I am awestruck

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hey Guys,
I just had to tell you.
I have had a visit from one of my favorite artist today.
He left a comment on one of my videos and ask me to do something for him.
It may not be a big deal to anyone else, but it sure is to me.
Oh I guess I should tell you who it is.
That would be Nate Owens.
If you do not know who he is just google his name.
If I could ever get to his level I would be one happy camper.

This has been a good day for me.
To make things even better my wife is making a pineapple upside down cake from scratch.
Now if I could just win the lottery.

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Nate Owens and a pineapple upside down cake in the same day?

You better pinch yourself and see that your not dreaming.

Kidding aside, that's awesome and congrats on the encounter.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Glad you are having a good day johnny. It's always good to hear, especially when someone contributes their time to a community like you have with your free tutorials :)

• edited December 1969

Here is a pic I from a video tut I will be doing for him.
    I will demonstrate how to cut a hole in this mesh without using Boolean.
    I plan to record it in the morning and upload it sometime tomorrow.

Ps I promise I am working the house modeling series, but took a break from it to do this.

Hat.jpg
    961 x 576 - 234K
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

Great! and congrats. Looking forward to your videos.

• nate_289d518d9cnate_289d518d9c Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Shucks, I'm just a country boy who likes to doodle... that cake sounds delicious... making my mouth water.

Looking forward to your tuts and I need a better hat for my ranger dude - -

TheRangerWip.jpg
    1133 x 612 - 421K
  • edited July 2012

Shucks, I'm just a country boy who likes to doodle... that cake sounds delicious... making my mouth water.

Looking forward to your tuts and I need a better hat for my ranger dude - -

Hey Mr Owens,
    Awesome to have you here.
    I did not know you were looking for a hat when i recorded the video, it is uploading right now.
    If you could provide some reference pics, a front, top and side i would be glad to do a hat tutorial.
    I will do a little research on ranger Hats. I would assume that would be a Texas Ranger.
    It just so happens I am a country boy also, but you may have noticed my southern draw.
    I am Milk man by trade, but have a passion for art and teaching.

Did you use Hexagon or some thing else to sculpt the details on you Ranger?

Post edited by johnnybevo_1ac43c32de on
    edited December 1969

The ranger isn't really done.
    Made him using Sculptris (free from Pixologic)

Sometimes I go from Hex to Sculptris but the mesh has to be all 4-point quads, when you start dividing and/or smoothing in Sculptris it converts to tris (guess it is voxel??)

I'm no whiz or techie at 3D, just love to sculpt - hardly ever do the color stuff, but I have done 3D projects for clients (info graphics and stuff) and sometimes incorporate 3D into my 2D illustrations by using it to work out perspective and some details

I'd like to to introduce figurine art to the retail market with the feel of some of the characters I've done on the cards for Leanin' Tree since 1980
    Here's a couple of links to sites that indicate what I'm up to or the general direction... mostly just having fun and making a $ here and there if possible..

http://issuu.com/nateowens/docs/pigments01/1
    http://issuu.com/nateowens

• edited December 1969

The ranger isn't really done.
    Made him using Sculptris (free from Pixologic)

Sometimes I go from Hex to Sculptris but the mesh has to be all 4-point quads, when you start dividing and/or smoothing in Sculptris it converts to tris (guess it is voxel??)

I'm no whiz or techie at 3D, just love to sculpt - hardly ever do the color stuff, but I have done 3D projects for clients (info graphics and stuff) and sometimes incorporate 3D into my 2D illustrations by using it to work out perspective and some details

I'd like to to introduce figurine art to the retail market with the feel of some of the characters I've done on the cards for Leanin' Tree since 1980
    Here's a couple of links to sites that indicate what I'm up to or the general direction... mostly just having fun and making a $ here and there if possible..

http://issuu.com/nateowens/docs/pigments01/1
    http://issuu.com/nateowens

I have used Sculptris before, I have not used it in a couple of months. I have been trying every chance I get to squeeze in some anatomy study to help with sculpting characters.
    Once I get done with the next couple of tutorials series, I plan to do some character modeling tutorials.

I will be glad to help any way I can.
    Please feel free to PM me at any time or contact me in the forum.
    I will even give you my e-mail if you want.

If you would not mind I would love to learn from you also.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

I’m no whiz or techie at 3D

Codswollops Nate, I remember your work over at Polyloop you have always been admired by us lesser mortals. :-)

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    I’m no whiz or techie at 3D

Codswollops Nate, I remember your work over at Polyloop you have always been admired by us lesser mortals. :-)

aaah! Polyloop... that was long ago...

My working process is probably weird and would be the laughing stock of anyone who actually knows what they are doing... i just muddle through and look at tuts from the experts and if anything comes out right it is most likely an accident - hunt and peck and trial and error
    I try not to call anything I do a "Tutorial" but rather a "how I did it"
    Some at my blog - look in the right column, scroll down 'til you hit how to's or some mis-named tuts
    Blog: http://natesartpad.blogspot.com/

I have been struggling to figure out ZBrush for years.. i do some stuff with it but the bulk is an over-whelming mystery - besides my system is too wimpy to do most of the things it can do --- I hang out and drool at ZBrush central :P
    Doggy I started up in hexagon... as far as i went

DoxB04.jpg
    1148 x 1128 - 102K
    edited December 1969

Please feel free to PM me at any time or contact me in the forum.
    I will even give you my e-mail if you want.

If you would not mind I would love to learn from you also.

Just sent you a PM :coolsmile:

• edited July 2012

Doggy I started up in hexagon... as far as i went

That little guy fascinates the hell out of me, Nate! Even without any texture cues, his eyes are bright and happy and appear to be looking directly at something (or someone).

I'm a mechanic - I can make meshes jump through hoops on a technical level, but I have tremendous difficulty giving my models "life", and it gets extremely frustrating to me at times.

How in the hell do you guys DO that?
    Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I'm blown away - Nate is a true artist and his work just stands way out. Quite a while back I came across a tutorial on sculpting a cartoon head in Hex - absolutely amazing and for the first time I came to realize that you can actually really sculpt in Hex.:-)

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I remember Nate Owens on Polyloop. Was always a joy to see his artwork.