Fast Grab DAZ are getting pretty slack

SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I like to buy my products on the cheap, I admit, I love not having to pay a fortune which is why I come to DAZ because you tend to be the most reasonable option in town with free software and all... My only issue at the moment is you guys are getting pretty slack at giving us 'daily updates' on the Fast Grab.

I also think its about time you guys start clearing out some of the really obsolete material in your archives. I think the rule of thumb should be that its fairly safe to archive everything pre Victoria 4.

I still want to see you guys start talking about file sizes on the new releases and pixel resolution.

I would also like to see more themed characters and HD ethnic variations for VIC/MIK6.

So far, I have to admit, you're doing alright but could be improved.

Comments

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I also think its about time you guys start clearing out some of the really obsolete material in your archives. I think the rule of thumb should be that its fairly safe to archive everything pre Victoria 4.

There are, unfortunately, one or two "gotchas" in the DAZ product line, gen 3 things that you just have to have. The Morphing Fantasy Mask is my personal demon.

There are a dozen V3 and V4 outfits that I really like, that are set up for the Morphing Fantasy Dress, the Fantasy Collar, the Hooded Cloak, and the Morphing Fantasy Mask. The MFD and the hooded cloak are available in generation 3, 4, and 5 (and I hear 6 is coming). The collar is gen 3 and 4, but autofits nicely to gen 5 and even gen 6 if you do the two-step autofit or use V4 for Genesis 2 Female.

The morphing mask is gen 3 only, but it's just a mask, it's fine once you get it into position. It's an underappreciated little gem.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

A lot of people still use the older figures and some of the old stuff is still very usable, just because you think they are obsolete doesn't mean everyone does. Also a lot of older things are by PA's and its up to them if they are removed or not, presumably if they are still around then they still sell.
    As to the fast grab its often not updated daily especially when other sales are going on.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

*snipped*

If you had been a forum member the last time DAZ 3D did do some archiving of old stuff you would know why that is an easy thing to say, but not a popular thing to do.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    *snipped*

If you had been a forum member the last time DAZ 3D did do some archiving of old stuff you would know why that is an easy thing to say, but not a popular thing to do.

I don't think it would be all that big of a deal if you put a specifically marked Icon... Maybe call it "DAZ Classics". I'm didn't say stop selling it but separate it from the normal stock. The idea is to make it so that everything you currently offer functions well with the current version of DAZ... I get that there will always be old time clingers that still like digging in the trash but that doesn't mean you keep it in the store.

edited December 1969

wiz said:

There are, unfortunately, one or two "gotchas" in the DAZ product line, gen 3 things that you just have to have. The Morphing Fantasy Mask is my personal demon.

There are a dozen V3 and V4 outfits that I really like, that are set up for the Morphing Fantasy Dress, the Fantasy Collar, the Hooded Cloak, and the Morphing Fantasy Mask. The MFD and the hooded cloak are available in generation 3, 4, and 5 (and I hear 6 is coming). The collar is gen 3 and 4, but autofits nicely to gen 5 and even gen 6 if you do the two-step autofit or use V4 for Genesis 2 Female.

The morphing mask is gen 3 only, but it's just a mask, it's fine once you get it into position. It's an underappreciated little gem.

Chances are you already have all the things that you are already talking about if they have been in the catalog since BEFORE V4/M4. Where you see classic gems, I see trash that needs desperately to be updated to use with my HD Genesis 2. Life is short and I don't want to spend my time fiddling with outfits. If the product that your talking about is so damn good then petition the people that make them to update them so we can have all those things.

I have to say that DAZ has already done an excellent job with the Super dress:

http://www.daz3d.com/super-dress-and-leggings-for-genesis-2-female-s

I realize they can do a lot more but thats the point.. out with the old and in with the new.. let them or encourage them to do an update so we don't have to waste time with manual fittings.

The point being is that things that don't fuction properly with the current version of DAZ shouldn't be kept in the same storefront. Also, things that are for outdated version, especially training videos should be removed from the front and put into a classics section where old dogz like you can access it.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

Just beacuse it was made at an earlier time does not make it useless or unwanted. If you do not wish to view older content then please use the filters on the left hand side of the store to filter your product search.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    *snipped*

I don't think it would be all that big of a deal if you put a specifically marked Icon... Maybe call it "DAZ Classics". I'm didn't say stop selling it but separate it from the normal stock. The idea is to make it so that everything you currently offer functions well with the current version of DAZ... I get that there will always be old time clingers that still like digging in the trash but that doesn't mean you keep it in the store.

DAZ Studio is not the only program that DAZ 3D sell, and DAZ forum members are a mixed bunch and use Bryce and Carrara as well as DS, and also use sundry off site programs as well. The fact that some people do use programs other than the current version of DS doesn't make them ''old time clingers digging in the trash'' That is being very demeaning to a large percentage of the DAZ forum members.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 2013

It's safe to archive all the V4 items? Only if DAZ wants to lose whatever sales they generate. Go to Rendo and RDNA. What figure is the bulk of their new products designed for?

Do not forget, the default mapping of Genesis is V4. You can UV switch but the default mapping is still V4. Autofit was designed to convert Gen 4 clothing to Genesis.

Why is it that when DAZ comes out with a new set of toys that a small group of users feel that everything that came before that new set of toys is useless and should be thrown away?

Besides those who use software produced by DAZ, there is still that other software app that gave DAZ it's start. After all, DAZ3D was a Poser content provider long before it went into the business of selling software.

DAZ is a small company with a small staff. Add to that the current holiday season and the weather issues in Utah, sometimes not everything gets done in a day. Not having the time to update FastGrab it not a catastrophe.

Post edited by icprncss on
  • DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 2013

I still want to see you guys start talking about file sizes on the new releases and pixel resolution.

I would also like to see more themed characters and HD ethnic variations for VIC/MIK6.

So far, I have to admit, you're doing alright but could be improved.

I kinda agree with you on the Pre Gen4 stuff, it should probably be reduced, i'd expect it will end up being removed from the store altogether eventually.
    I'm a fan of ethnics too, but unfortunately (and ironically) we are in a minority. I've heard many times that ethnic stuff doesn't sell very well in this market. I just release a set of east Asian head morphs for G2f a week or so ago - which really hasn't really done all that well, I sort of knew it wouldn't, but I went ahead and made it because I wanted it. So mustn't grumble I suppose..... :P

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 2013

And if you take a look at the items for Gen 3 and lower, they are PA products that DAZ cannot arbitrarily lower the prices on. DAZ would have to buy them out to have this type of control.

Post edited by icprncss on
  • DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

^True, also if legacy product's are still occasionally selling at full price, there is little incentive for a PA to reduce that price.
    And generally if something is not moving at all. lowing the price doesn't usually help very much.
    Value is purely perceptional I suppose.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

People that have the generation 3 iconic shapes for Genesis can auto-fit gen3 clothes and shoes often with better results than gen4 clothes and especially gen4 shoes. That alone is reason enough not to vault them.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

(looks at own avatar image)

(pouts)

No love for the older girls and boys, then?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

For myself I hate to admit I tend to go with the newer figures (Genesis, G2M/F) but I am still buying stuff for Gen 4 because it is good, I still use, on occassion, V4, M4, etc., and even if I don't the items, generally, auto-fit well to the Genesis line. That is just me, though. Then I look at some of the reanders that people are producing now and there is some mind-blowing stuff with Gen 3.
    It's easy enough to filter the store and/or just not buy stuff for the figures you don't use.

None of which addresses the 'updates daily' strapline for the fastgrab! That's alays been pretty much hit and miss, but it's a great source of surprise purchases for me, regardless of update frequency. I'd suggest they just reword the 'updates daily' bit :)

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I only use Genesis and still buy Gen 3 and 4 stuff.
    I prefer Genesis specific content, but I can use those old items on it too, so when theres a good sale, I grab old content.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

How about having a free marketplace where people can buy what they want? If it sells, keep it available. It's not hurting anyone. And just because something is new doesn't mean it is so great. Crap is equal opportunity - old and new.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

I'll have to say that I've picked up a lot of stuff that I use from Rendo's Clearance area. And a lot of other stuff that I use from RDNA's Deep Freeze. There is good stuff in both of those. Not all of it obsolete. I see that some figures (Kiki for example) are still being supported, even if they are *quite* old.

It would be nice if DAZ had something like that Deep Freeze collection. But so long as the older items are PA items which DAZ has no control of the pricing, it isn't going to happen.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Chances are you already have all the things that you are already talking about if they have been in the catalog since BEFORE V4/M4. Where you see classic gems, I see trash that needs desperately to be updated to use with my HD Genesis 2. Life is short and I don't want to spend my time fiddling with outfits. If the product that your talking about is so damn good then petition the people that make them to update them so we can have all those things.

I have to say that DAZ has already done an excellent job with the Super dress:

I realize they can do a lot more but thats the point.. out with the old and in with the new.. let them or encourage them to do an update so we don't have to waste time with manual fittings.

The point being is that things that don't fuction properly with the current version of DAZ shouldn't be kept in the same storefront. Also, things that are for outdated version, especially training videos should be removed from the front and put into a classics section where old dogz like you can access it.

So your entire point is that they should retire stuff you no longer find useful, or need to update older stuff to work with newer content only because you don't want to use it as is, and that because you feel that way, everyone else must feel the same?

edited December 1969

As far as the OP's comment about the Super Dress and Leggings outfit, DAZ had nothing to do with it. They didn't even buy it out. It's a PA product. If anyone deserves credit for it, it's the PA who did the work.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Personaly I would be all for cleaning the store of all the old stuff. The promos are often yuck and new people don't understand why it doesn't work the same as new products. But there was a massive outcry last time DAZ tried that.

Don't about the file sizes but the resolution for textures is listed on the product what is included for every product that has textures and so on.

I think that the issue there is that there are not enough complete resources for a deep or broad selection of ethnic characters. I'm not talking about merchant resources but the full sets of photos needed to do entirely new textures from scratch.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 2013

wiz said:
    There are a dozen V3 and V4 outfits that I really like, that are set up for the Morphing Fantasy Dress, the Fantasy Collar, the Hooded Cloak, and the Morphing Fantasy Mask.

I've been meaning to ask someone if those V3/V4 texture expansions definitely are compatible for the Genesis MFD... Does anyone know for sure?

Had some bad luck with clothing which claims it's compliant with Genesis, but can, in fact, only be used with V4. A great shame, because I needed to use them for something important.

I'm a fan of ethnics too, but unfortunately (and ironically) we are in a minority. I've heard many times that ethnic stuff doesn't sell very well in this market. I just release a set of east Asian head morphs for G2f a week or so ago - which really hasn't really done all that well, I sort of knew it wouldn't, but I went ahead and made it because I wanted it. So mustn't grumble I suppose..... :P

As a consumer who's involved in a couple of large-scale artistic projects, I'd definitely buy more ethnic shapes if there were equivalent generation 5/6 ethnic skin packs available!

In fact, I've been hoping someone would release some more skins which are relevant for the creature creator packs for Genesis 1 and 2 (especially the latter's tail, which only comes in 'furry', not smooth, human or reptilian skins), but so far, nothing.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited December 1969

wiz said:
    There are a dozen V3 and V4 outfits that I really like, that are set up for the Morphing Fantasy Dress, the Fantasy Collar, the Hooded Cloak, and the Morphing Fantasy Mask.

I've been meaning to ask someone if those V3/V4 texture expansions definitely are compatible for the Genesis MFD... Does anyone know for sure?

Had some bad luck with clothing which claims it's compliant with Genesis, but can, in fact, only be used with V4. A great shame, because I needed to use them for something important.

MFD textures fit all generations and female figures that have MFDs up to and including the genesis one.

There is just one exception to this rule, and that is the Steph Petite one. That has different uv layout and mapping.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Much appreciated!

• DirewrathDirewrath Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    *snipped*

DAZ Studio is not the only program that DAZ 3D sell, and DAZ forum members are a mixed bunch and use Bryce and Carrara as well as DS, and also use sundry off site programs as well. The fact that some people do use programs other than the current version of DS doesn't make them ''old time clingers digging in the trash'' That is being very demeaning to a large percentage of the DAZ forum members.

Thanks Cho! :)

Why is it that some of those who are Post Genesis users only seem to think that Pre Genesis items are junk and should be taken out of the marketplace because it interferes somehow with their day to have them there to have to sort through?

Honestly what is the big deal?

Really? I don't get it?

Maybe I have other important things to worry about that something like that just doesn't bother me? And maybe the workers at Daz have more important stuff to do than to take things out of the marketplace because "you" don't want them there....

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

Or maybe how about DAZ keeps selling stuff that would require 'manual fitting' and you just don't buy stuff that requires such tasks.
    That sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

edited December 1969

Barubary said:

Or maybe how about DAZ keeps selling stuff that would require 'manual fitting' and you just don't buy stuff that requires such tasks.
    That sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't asked them to stop selling anything.. only to move the stuff that is ancient into its own section and clearly label the packs. I'd like to also know file sizes and maybe even DPI information.

Do you have an issue with clear labeling?

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Frankly, I guess there will always be a hit and miss thing with ALL generation figures. Some of A3 or H3 clothing is simply stunning, whereas those "brand new" items for Gen2F or Dawn can be of poor quality. It depends on the vendor, the shop doesn't have much with that, although a category with older - or older AND less frequently bought - items would be an interesting thing. It's especially interwoven with V3, M3, S3, F3 stuff. A3 clothing - I don't know why - seems more universal.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

On the topic of Fast Grab, it was updated this morning.

On the topic of labeling pre/post genesis stuff. Isn't it painfully obvious? Each product page lists the compatible 3D figure. It tells you right on the product page what figure/generation it is for.

If you filter the store by release date then you will get the latest and greatest content. Keep in mind that PA's are still releasing stuff for V4/M4 as well as Genesis. But that stuff isn't "crap" it's good content. It has to be good content other wise we wouldn't approve it to be sold in our store. The standard for approval keeps going up as our awesome PA's continue to produce better and better stuff.

Having to filter out things you don't want to purchase is pretty much how shopping anywhere works. Me personally, I love General Mills Cereal. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms, Trix, Kix, Resse'sPuffs, you name it, I'll eat it. I don't buy that bagged cardboard from Malt O' Meal. I swore off that stuff as soon as I moved out on my own. However, I don't go down to my local store and demand that they move the Malt O' Meal cereals to a separate aisle because I won't buy them. I know for a fact that there are plenty of people that not only buy Malt O' Meal, but they prefer it over name brand boxed cereals. Instead of trying to force my cereal preferences on others I just shop for the cereal that I want. It's pretty simple.

PS - I know that the analogy isn't perfect, but I love cereal so much I don't even care.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    On the topic of Fast Grab, it was updated this morning.

On the topic of labeling pre/post genesis stuff. Isn't it painfully obvious? Each product page lists the compatible 3D figure. It tells you right on the product page what figure/generation it is for.

If you filter the store by release date then you will get the latest and greatest content. Keep in mind that PA's are still releasing stuff for V4/M4 as well as Genesis. But that stuff isn't "crap" it's good content. It has to be good content other wise we wouldn't approve it to be sold in our store. The standard for approval keeps going up as our awesome PA's continue to produce better and better stuff.

Having to filter out things you don't want to purchase is pretty much how shopping anywhere works. Me personally, I love General Mills Cereal. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms, Trix, Kix, Resse'sPuffs, you name it, I'll eat it. I don't buy that bagged cardboard from Malt O' Meal. I swore off that stuff as soon as I moved out on my own. However, I don't go down to my local store and demand that they move the Malt O' Meal cereals to a separate aisle because I won't buy them. I know for a fact that there are plenty of people that not only buy Malt O' Meal, but they prefer it over name brand boxed cereals. Instead of trying to force my cereal preferences on others I just shop for the cereal that I want. It's pretty simple.

PS - I know that the analogy isn't perfect, but I love cereal so much I don't even care.

Phew, it's good to know you aren't a cereal killer ... ;)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

I think Jared's quote about the content needing to be good in order to be approved by the PA department sums it up. That's obvious - at least for me - that a good shop cannot let itself sell bad content, otherwise the customers will move onto another shop's board.