Conversion Question

edited December 1969 in The Commons

So...since there are no longer texture files for M6 material only MAT files which are DSON files, is there..any way to convert DSON files to JPG for use of a M6 texture on M5 or M4?

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 2013

There are texture files. A mat pose would not work if it didn't have the texture files they reference.

DS4.5 and up now use duf files rather than the older file formats. The Genesis 2 Female/Male and Generation 6 line require their textures to be in duf format. That is the reason the V4 to G2Female and M4 to G2Male products were created. These will help you transfer you older Gen 4 products to the newer line.

If you are looking for the texture files, go to the My Library folder where you installed your DS content. There should be a folder marked content. Inside that folder is a Runtime folder. Inside the runtime folder is folder labelled content. By default, may texture files install to this folder as that is the default folder mat poses reference.

You can do UV swapping in DS. G2Male and M6 use the M5 mapping by default. You need the this to use your M4 textures on M6

http://www.daz3d.com/people/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male

This will auto convert

http://www.daz3d.com/people/michael-4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-male-s

I know you can go from M4 to Genesis to M6 but I don't honestly know if you can go from M6 down to M4. Never tried it.

Odd question but are you using DS or Poser? That can make a difference as well.

Post edited by icprncss on
  • edited December 1969

OH AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU! :-)

• edited December 1969

Ok..just looked. I do not have a content folder within my runtime folder ;-(

• edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    There are texture files. A mat pose would not work if it didn't have the texture files they reference.

DS4.5 and up now use duf files rather than the older file formats. The Genesis 2 Female/Male and Generation 6 line require their textures to be in duf format. That is the reason the V4 to G2Female and M4 to G2Male products were created. These will help you transfer you older Gen 4 products to the newer line.

If you are looking for the texture files, go to the My Library folder where you installed your DS content. There should be a folder marked content. Inside that folder is a Runtime folder. Inside the runtime folder is folder labelled content. By default, may texture files install to this folder as that is the default folder mat poses reference.

You can do UV swapping in DS. G2Male and M6 use the M5 mapping by default. You need the this to use your M4 textures on M6

This will auto convert

I know you can go from M4 to Genesis to M6 but I don't honestly know if you can go from M6 down to M4. Never tried it.

Using DS 4.5 and looked..there is no content folder within my runtime folder. I only have one Content folder where all DS components are in.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The runtime folder should be inside your content folder, not the other way around

• edited December 1969

This is the set up

FOLDERS.jpg
    814 x 609 - 67K
    edited December 1969

This is the set up

And at the very bottom there is a folder labelled Textures. Look in there.

• edited December 1969

Thank you to both of you. Found what I was looking for. I had to go back to the folder that had the character I was looking for. I had forgotten to unload one file.
    THANK YOU! ;-)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 2013

This is the set up

It looks like you didn't take any of the defaults when you set up your install, making your set up hard to support. Your install should not be anywhere near Program files because of windows security issues. Personally I would blow that whole directory away and start over and put it where DS defaults until you know how the My Library structure of DS4 is set up.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • edited December 1969

Sorry but, my default folder has always been in my Program Files x86 ever since I started using DS a few years back. It's where ALL my programs are at.

This is the set up

It looks like you didn't take any of the defaults when you set up your install, making your set up hard to support. Your install should not be anywhere near Program files because of windows security issues. Personally I would blow that whole directory away and start over and put it where DS defaults until you know how the My Library structure of DS4 is set up.

edited December 2013

Sorry but, my default folder has always been in my Program Files x86 ever since I started using DS a few years back. It's where ALL my programs are at.

This is the set up

Well with DS4, don't put it there. You'll have an easier time with the program and your content if you put where it won't cause you problems. If you want to put it you want it to be despite that, then don't be surprised that you run into issues.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

There is no hard and fast rule as to where you place the files so long as they are mapped correctly.

• edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    There is no hard and fast rule as to where you place the files so long as they are mapped correctly.

Exactly ;-)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Since Windows Vista on the Program Files folders are protected by UAC and you should never installer user data in them. In fact you where never suppose to store user data in them before Vista, that is what the Documents folders are for.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Since Windows Vista on the Program Files folders are protected by UAC and you should never installer user data in them. In fact you where never suppose to store user data in them before Vista, that is what the Documents folders are for.

Right. And if you're watching, any modified data does not go there, it gets put into a hidden appdata folder, which can be removed at the end of a user session (ie rebooting, logging off, or system crash)

• edited December 1969

jestmart said:

I have W7 and all programs go to Program Files (x86)

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:

I have W7 and all programs go to Program Files (x86)

Programs, yes, user data, no. In the newer Windows operating systems the user data should never go into the programs folder. Due to security reasons this was a design choice, to protect program installation folders.

• edited December 1969

This is mute point anyways as this has NOTHING to do with the issue I had...past tense! Just the Admin stated basically, stick with the question. This isn't.

• snowsnow77snowsnow77 Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

You can do UV swapping in DS

icprncss said:

This will auto convert

How do you swap UVs in DS?