WINE for your distribution.

My tests with DS4.6 have been "hit-and-miss" (mostly miss) on Linux and WINE. Since February, I have not had a chance to test much at all.

Kendall

• StevenT2112StevenT2112 Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Honestly, I've not kept up with the status of DS after 4.5 on WINE. Keep in mind that you're more likely to get DS 32 bit running under WINE than the 64 bit, for 2 reasons: 1) The 64 bit code in WINE is still significantly less developed than the 32 bit, and 2) you will need to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries for OpenGL in WINE for your distribution.

My tests with DS4.6 have been "hit-and-miss" (mostly miss) on Linux and WINE. Since February, I have not had a chance to test much at all.

Kendall

Yeah. I'm still having problems. uninstalled the 64bit version and installed the 32bit version and installation went fine. Nothing going wrong at all. But when I tried to start the program, it won't even open. Thinking it might be just an issue with the newer version I dug up one of my older set up files for Daz Studio 4.0 and tried to install that. Again, installation went well but I can't seem to get the program to start.

So yeah. Again, what might I be doing wrong? *sigh* I fear that Linux is just way over my head. There's always some sort of catch. I guess I'll just have to stick with Windows for now. :/

edited December 1969

Kendall

Yeah. I'm still having problems. uninstalled the 64bit version and installed the 32bit version and installation went fine. Nothing going wrong at all. But when I tried to start the program, it won't even open. Thinking it might be just an issue with the newer version I dug up one of my older set up files for Daz Studio 4.0 and tried to install that. Again, installation went well but I can't seem to get the program to start.

So yeah. Again, what might I be doing wrong? *sigh* I fear that Linux is just way over my head. There's always some sort of catch. I guess I'll just have to stick with Windows for now. :/

You will need to uninstall your WINE 64 bit as well and install the WINE fox i686. If you are running a 64 bit distrobution, you will also probably need to install the OpenGL 32bit Compatibility packages for your distro.

Some time ago I wrote and posted a step-by-step instruction post in the DAZ Studio forum. You can probably do a search for it. Since it is for the older pre-4.5 versions I cannot guarantee that it still works.

Kendall

• edited December 1969

Why can't DAZ produce a version for Linux? I switched to linux a few years back and stopped using/buying from DAZ due to their lack of linux support.

I am sure I am not the only customer who would like to use DAZ and is willing to pay for it IF it supported linux.