Text Input? Or am I over thinking this!

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I am new to making textures and need some input or to know if I am over thinking this which I often do. I use corel draw x4, paint.net and gimp when making textures.

On this Halloween texture, I need to make the pumpkin on the shirt look more part of the shirt rather than sitting on top of the shirt.

The third image has the most pumpkin art effects.

Thanks
Kimberly

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Two things:

1. The colors used in the pumpkin vary in tonality from the underlying color palatte (of the shirt) and if you bring this closer it will help, either by modifying colors or by using a filter layer above the images to blend them.

2. Try a Gaussian blur on the edges of the pumpkin to help it blend better into the underlying image. This should probably be point 1.

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Heya,

It might blend a bit more if you erase the fine line of white around the edge of the pumpkin. I've found with my own work that sometimes when I add an image with a transparent background that it kind of has that white around the edge and when I erase it it seems to blend much better. Maybe you could add a blanket stitch or something around the outside of the pumpkin too, so it looks more like an applique (not sure of the spelling on that one lol).

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Thank you both for the input. It is very very helpful.

edited July 2012

Well a Gaussian blur to the edge effectively gets rid of the white line.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I use Photoshop when making my textures, and use the layers to blend designs, things like "overlay" will blend things in more if you want the pumkin to look more as though it is painted into the main design

edited December 1969

Yes, thanks for mentioning the layer blending mode that you've found works. Layer blending modes can be tricky, deciding which one works. I often have to poke around till I get what I want :)

edited December 1969

I have found it is particularly useful when laying designs on tee shirts. Also works well with sweaters.

fairisle_Longknit.jpg
    800 x 600 - 272K
    m4_tee_5.png
    600 x 600 - 287K
    edited December 1969

ohhh, we like examples, ty :)

edited July 2012

For KimberSue, I think what would possibly help is to actually make your Pumkin look more as though it is an actual Applique, maybe a little texture on it so it looks more as though it is made of fabric.

Designs are often appliqued onto childrens clothes

gigi_kids_orange.png
    600 x 600 - 175K
    gigi_sunny.png
    600 x 600 - 254K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I use Photoshop when making my textures, and use the layers to blend designs, things like "overlay" will blend things in more if you want the pumkin to look more as though it is painted into the main design

I have been using layers too but I am more of a corel draw person so having to re-learn paint type programs. Thanks for your input.

edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone, I have made a ton of notes and plan to work on learning this.

edited December 1969

Sue I still have Corel Draw, and I started off using that and Corel Photopaint.

I am confident you can get there. Any help you need, just shout. I am always around. I do have a couple or 3 tuts as well, but not one that for what you wnat to do with this.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Sue I still have Corel Draw, and I started off using that and Corel Photopaint.

I am confident you can get there. Any help you need, just shout. I am always around. I do have a couple or 3 tuts as well, but not one that for what you wnat to do with this.

I started with Corel Draw on version 3 however Photopaint has not been update by Corel to keep up with other programs so I playing with Paint.net today and I am sure I will get there. I will yell if I need help.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I was researching photoshop products. What version do you use? I found everything from the elements or CS5 Version?

edited December 1969

I am using a fairly old version, so old I think I am out of the upgrade cycle now. I could afford it when I got it, can't afford to upgrade now.

I actually use PS7.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am using a fairly old version, so old I think I am out of the upgrade cycle now. I could afford it when I got it, can't afford to upgrade now.

I actually use PS7.

I am old fart too and looking for an old version to pick up.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

GIMP is free, but it has its own pecularities. It also allows layering and other standard Photoshoppery foo. It also has something which means I will always install GIMP... "make seamless" feature. I can pick a section of an image and tell it to make a tileable texture out of it. :)