Look at my Hair 1.5 available. PDF Manual Ready! [Commercial]

Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
edited February 2014 in The Commons

And also the PDF manual is finally available, get it here: http://lamh.ovbi.org/1.5/LAMH.manual.1.5.zip

Video tutorials to come very soon!

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited January 2014

Please check your DIM and update! 1.5 update has been released for both the player and full version!

• edited January 2014

Frigging awesome, the number of new features and work done is incredible. Thanks a lot for all your dedication and efforts!

Post edited by richardvmn_b9053009d9 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

Cool, thanks for the update! maybe now i can get it tom work for me. I could never get satisfactory results when i first tried LAMH.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Awesome! Can't wait to get home tonight and try this out. :) Worked 10 hrs yesterday and totally missed the thread!

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

Good news. Hopefully I may remember when I get home. The only query I have at this time, is which version(s) of Studio does it work with - the current release or the current beta?

edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    Good news. Hopefully I may remember when I get home. The only query I have at this time, is which version(s) of Studio does it work with - the current release or the current beta?

Officially we always validate and support only current release version. But it has been reported to work well also on the beta.

edited December 1969

Awesome! Can't wait to get home tonight and try this out. :) Worked 10 hrs yesterday and totally missed the thread!

Hi Kat, if you always want to catch up with what's new with LAMH, you may want to like the FB page or subscribe our log, so that you'll get notified (see my signature for the links).

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

Cannot wait to try this out.
    I have a new character (actually a series of them) in the works that will make full use of LAMH

Rawn

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

This is really exciting. I can't wait to try the instancing :-)

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Hi Kat, if you always want to catch up with what's new with LAMH, you may want to like the FB page or subscribe our log, so that you'll get notified (see my signature for the links).

Thanks, I'll do that. Usually I get the beta email, but was busy and didn't check til this morning. LOL So my own fault. :) I have LOVED the improvements I have tried over the holiday break. It was running great on my machine. Looking forward to the final release as well.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited December 1969

While I believe this is a perfectly safe download, I will mention that my McAfee antivirus is reporting that it contains malware and is blocking downloading it.

Will the updated version be available from DAZ?

Charlie

edited January 2014

While I believe this is a perfectly safe download, I will mention that my McAfee antivirus is reporting that it contains malware and is blocking downloading it.

Will the updated version be available from DAZ?

Charlie

I'd dare to say it's certainly a false positive as we test all files that come out with Nod32 and NAV. Yes the 1.07 will be in DAZ store very soon as a free update, as the latest RC appears to be known robust and tested plentfully.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Can you give some details on the "new fibermesh" vs. OBJ export of the original LAMH release? It sounds like it's still an OBJ from the description in the attached image. Or does LAMH now support exporting cyHair files for Lux to read curve data directly?

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Can you give some details on the "new fibermesh" vs. OBJ export of the original LAMH release? It sounds like it's still an OBJ from the description in the attached image. Or does LAMH now support exporting cyHair files for Lux to read curve data directly?

Hello, OBJ is just a storage format. The FiberHairs are a new method of generation of hair/fur that is significantly different from the way we did it in 1.0.
    As an example, a FiberHair with Polygon Compression of 5, on 500K Hairs will see a size improvement to 450MB over a Generic OBJ of over 700MB, with minimal quality loss.
    The FiberHairs are written to OBJ only because that is the most widely compatible format. We could have used .duf just as easily, but that would make the FiberHairs useless for Poser, Maya, etc..

cyHairs and other technologies are items that we are actively working with. Due to confidentiality agreements, there are certain technologies that we are involved with that cannot be discussed.

edited December 1969

So it sounds like the fiberhair is a replacement algo for tessellating the curves into polygons that results in fewer total vertexes/faces, hence smaller OBJ. But done in a manner such that the difference in render quality is not noticeable. Correct?

Is LAMH generating tris or quads when exporting to OBJ? Are the strands ribbons or solids (meaning 3 or more sides to a 'cylinder' so that normals are always facing outwards)? (When Lux added the cyHair support, it initially only tessellated into ribbons, but the normals direction caused visible problems in renders. So two things were done 1) they added an option to make it face all ribbons at a given location (e.g., towards the camera) and 2) they added the option to generate solids with a default of three sides so all normals face out to make reflections in mirror/etc surfaces also look correct, which just facing the ribbons at the camera can't account for.)

As one who does all their renders with LuxRender, cyHair export would be a pretty awesome feature to see in a future update...

edited December 1969

Also, one advantage to adding an option to LAMH to export to .dsf instead of OBJ is that Studio is converting the OBJ to DSF anyway and storing it in its auto-generated cache. So it's actually taking twice the HD storage space, since Studio doesn't really natively use the OBJ files other than as an import source. Export to other Studio plugins will still work, since Reality/etc get the geometry from Studio in-memory, they never see the actual file on HD.

I agree that OBJ export is very useful for folks that want to use other 3D software, and thus makes sense as the initial generic export format to support.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    So it sounds like the fiberhair is a replacement algo for tessellating the curves into polygons that results in fewer total vertexes/faces, hence smaller OBJ. But done in a manner such that the difference in render quality is not noticeable. Correct?

Due to having competition, I hope you understand that we can't expose our techniques. Our FiberHair actually exceeds the quality of a certain "high end" package that creates a similar type of output. There are improvements coming that will put LAMH even further ahead of our competition. We are not satisfied with just being the best only for DAZStudio and 3Delight.

cwichura said:
    Is LAMH generating tris or quads when exporting to OBJ? Are the strands ribbons or solids (meaning 3 or more sides to a 'cylinder' so that normals are always facing outwards)? (When Lux added the cyHair support, it initially only tessellated into ribbons, but the normals direction caused visible problems in renders. So two things were done 1) they added an option to make it face all ribbons at a given location (e.g., towards the camera) and 2) they added the option to generate solids with a default of three sides so all normals face out to make reflections in mirror/etc surfaces also look correct, which just facing the ribbons at the camera can't account for.)

As evidenced by LAMH's extensive use in Vue and other external packages for Professional Applications, this has not been a problem for LAMH to this point. We will endeavour to keep it from becoming a problem as best we can.

As one who does all their renders with LuxRender, cyHair export would be a pretty awesome feature to see in a future update...

You can be assured that LAMH is *not* going to be a Renderman only package. We never planned it to be. Hair and Fur are also not the only target of our technology. Keep watching, you will be amazed at what Alex and I have planned. :-)

Kendall

edited January 2014

cwichura said:

Sorta.

cwichura said:

Is LAMH generating tris or quads when exporting to OBJ?

Quads!

Are the strands ribbons or solids (meaning 3 or more sides to a 'cylinder' so that normals are always facing outwards)? (When Lux added the cyHair support, it initially only tessellated into ribbons, but the normals direction caused visible problems in renders. So two things were done 1) they added an option to make it face all ribbons at a given location (e.g., towards the camera) and 2) they added the option to generate solids with a default of three sides so all normals face out to make reflections in mirror/etc surfaces also look correct, which just facing the ribbons at the camera can't account for.)

The strands are ribbons and are co-planar, meaning that they do not twist on the vertical axes.

Absolutely. And there is lot lot more boiling in the pent for the future...

• edited December 1969

1.07 works so smooth and rock solid for me, I am really delighted.... Super Happy!!!! :)

edited December 1969

1.07 works so smooth and rock solid for me, I am really delighted.... Super Happy!!!! :)

I'm glad to hear that, a lot of work has been done since 1.0. Really.

• edited December 1969

anyone get the player to install? i get nothing. it installs but only see the uninstalled options in start menu. nothing on desktop. the plugin installed fine. but only can use it to load a preset. . but i can not find the player itself anywhere

edited December 1969

I^NDIA said:
    anyone get the player to install? i get nothing. it installs but only see the uninstalled options in start menu. nothing on desktop. the plugin installed fine. but only can use it to load a preset. . but i can not find the player itself anywhere

The free player only allows loading the presets and rendering them. All of your options are listed on the Pane accessed by Window->Panes (Tabs)->Look at my Hair from inside of DAZStudio.

In order to create new hairs, presets, or modify them, the full plugin is necessary.

Kendall

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Purchased and installed the product today during sale.
    Installed and am starting the learning process.
    Can you tell me if the version listed here to download is a form
    of update to my product?
    Will it work with what I have purchased?
    Or is it best to leave it?
    Thank you

edited December 1969

bicc39 said:
    Purchased and installed the product today during sale.
    Installed and am starting the learning process.
    Can you tell me if the version listed here to download is a form
    of update to my product?
    Will it work with what I have purchased?
    Or is it best to leave it?
    Thank you

Go to: http://bugzilla.look-at-my-hair.com and register for the All Customers Beta program. You will then be allowed to download the latest Release Candidate.

We are hoping to get this RC into the store ASAP, but customers are entitled to download it and use it early.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Downloaded and installed new version(.dll) file.
    Fortunately did not delete old one.
    Only had the program a few hours but can see results on old version.
    New version appears not to work.
    Would not be in a hurry to “get it into store”
    Registered as a beta tester, looks to be a long lonely road.

edited December 1969

bicc39 said:
    Downloaded and installed new version(.dll) file.
    Fortunately did not delete old one.
    Only had the program a few hours but can see results on old version.
    New version appears not to work.
    Would not be in a hurry to “get it into store”
    Registered as a beta tester, looks to be a long lonely road.

The RC3 is reported to work great by a large number of people. Please report any problems you encountered in the bug tracker or LAMH forums.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Humblest apologies, appears to be my fault.
    Too fast to critique.
    Sorry.

edited December 1969

bicc39 said:
    Humblest apologies, appears to be my fault.
    Too fast to critique.
    Sorry.

No Problem. If you encounter a problem, please do not hesitate to report it to the bugtracker and/or LAMH forums.

Kendall

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Looks very exciting. The list does not disappoint in the least.

I'll wait for the final release but wanted to extend a hearty congratulations to the premier team for all things fur and hair for DAZ Studio and beyond!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Best,
    Richard

• BlackAppleAlchemyBlackAppleAlchemy Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

I seem to be having some trouble buying Look at My Hair. It says it's on sale for p off, but shows the regular price when you check out. Anyone know what's going on?