Scene not showing up in Bryce when sent from Daz Studio

shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Sorry guys, me again.

I made a quick scene in Daz Studio Version 4.0.3.47 Pro x 64bit that I want to send to Bryce so I can have a go at an Anaglyph image.

1/ I made the scene,
2/ Saved it just in case
3/ Clicked on "Send to Bryce'
4/ Bryce opens up
5/ I get the little progress window showing me that it is all loading
But

Nothing shows up in the Bryce window,
I tried zooming in, in case it came in small = no show
I then zoomed out in case it came in very big = again no show.

I tried another tack, I exported the scene as an OBJ, but when I try to import it into Bryce I keep getting a dialogue box asking me to locate the textures, I was under the impression that when you export as an OBJ the textures went with it.

I then tried something else

I reopened D/S and "send to Bryce the opening scene with the basic male character without textures
Bryce opened up, I got the progress window again
And the figure came in,
but I can't get the other scene to come in.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Perhaps Rashad has a better tip. As far as I know you have select everything in DS you want to pass over the bridge to Bryce.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well there are a few things that could be at work here. I don't have a list but there are some items that just don't make it across the bridge or they need to be handled in a certain way. Although with ones needing to be handled a certain way you usually get some sort of error message. Then there is a problem that occurs in Studio say your scene has multiple items (figure, the clothes or outfit a figure is wearing, props, maybe even some scene elements. If they aren't all parented together and then you select the parent object, only the selected object will make it thru and if it is something relatively small in terms of the scene like say a piece of jewlery a figure is wearing then in Bryce it might appear so small you don't see it. So say you wanted to do a scene with Victoria 4 playing vollyball on a beach and she's wearing a bikini. The beach itself you do in Bryce but everything else you want in the scene (Vicky, her bathing suit, the vollyball and net) all come from Studio. When you build that scene in studio you want to parent all those items together. To do this in studio 3 (I've yet to try Studio 4 and so don't know if it's the same) you have two tabs on the left that you work with one is content the other is scene. The scene tab is where studio lists the elements in a scene and where you the user can select specific elements for manipulating. So if it were me and I had built this vollyball scene to import over to Bryce I would parent everything to the victoria figure, bathing suits, vollyball net, the ball and any other element in the picture. To do this within that seem tag you just select the various items and drag and drop them into the parent object. As you do you'll see those items added to the main item as a sub item so you would see under victoria all the normal parts like head, neck, torso, legs, arms, etc but also bathing suit, vollyball net, etc. This will not change the position of anything in the scen it'll just make it such that wherever vicky goes everything else follows. Then when done save it (always a wise precaution) then select the parent object (in this example Vicky) and click the send to Bryce option. As long as there is nothing in the scene that the bridge has issues with everything should transfer over, Now there is one final potential to look like nothing made it over and that is that sometimes things that appear normal sized in Studio can be much smaller in Bryce that and/or you may be right up on the object in Studio but when transfered to Bryce it's way off in the distance or even not in the particular camera view you are in. Depending on it's size relative to the scene it may be near impossible to find until you can select it in Bryce. If an item is there you can get help finding it in Bryce by clicking a little triangle at the bottm of the interface toward the right hand side. When you hold your mouse over it it'll say select options. When you click it you get a pop up menu with options like Select camera, select group, select meshes, etc. Under select group you should be able to find a group that represents what you transfered over. select it and that will help make it easier to find when you look for it because it'll now be a bright red that will stand out more especially if there were already other elements in the scene besides what you transfered over.

Anyway I hope all that makes sense and is of some help to you?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Which objects did you use in your scene that doesn't transfer? If there are only a few objects in the scene, can you try deleting everything but one object and seeing if that one object works, and if it does, repeat with the other objects in the scene until you find the one(s) that don't work to see if it's a specific object causing the problem?

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Hey LordHardDriven

Yes it did make sense (after a couple of reads :))

The scene is a warehouse scene and I used the default character that opens when you open D/S, I added some stock clothing.

I then parented everything to the character, at least I am pretty sure I did because when I then selected the character and used the move manipulator everything moved, Next I selected the character then hit send to bryce,
    Bryce opened up
    I got the progress window
    Then I go an out of memory error window,
    I clicked ok and the scene seemed to have come in although very big,
    after some manipulation I managed to get the scene orientated to the way I want, but when I hit render Bryce crashes.

This is almost too hard, maybe I'll just tinker with Bryce to try get the images I am after..
    but will plug on a little bit more, maybe try a scene that is not so big.

edited July 2012

How much memory do you have? There is a little program called large address aware that helps 32 bit programs access large amounts of memory. Out of the box Bryce only lets you use a max of 2GB's of memory even is you have more. Most people now a days have at least 4GB of memory. Large Address Aware or LAA let's you use up to 4GB. Which can really make a big difference. Unfortunately I don't know where to get the LAA utility although others in this forum do and will likely chime in with where to get it and how to use it.

By the way if you got that memory error message, more then likely there was something in the scene that didn't transfer.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited July 2012

How much memory do you have? There is a little program called large address aware that helps 32 bit programs access large amounts of memory. Out of the box Bryce only lets you use a max of 2GB's of memory even is you have more. Most people now a days have at least 4GB of memory. Large Address Aware or LAA let's you use up to 4GB. Which can really make a big difference. Unfortunately I don't know where to get the LAA utility although others in this forum do and will likely chime in with where to get it and how to use it.

By the way if you got that memory error message, more then likely there was something in the scene that didn't transfer.

Hey again,

I have 8 GB of ram.
    I am in the process of downloading LAA right now, will put it in and try the bridge again.

I checked the properties of the file I am trying to bridge and its 5.27MB

Update:
    Got that program, ran it, linked Bryce to it and went through the original process.
    Got the out of memory message again, clicked ok, manipulated the scene ready to render, Bryce crashed.

I tried a simple scene in Bryce and it renders ok so must be what I am doing, or that particular file.
    Maybe I'll just stick to boxes and spheres :)

Thanks again

Post edited by shaykall on
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:

Hey again,

I have 8 GB of ram.
    I am in the process of downloading LAA right now, will put it in and try the bridge again.

Update:
    Got that program, ran it, linked Bryce to it and went through the original process.
    Got the out of memory message again, clicked ok, manipulated the scene ready to render, Bryce crashed.

I tried a simple scene in Bryce and it renders ok so must be what I am doing, or that particular file.

Thanks again

No problem and sorry I wasn't of much help, unfortunately I'm out of suggestions, there may be something to that scene that is causing the problems although I'm not sure. I know that Studio can utilize texturing features such as sub division that other programs can't and it would make sense that Studio's default figure might have that applied to show off Studio's ability. Perhaps it's something like that? Bryce can do some pretty incredible scenes that are much more then boxes or spheres once you know what to do and what to avoid. I would reccommend picking Rashad Carter's brain as he's very knowledgable about importing things and also in setting up fairly complex scenes. Anyway good luck and don't get discouraged.

edited December 1969

shaykall said:

Hey again,

I have 8 GB of ram.

Update:

Thanks again

No problem and sorry I wasn't of much help, unfortunately I'm out of suggestions, there may be something to that scene that is causing the problems although I'm not sure. I know that Studio can utilize texturing features such as sub division that other programs can't and it would make sense that Studio's default figure might have that applied to show off Studio's ability. Perhaps it's something like that? Bryce can do some pretty incredible scenes that are much more then boxes or spheres once you know what to do and what to avoid. I would reccommend picking Rashad Carter's brain as he's very knowledgable about importing things and also in setting up fairly complex scenes. Anyway good luck and don't get discouraged.

No need for sorry, you offered some help and I did learn a little more about D/S to Bryce. I will try again wiith D/S but start with small scenes and characters and see if I can work out the hiccup.

I'll wait till Rashad shows up again and pick his knowledge.

I won't give up just yet :)

edited July 2012

shaykall said:
    I'll wait till Rashad shows up again and pick his knowledge.

I won't give up just yet :)

Good. :) In the mean time you might want to check this link out if you haven't already

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/index.html

There are also these here in this forum (well technically they're in an archive of the old forum and these links just tell you hiw to get to the archive and how to view the pictures there).

Bryce7 /DS4 Bridge Workaround.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3434/

How best to use the Bryce 7.1 - DS3-4 Bridge
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3433/

HOW TO USE THE INSTANCING LAB IN BRYCE 7.1 PRO/ A complete tutorial
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3381/

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    I have 8 GB of ram.

Here's something you could try until one of the experts comes along:
    Select individual parts of your Daz scene to send to Bryce (kind of take it in small chunks), then you will have a better chance of finding out which particular part is causing the problem.
    Of course, this will only help if it is a particular part and not the accumulation of all the parts.
    Then as you get the individual parts into Bryce, save them (one at a time) to your 'user' library.
    If you can get all the individual parts into Bryce, you can then put them all back together by taking them from your library and adding them to the scene.
    My guess is that in transferring the whole lot at once, Bryce is indeed 'out of memory' and is not transferring some of the information it needs to render the scene, therefore when you hit 'render' it gets confused and crashes.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Another thing to try is to save and exit your scene before rendering, restart Bryce and do nothing but the render. I think this might use less memory because you won't have anything in your undo stack.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited July 2012

Shaykall,
    The advice you have received so far from LordHardDriven, Horo, and Sean is spot on. Typically one would parent everything together but there can be problems with complex transfers so incremental transfers sometimes work out best. I'd say you probably are running into a memory issue that is simply not displaying the proper error message. Not every out of memory error produces a message as they should, sometimes the app just stops working while in the middle of a process.

Also it is good to save the scene after the import, then close then reopen before you make too many alterations. That darned undo stack is always in the background growing and growing. The undo stack tries to keep track of the 15 most recent user actions. It is quite possible to bust the undo buffer with individual actions that are too large.

Some issues are not related to memory however, but due to just plain glitchiness. I know that Elite textures aren't doing well with the Bridge, but as stated there are other problematic items as well. Luckily there aren't too many.

If you are sending humans send them without skin textures, as the material transfer strategy creates too many duplicate maps that consume lots of precious memory in the material lab. Apply skin textures manually in Bryce.

But then again your issue could be something new no one has yet seen. So its worth discussing a little further as you continue testing. I should to ask if Studio is also crashing during these failed exports? If so that is a clue to the problem, if not, then it is indeed all on Bryce's end that the problem exists.

Best of luck!

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven,

I am at those links, thanks, will spend time reading them.

@TheSavage64

I followed your suggestions and selected part of the scene and sent it to Bryce and it worked ok even got the render.

I closed it all down re opened the scene in D/S, but this time I just deleted the Genesis character, selected the scene and sent that to Bryce did the usual scene adjustments and hit render and it worked, so it looks like the Genesis character was the problem.

@Rashad Carter

I am at your posts in regards to the Bryce7 /DS4 Bridge Workaround. and How best to use the Bryce 7.1 - DS3-4 Bridge and studying hard :)

My investigation has shown :

Deleting the Genesis character and sending the scene to Bryce creates no problem whatsoever, there is
    no out of memory error message, I can manipulate the scene how ever and how much I like and it renders with out issue.
    I opened D/S and sent the default character into Bryce again no problem

My last effort was to open D/S
    import the file that I was using to make the scene and leaving the default character in the scene,
    saved, and selected all, then sent to Bryce
    No problems, I can manipulate the scene as much as I want and when I hit render it all works ok (in fact I am rendering the scene at the moment),

So my conclusion is that it is the texturing that causes the problem, which I remember reading in one of Rashad's posts.

So again I thank all of you for your help. :)