Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

So there are no expert or pro users, then? Only content creators and modellers get that distinction?

Hah! Were that the case we'd be in a sorry state. Nah - it's more like "Content Creator" is a different classification. Like... I dunno. All ducks are birds but not all birds are ducks, and birds can have blue feathers (or not) whether they are ducks or not. But that level of complexity is hard to achieve in a 4-line list ;)

I think maybe we need Ken's help to work out the taxonomic subtleties. :)

I shall have to consider myself a flightless avian, I suppose. But I insist that I'm a still a solid waddler.

Solid waddler ... that's too cute!
    May I be a solid waddler too?
    :lol:

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    So there are no expert or pro users, then? Only content creators and modellers get that distinction?

Hah! Were that the case we'd be in a sorry state. Nah - it's more like "Content Creator" is a different classification. Like... I dunno. All ducks are birds but not all birds are ducks, and birds can have blue feathers (or not) whether they are ducks or not. But that level of complexity is hard to achieve in a 4-line list ;)

I shall have to consider myself a flightless avian, I suppose. But I insist that I'm a still a solid waddler.

Of course! You are most certainly waddle worthy. :)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Of course! You are most certainly waddle worthy. :)

Thank you! :)
    *Waddles happily along whistling waddle worthy song*

• edited December 1969

Speaking of noobs, I'm a total noob when it comes to Daz Studio. Spent hours looking how to export a CR2 out of Daz, then relised that the option was in the export options. Thanks for a little extra time (just seen the contest a few days back), I finally managed to get a render out just as it crashed for the hundreth time.

Genesis.jpg
    752 x 863 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Interesting POV!

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited July 2012

Have you seen some waddlers move? A few years ago we were at some castle-or-other photographing grass and brick textures (my wife, son and I) and there were some ducks in the moat. With ducklings. Cute - we stopped to watch them for a while as my son rushed about like a lunatic. Someone was walking their dog. Lovers were casting longing gazes at each other - it was that kind of day.

When all of a sudden we spotted a jet-powered duckling. I kid ye not, it looked like it had become an accidental hood ornament on a submarine - zipped along the length of the portion of moat that was visible from where we were leaving a loooong V-shaped wake that had more in common with a contrail. We were both astonished at the sheer speed of this tiny little thing, which had presumably been spooked by the dog.

Flightless? At that age, certainly. A waddler? Absolutely. Helpless? Wow, far from it!

I really wish I'd caught the moment on video - either of the bird or of our expressions in seeing it! IIRC it wasn't long after that that Noggin released his duckling product, forever associating his chick with the nuclear submarine hood ornament in my mind :)

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

Love that story!

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Interesting POV!

It certainly is - and camera work is one of the most overlooked aspects of most renders. We're often FAR too content with very tame camera angles.

Alas, the competition is definately over, and the judges have been handed the entries and are deliberating already - hopefully we'll have the results by the end of the week.

Do I put a happy or sad smiley there?

Cheers,

Cliff

• erdi65erdi65 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

are we there yet? ;-P

edited December 1969

Since I haven't heard anything yet, and there's no DAZ post to this thread either, I'd have to conclude that DAZ are running behind schedule for some reason :cheese:

Do not adjust your sets. Everything is working fine... I'll email them and see if I can find out what's up.

Cheers,

Cliff

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

Sorry, we did fall behind. We will get our part done soon...

edited July 2012

...and no sooner did Kevin say that than he lived up to his word, forwarding details to me. Though I was out, so.... I'm the cause for the latest delay!

Let's delay no further, eh? I'll try to avoid commentry just as hard as I possibly can. But be sure to read all the way to the end.

WINNINGS!
    ==========

1st Prize - Victoria 5 Pro Bundle and Michael 5 Pro Bundle

Goes to evilgidget for "summerdaysgene"

2nd Prize either the Victoria 5 Pro Bundle or the Michael 5 Pro Bundle

We really had a tough time choosing who would get the 2nd prize and who would get the 3rd prize, so we've decided that there will be no 3rd prize as such - both fivecat (for "amy_fiber") and WimvdB (for "MeetYourDaddy") are tied second place.

BONUS prize: Rosie D has been deemed to be late and therefore disqualified from the competition. However, her image is so much fun and incorporates so much that we like that DAZ have kindly donated any DAZ Original of her choice up to the cost of a Starter Bundle.

ALTERNATE PRIZES

Obviously, since you're interested in Genesis ANYWAY there's a possibility that you already have V5, M5, or indeed both and a slew of extras... so if you already own the listed prize you will be able to swap in any DAZ Original of the same or lesser value.

Please contact me and let me know what you want and I'll kick the info "upstairs" (and across the pond). Bear in mind that I am likely to be the delay in this part of the chain.

It's not mandatory for anyone except fivecat but it would be nice to see some renders using what you've got, in Poser... and of course fivecat must produce a render (a PROPER render - no "this is what I got and nothing else in the scene" renders!) which uses everything all at once.

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

A seperate post for the sycophantic stuff.

I'd like the thank those who produced such lovely renders - either for the competition or just "because you can".

I'd also like to thanks DAZ for their generosity with the prizes - including stretching a point to allow two 2nd place winners and stretching ANOTHER point to provide an extra bonus prize for Rosie D. Thanks DAZ!

Now - how about some more renders? ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Thanks Cliff and DAZ for the prize!

Since I already have both the V5 and M5 pro bundles, I will PM you regarding an alternative prize.

I sincerely hope that DAZ will pick up on genesis in poser and will provide updates for the exporter to get an even better result.
    I also hope they will improve the Poser Format Exporter to make it all a bit easier to transfer poses, mat files and dial settings.

Thanks!

Wim

• erdi65erdi65 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all winners. :-)

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    I sincerely hope that DAZ will pick up on genesis in poser and will provide updates for the exporter to get an even better result.

I also hope they will improve the Poser Format Exporter to make it all a bit easier to transfer poses, mat files and dial settings.

I'll send in the prize choices when I've got them all - but in the meantime I can't say much more than that DAZ are aware that a better solution is required, and are working on it. Although I may know more than that, I can't say more and I don't know half as much as I'd like to!

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

...and no sooner did Kevin say that than he lived up to his word, forwarding details to me. Though I was out, so.... I'm the cause for the latest delay!

Let's delay no further, eh? I'll try to avoid commentry just as hard as I possibly can. But be sure to read all the way to the end.

WINNINGS!
    ==========

1st Prize - Victoria 5 Pro Bundle and Michael 5 Pro Bundle

Goes to evilgidget for "summerdaysgene"

2nd Prize either the Victoria 5 Pro Bundle or the Michael 5 Pro Bundle

We really had a tough time choosing who would get the 2nd prize and who would get the 3rd prize, so we've decided that there will be no 3rd prize as such - both fivecat (for "amy_fiber") and WimvdB (for "MeetYourDaddy") are tied second place.

BONUS prize: Rosie D has been deemed to be late and therefore disqualified from the competition. However, her image is so much fun and incorporates so much that we like that DAZ have kindly donated any DAZ Original of her choice up to the cost of a Starter Bundle.

Congratulations to the winners!

I've found summer days, but not the others. Were they posted in this thread or uploaded somewhere else?

edited December 1969

I've found summer days, but not the others. Were they posted in this thread or uploaded somewhere else?

Being as judging was done from downloaded files, I've been referring to them by filename rather than whatever text was included on-forum... and all posted to this thread, that was probably the strongest rule of the lot (or we might have had entires over at Rendo).

So - evilgidget's winning entry: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/41126/

WimvdB's 2nd placer: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/27982/
    fivecat's 2nd placer: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/38480/

and finally, Rosie D's bonus-prize-winning entry: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/41901/

Cheers,

Cliff

• edited December 1969

Thank you Cliff, and thank you Daz for the generous prizes! Congrats to evilgidget and WimvdB -- also I'm happy that Rosie D got a bonus prize as that was a great late entry.

Oh my, now because of my big mouth I have to make my computer scream in agony trying to render everything at once. Lol, oh dear.

And, uhm, (blush) I can't render "everything" included in the bundle because of the TOS. :P

edited December 1969

Being as judging was done from downloaded files, I've been referring to them by filename rather than whatever text was included on-forum... and all posted to this thread, that was probably the strongest rule of the lot (or we might have had entires over at Rendo).

So - evilgidget's winning entry: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/41126/

WimvdB's 2nd placer: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/27982/
    fivecat's 2nd placer: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/38480/

and finally, Rosie D's bonus-prize-winning entry: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/41901/

Cheers,

Cliff

Thanks for making the links, Cliff. Now I see why I was confused.

Those are some really adorable pictures! :)

• edited December 1969

While I wait for the M5 Pro Bundle, here is another Poser render of Genesis, this time with Abominable and Soto's M4 texture.

abominable.jpg
    800 x 640 - 243K
  • edited December 1969

Wow, thank you Cliff and Daz!

Since I don't have V5 (except the magazine freebie) or M5, I'm fine with the prize as listed.

Congrats to WimvdB, fivecat and RosieD also. Actually I think congrats go out to everyone who gave it a try.

Also, thanks for posting that the results were in Cliff, the forum glitch struck, no notices, so I've missed quite a bit in this thread. :)

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    And, uhm, (blush) I can't render "everything" included in the bundle because of the TOS. :P

Oh, I don't know - it might all depend on just how imaginative you are. I haven't got the V5 Pro Bundle myself, so I can't check out the ahhhh item in question myself, but I can imagine an alien planet with weird flowers or butterflies... ;)

Lovely mountainous piccy BTW :)

@evilgidget - no worries. I've been trying to be as inclusive as possible all along...

Now, of course, we have to wait for Rosie D who is fashionably late to the party AGAIN! ;-P

Cheers,

Cliff

• Rosie DRosie D Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Hi all - Congrats to the winners and thank you Cliff and the Daz Team for my bonus prize :) - Kicks thread for not sending me updates again -

Cliff - please could you issue the prizes for everyone else - I'm really spoilt for choice here and don't know what to go for - 2000 plus Daz Items to look at - plus I've already got sooooo much stuff out of all the starter packs - I'm searching through right now......be back in a short while......

edited December 1969

edited December 1969

Ok I'm going for - Unshaven Bundle for Genesis - http://www.daz3d.com/shop/unshaven-bundle-for-genesis/

I think that this choice will afford me the highest 'fun' factor possible without having a copy of M5 - I was looking at the M5 Starter Bundle but he's just not really 'complete' in this version so I'd still have to get the Pro Pack at some stage...... :coolsmile:

edited July 2012

OK, winning prizes are in and I've emailed DAZ. Give 'em some time though - as I type it's nearly 5AM in Utah and even once they get into work there's plenty of work for them to do aside from giving us our goodies.

I only belatedly realised that the rules as presented didn't rule ME out - I should have put an image in myself to see if I could get a prize! Doh!

Cheers,

Cliff

PS fun is good. In fact, fun is spectacular in this day and age. though I worry about seeing "The Girl" with a hairy chest :(

edited December 1969

Thanks Cliff :-)

Be worried...... be very worried :coolsmirk:

• edited December 1969

WarMachine and fivecat - love both of the most recent renders.

fivecat 0 I just realized that I missed a question a few pages back, sorry about that. The blue glowies were a fireworks plane prop with some ambiance added to the materials, but with a bit of downscaling I think they might make good fireflies in the distance.

LOL, oh Cliff, why or why did you have to plant that seed, you know some of us are smart alecs who can't resist. hehehe That said, can't wait to see what you do Rosie D and here is an OT old render of V4 for inspiration. LOL

dreamgirl.jpg
    900 x 1294 - 482K
    edited December 1969

Well, Rosie did warn me to be worried... ;)