Olympia 6 HD Add-On???

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 2013 in The Commons

what the hell is up with this?

I thought since the V6 HD was out (for Genesis 2 Female)...it would be useable with other things?

Is there more HD details not covered in the V6 HD edition (like other things to add-on)

In other words...are they different? Do they offer different things

Post edited by assmonkey on

Comments

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

To me it seems that Olynpia 6 HD contains noticeable cellulitis on her back side judging by promo pictures.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't tell, the pictures aren't big enough

edited December 1969

Whatever. HD morphs on Olympia look more like jiggled and jammed geometry than some fine details. Maybe it is just failed renders but looking at it I'm not interested.

• Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 396
    edited December 2013

Also, a bit expensive for an add on pack without new textures.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:
    This is what surprised me, same price as V6 HD but no texture
  • nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

No textures and, from what I can tell, very minor detailing that, if I'm not mistaken, is available in the V6 HD pack.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

My question is, if Olympia has one, where's the ones for Gia, Girl, and Josie?

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

yeah, this is the most baffling release by DAZ I've seen in a while. Not only that it's for Olympia instead of Gia, who could probably use the HD morphs more, but why they think they can charge the same price for half the content is kind of beyond me.

I would assume they just forgot to advertise it on the product page, but then there's no promo pictures for a new texture either...

And then I go to the snowball promotion and there's only two items for yesterday when I was pretty sure there were seven.

They really need to get their daily updates in order, the day has 24 hours, the shop is 'open' 24 hours but for around 8 of those hours their new releases are just not ready to be sold.

edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    .., but why they think they can charge the same price for half the content is kind of beyond me.

This is not the first time for them.
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

I got the Victoria and Michael HD sets, because it seemed reasonable with the textures. But without a texture, I think I will give this one a pass.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I can’t tell, the pictures aren’t big enough

Right click on the promo image and open it full sized in a new tab.

And then I go to the snowball promotion and there’s only two items for yesterday when I was pretty sure there were seven.

The store glitch yesterday meant there were no new snowball products for the day. The two now showing are from previous days and I'm not sure why they are there.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

I got the Victoria and Michael HD sets, because it seemed reasonable with the textures. But without a texture, I think I will give this one a pass.

Ditto'ng this -- the 51% intro-discount stacking with my snowballs means the price I'd get it today is the lowest I'm likely to ever see it available, but there've been a lot of those this month! :ohh: I've already got the V6/M6 HDs, and I'm not sure how much I'll be using O6 anyway . . . :-/
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

While I think HD is very cool (although expensive), I think it's better suited for other kind of characters and stuff, I really don't see notieceable improvement on regular human characters. Maybe on textureless closeup comparissons but so far I'm not convinced on regular renders when duffuse, bump and specular maps comes into play.
    This shows more potential on extreme characters in my opinion.
    Now, this to me, looks much more interesting (the promo's settings are a bit high for closeups, but the detail looks better to me).
    Too bad its for Victoria 6. I'd like that for Generation 5.

http://www.daz3d.com/displacement-for-victoria-6

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Here is a quick comparison between Olympia and Olympia HD. The differences are subtle.

compare.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 263K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

mark128 said:
    Here is a quick comparison between Olympia and Olympia HD. The differences are subtle.

I just asked himself, who doesn't use any 3d programs at all, and asked which was best. He didn't even have to think about it, he immediately said the one on the right is better, looks more realistic, so you may say they are subtle differences, but they are instantly noticeable to someone who likes to look at the images, but doesn't himself make them.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    mark128 said:

I just asked himself, who doesn't use any 3d programs at all, and asked which was best. He didn't even have to think about it, he immediately said the one on the right is better, looks more realistic, so you may say they are subtle differences, but they are instantly noticeable to someone who likes to look at the images, but doesn't himself make them.

I agree that the HD version is more realistic, but it is hard to point to anything and say that is what makes it more realistic. That is why the differences are subtle.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

True. I was amazed actually, as you say you can't really point to the differences, but the side by side renders really do show how advantageous these HD morphs are.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    I really don't see notieceable improvement on regular human characters. Maybe on textureless closeup comparissons but so far I'm not convinced on regular renders when duffuse, bump and specular maps comes into play.

I wouldn't use them for renders (don't plan on it either) BUT, these HD stuff is what I'll be using for my game models. You cna't use hi-poly models for games, but whne you bake the hi-poly model with the HD details, you take those maps to the low-poly version and it'll look better (or you might even be able to use the hi-poly model, if you character is clothed well enough, you delete the polys that are hidden)
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    While I think HD is very cool (although expensive), I think it's better suited for other kind of characters and stuff, I really don't see notieceable improvement on regular human characters. Maybe on textureless closeup comparissons but so far I'm not convinced on regular renders when duffuse, bump and specular maps comes into play.
    This shows more potential on extreme characters in my opinion.
    Now, this to me, looks much more interesting (the promo's settings are a bit high for closeups, but the detail looks better to me).
    Too bad its for Victoria 6. I'd like that for Generation 5.

Does anyone why the store wide 26% discount and snow ball discounts do not apply to this product?

Is this still considered a new release?

edited December 1969

Does anyone why the store wide 26% discount and snow ball discounts do not apply to this product?

It was released 4 November as far as i can tell, so the new tag seems to have been left on in error (and it's just got a metadata update today too)
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

It was released 4 November as far as i can tell, so the new tag seems to have been left on in error (and it's just got a metadata update today too)

I thought products were considered "new" for 60 days. According to the Documentation Center this product was released on 8 November 2013, so it will be new until about 7 January 2014.

• RBanquo1997RBanquo1997 Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Not sure if Oly HD is gonna be worth it either, the V6 HD works on Oly as well. Here's a Render of Oly 6 with/without V6 HD morphs. Also with and without a basic 2 light setup.

Oly-compare.jpg
    2000 x 1970 - 186K
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

I'm surprised DAZ hasn't really commented on this one, like, at all.

So they are really going to sell the HD Morph Add-On for Olympia at the exact same base price as the full base shape and texture? At the same price as the V6 HD Morph and texture?

Well, I can only hope their sales reflect this decision.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Not sure if Oly HD is gonna be worth it either, the V6 HD works on Oly as well. Here's a Render of Oly 6 with/without V6 HD morphs. Also with and without a basic 2 light setup.

Theres a lot of potential on HD, it could lead to very cool things.
    But I can't see the difference in this or the previous example, sorry. 8-/

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    edited December 1969

One quick difference that I don't even need to zoom in to see is [email protected]'s example. If you notice the back of the hand, the slight vein pattern is much more realist in the Hd version. Next click on the picture to see it actual size and look at the Philtrum, those two ridges above the kips, where the Hd versions more refined and defined. Once you start seeing the difference, you start spotting difference all over.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    mark128 said:

My recent job for past seven years includes such things like heavy retouch and other serious image manipulations. Comparing these two images in photoshop gives ambiguous results. In area of lips there is light (but noticeable being VERY closely examined on overlaid images) change of shapes that hardly might be called "improvement". It is only slightly different shape. But earlobe on HD version even loses some details. And some strange lines on the left deltoid back of HD version look more like defects to be removed, not "improvements" and "fine details" to keep.
    To me your comments on "how advantageous these HD morphs are" referring to Olympia HD morphs set is nothing more than employee's speculations. I am one of "someone who likes to look at the images" as I work eight to twelve hours a day with images because I like this job.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:

"A bit"... 40 bucks? I think its WAY over priced considering it's just a mesh.

What I'm waiting for is the HD character. The shape of the character is important and I love that DAZ has thought to make HD meshes but until we start to actually scan real human beings like Hollywood has been doing for years now, we are just rendering cartoons.

It could be an expensive project and maybe cost prohibitive until we consider the fact that there are models out there that would do it just for the sake of being immortalized at a reasonable cost.

Just my thoughts.

alien456456e.jpg
    1192 x 851 - 87K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, thinking about it I reckon it's been priced on the assumption that most customers will buy when snowball offer still running. I got a good price compared to the full price, but it was still around the price I would've exprected to pay for a textureless morph set if there had been no ongoing special offers.

But the morphs do work of course, so I suppose it depends on if they suit one's purposes enough to "justify" price paid for them. I could actually find myself using them more than I first thought.

Here's a customised Olympia with Olympia HD added as well as 50% V6 HD added as well - the worst thing I noted by mixing both HD morphs together was the joint in the big toe started getting overemphasised, but stuff like that is par for the course when mixing stuff like that together.

Olympia_HD_mix.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 523K
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:

What I'm waiting for is the HD character. The shape of the character is important and I love that DAZ has thought to make HD meshes but until we start to actually scan real human beings like Hollywood has been doing for years now, we are just rendering cartoons.

It could be an expensive project and maybe cost prohibitive until we consider the fact that there are models out there that would do it just for the sake of being immortalized at a reasonable cost.

Just my thoughts.

DAZ has already done that. Reby Sky is a real person in case you are not aware of it. It is expensive not to mention there a whole raft of legal ins and outs that have to be dealt with on all sides.

Since this was only done the one time, the experiment may not have proved to be as profitable as originally thought.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Mr Bowen said:

Just my thoughts.

DAZ has already done that. Reby Sky is a real person in case you are not aware of it. It is expensive not to mention there a whole raft of legal ins and outs that have to be dealt with on all sides.

Since this was only done the one time, the experiment may not have proved to be as profitable as originally thought.

It's been twice - the other was the Anne Marie Goddard Digital Clone for Victoria 3, but that came with additional license restrictions in addition to the default DAZ EULA.