DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.6.2.72!

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited January 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.6.2.72!

What is a BETA?

Despite our best efforts, DAZ 3D cannot possibly test the software under all possible conditions. So, we are providing this version of the application to the general public in order to uncover problems that were not discovered during internal/private testing. We expect that there will still be problems and we hope that when users encounter any problems, they will report them to the Bug Tracker so that they can be validated, prioritized and fixed.

As with any software classified as being in the BETA phase of development, you should expect to encounter bugs. Any bugs you do encounter while using BETA software can vary in terms of severity, from minor features that do not work correctly to problems that cause your computer to crash. Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter.

Another Public Build, so soon?

Yes. We want to provide access to builds that fix issues you may have encountered in the General Release, earlier and more frequently. Obviously we realize that there are users who don't have an interest in using BETA software (see above). However, we also realize that there are many who are willing to use BETA software in order to gain access to fixes and/or new features, earlier.

Public Build, BETA, what is the difference?

Public Build is a release channel. BETA is a phase of development.

DAZ Studio is distributed through four separate channels; Production, Public Build, Private Build and Dev. The Production channel is where the General Release build is distributed and is open to the general public. The Public Build channel is where the builds that are not considered stable yet are provided for testing by the general public; this channel typically provides a build that is in the BETA phase of development, but technically can provide a build in the ALPHA phase. The Private Build channel is similar to the Public Build channel, except it is limited to a select group of individuals that serve as the "front line" or the "canary in a coal mine" for a time before the build is promoted to a less restricted channel; this channel is more likely to see an ALPHA build than the Public Build channel is. The Dev channel is for a much smaller group of individuals; this channel provides "bleeding edge" ALPHA builds; sometimes referred to as "nightly", although the builds are not limited to one per night nor to strictly occurring at night.

Will this Public Build replace the General Release?

While builds in the Public Build channel do eventually replace the build in the Production channel, the existence of a public build does not preclude builds that are currently in the Private Build channel from replacing the General Release before one in the Public Build channel does. One of the reasons we provide a Public Build channel is to gain broader coverage of the various fixes/additions. Sometimes fixes/additions in the Public Build channel are validated more quickly than others and can be integrated into the Production channel while the remaining, more risky, changes are allowed to "bake" a while longer.

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 4.6.2.72 version resolves several issues and implements several improvements since the 4.6.1.39 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.

Public BETA 4 (4.6.2.72) highlights are:
1) Added Render Settings presets to the default load types for the Smart Content pane
2) Image menus are now scrollable
3) Fixed the spawn morph function on DForm modifier
4) Fixed #DS-248/CS155382: Support for Alternate Geometry in Materials Presets
5) Fixed #DS-174: Fixed several sort routines to be case-insensitive
6) Added sorting to the Fit To dialog
7) Fixed #DS-171: Applying a Shader Mixer shader to a surface causes the UV map to be reset
8) Switched property group editing to use a path tree widget instead of a menu
9) Added mass editing of Scalars and Save With to the Property Hierarchy context menu
10) Tweaked the Property Hierarchy pane to be more efficient about when it rebuilds its list; improves experience when selecting nodes within the same hierarchy
11) Fixed ERC Freeze to create links in the correct/consistent order
12) Added a Mode option to the Attenuation group of ERC Freeze; allows Sub-Components to be targeted by the attenuation property
13) Added support for props to ERC Freeze
14) Updated ERC Freeze to use a single node selection drop down menu
15) Added a Keyed (Extract from Play Range) option to ERC Freeze
16) Fixed some styling/sizing issues; the filter field used by property and content views, pane group close buttons and close buttons on close-able tabs
17) Updates/Additions to the scripting API; DzApp::canShowSceneBuilder(), DzComboEdit, DzPropertySelectionComboBox, DzNodeSelectionComboBox

Public BETA 3 (4.6.2.66) highlights are here.
Public BETA 2 (4.6.2.48) highlights are here.
Public BETA 1 (4.6.2.23) highlights are here.

Has the Genesis Starter Essentials, the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials (Male/Female), or the Default Lights and Shaders packages been updated too?

No, the Genesis Starter Essentials, Genesis 2 Starter Essentials or Default Lights and Shaders packages provided with the product have NOT been updated beyond what is currently available with the General Release.

*Note: Install Manager users are notified of product updates when they occur.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product to your account, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "DAZ Studio 4.6 Public Beta" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the BETA from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "DAZ Studio Pro BETA" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the "download & install" button.

If this is your first time downloading DAZ Studio Pro BETA, simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

*Note: This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager. This does not impact the General Release, which will be made available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

Yes! You can have both the General Release and a Public Build (as well as a Private Build, for those involved in that endeavor), of the same major version, installed at the same time. Please be aware that the settings for each of the builds are stored independent of each other. This includes mapped content directories, layout, style and style colors, among many others.

What about the plugins I have?

The DAZ Studio 4.5 SDK has not changed in any way that causes it to be binary incompatible, which means that any plugins created for a previous version of DAZ Studio (4.5.0.114+) should continue to load and function with this build. That said, as with any new release, there is always the possibility that a plugin has had bugs fixed or features added, so the latest versions should be downloaded and installed if they are provided.

Plugins that are currently built/produced by DAZ 3D will provide a separate package specifically intended for the Public Build. 3rd party plugins that DAZ 3D creates install packages for will be updated to allow simultaneous installation into the General Release and the Public/Private builds. These packages will display as "Product Updates" within Install Manager once they have been updated.

Is there any documentation?

Yes. Check out the User Guide and QuickStart Guide that we've recently posted in the DAZ Studio 4.x Documentation section.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

Ok, a very fast update to ...66.
    I like updates, but a question:
    Is there a different in saved files?
    Can I open a file in the last release (4.6.1.39) and in this beta?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

DrPingy said:
    Should not be an issue doing that.
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 1969

DrPingy said:

Yes, you can.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

thank you,, quick up-date.

He he,, I am happy because,, most of what I asked in forum
    seems improved in this beta by other user report,,
    (so need to say thank you them who send report,,)

preset render setting, spawn D-form, short cut customize etc,,

Then Actually in 4.6 2 66, or current product version,
    I felt some difficulty to drug property and make link for ERC .

I planned to send future request,,

if I can copy and paste property with node name, in property hieralchy,,
    it make more easy to set ERC ,,,

if in this beta, I can do it?

anyway,enjoy to play how new beta work,, after finish my work^^;,,

if find something,, I may send ticket, for report or future request,,
    as same as before I did often

• will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

Is there some proper place to provide feedback? I didn't want to do it here if there's an official spot to post the things you find are off about the beta release.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Is there some proper place to provide feedback? I didn't want to do it here if there's an official spot to post the things you find are off about the beta release.

The new bug reporting system is through Zen desk, Tech support. Make sure you tell then in the notes that it is feedback on the Beta.

edited December 1969

Positive feedback, please feel free to post it here, (General feedback too. :) ).

Bugs, please report through a ticket in the Help Center. Link at the top of the page or http://helpdaz.zendesk.com is the direct link and choose "submit a request."

• will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll post there. I really wanted to give some proper feedback.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited January 2014

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

Yes! You can have both the General Release and a Public Build (as well as a Private Build, for those involved in that endeavor), of the same major version, installed at the same time. Please be aware that the settings for each of the builds are stored independent of each other. This includes mapped content directories, layout, style and style colors, among many others.

I just downloaded the new public beta to play with. Is there a file that contains all my preferences that i can just copy from my general release folder to the beta folder so that I don't have to reset all my preferences manually?

Post edited by 3WC on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

I think I got it, I just copied most of the files from my AppData folder under Daz3D to the Daz Public Build folder. Excluding the DAZ Studio exe file, of course. Mostly just the ones that said something like layout or menus.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 1969

DAZ, you are making me very happy with the OPEN RECENT function!
    I am using beta some time now and I am very satisfied so far :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:

Huh?

Wait...they finally included THAT! I've been putting off moving to the beta, because I haven't even installed the last 'normal' release...I guess I know what I'm doing after I get the stuff I'm working on done.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Estroyer said:

Huh?

Wait...they finally included THAT! I've been putting off moving to the beta, because I haven't even installed the last 'normal' release...I guess I know what I'm doing after I get the stuff I'm working on done.The Beta and the Release version sit nicely side by side now. :) No need to wait because you are working on something.

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

I just installed the beta but none of my plug ins or even the morphs for genesis are in there (like the ethnicity morphs and creature creator) Is this supposed to happen? I really don't want to have to install everything by hand to try it out, only to have to do it again for the next one. I've just gotten the last version to work the way I had the previous version before that...if that makes any sense lol.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The beta does not share settings with the general release, so you need to add your content folders to the beta.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited January 2014

Greetings,
    I'll have to make sure that's the version I'm running. I have a scene which is crashing DS, both the stable and public beta versions, but it takes so long I'm having trouble creating a minimal scene to demo it.

I think it has to do with the end of summer hair, or V6 HD morphs, as those are the two changes I made to two DIFFERENT scenes that ended up crashing...

-- Morgan

edit:

Rendering the same character which crashes it regularly, without hair, but with the V6 HD Morphs dialed to 1.0, it crashes (after a long time) with this:

Thread 13 Crashed:
    0 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x00000001131a92ac DlCCSubdivision::SetHSMEdits(unsigned int, DlHSMEdit const* const*) + 124
    1 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x00000001132aead3 DlPackedSubdivisionMesh::SplitForHSM(bool) + 771
    2 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x00000001132746bb DlSceneObject::Unpack(bool, bool, bool, bool, bool, DlVector*) + 123
    3 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x000000011320aff4 DlReyes::ProcessPPrim(DlSceneObject*, DlPrimDispatch::DlBucketGroup const*) + 196
    4 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x000000011320d7c0 DlReyes::ThreadRender() + 2976
    5 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x000000011320ec7f DlReyes::Render(DlDspyBucket*) + 559
    6 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x00000001131fd0e1 DlRenderingSession::Render(DlRIOptions const*) + 785
    7 libdz3delightdll.dylib 0x00000001132d01f4 DoRender() + 68
    8 libdzdelightrenderer.dylib 0x00000001131331f0 DzRenderThread::run() + 42
    9 QtCore 0x000000010329ae9f QThreadPrivate::start(void*) + 373
    10 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff862aa899 _pthread_body + 138
    11 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff862aa72a _pthread_start + 137
    12 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff862aefc9 thread_start + 13

That kind of screams HD morphs, doesn't it...

Deleted the ''code'' format as it was breaking the forum formatting

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Estroyer said:

Huh?

Wait...they finally included THAT! I've been putting off moving to the beta, because I haven't even installed the last 'normal' release...I guess I know what I'm doing after I get the stuff I'm working on done.

The Beta and the Release version sit nicely side by side now. :) No need to wait because you are working on something.

Yes there is...I lost a hard drive few weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet, so I don't have the extra space...I've barely got the space to download the beta.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Estroyer said:

Huh?

The Beta and the Release version sit nicely side by side now. :) No need to wait because you are working on something.

Yes there is...I lost a hard drive few weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet, so I don't have the extra space...I've barely got the space to download the beta.

You don't need the beta to get the function. You just have to update your layout menu. You can do that by executing the "Update and Merge Menus" script which is in My Library\scripts\Utilities

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 406
    edited December 1969

I'm having troubles exporting CR2 with this version