DAZ Installer Won't Load

jbaker50jbaker50 Posts: 13
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm very new to DAZ so hopefully this is an easy fix. I installed DAZ Installer and used it to play with DAZ Studio for a few days before deciding I was going to commit to using it. I had left everything at it's default setting but my C drive isn't overflowing with space so I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled to another drive.

However, on reinstalling DAZ Installer it will no longer load. I can see it in Task Manager but no GUI loads for it. The Content Manager service is running fine. I've tried using Revo Uninstaller to pull both out, I downloaded the Installer again and have reinstalled several times to both the new home and with defaults with no success. Installed as an admin, played with compatibility, closed every program I could and still no gui.

I'm running Windows 7 Home 64-bit on a fairly high end gaming machine so horsepower isn't the issue. It was all working well before I tried to reinstall to a new drive.

Any ideas or am I just going to have to manually download and install my stuff? Thanks for any help anyone can give to a newbie.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Any ideas or am I just going to have to manually download and install my stuff? Thanks for any help anyone can give to a newbie.

It is not clear what you mean here?

I installed DAZ Installer and used it to play with DAZ Studio for a few days before deciding I was going to commit to using it. I had left everything at it’s default setting but my C drive isn’t overflowing with space so I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled to another drive. However, on reinstalling DAZ Installer it will no longer load. I can see it in Task Manager but no GUI loads for it. The Content Manager service is running fine. I’ve tried using Revo Uninstaller to pull both out, I downloaded the Installer again and have reinstalled several times to both the new home and with defaults with no success. Installed as an admin, played with compatibility, closed every program I could and still no gui.

Did you download the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) and use it to install DAZ Studio AND your content? Most users would leave DAZ Studio on the C drive, and install the content onto a separate drive if space is a problem, but you should be able to install the main application (DAZ Studio) and the content onto a separate drive.

I would advise downloading and installing DIM first, then use it to install DAZ Studio and any content onto your drive of choice. In DIM, there is a little gear icon at the top right of the interface, and you can add a new folder for your content, and you can also decide where to install DAZ Studio.

When you say the DAZ Installer will not load, do you mean that when you double click on the icon for DAZ Studio that it will not load? How did you install DS, and where exactly did you install it to?
  • jbaker50jbaker50 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Did you download the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) and use it to install DAZ Studio AND your content? Most users would leave DAZ Studio on the C drive, and install the content onto a separate drive if space is a problem, but you should be able to install the main application (DAZ Studio) and the content onto a separate drive.

I would advise downloading and installing DIM first, then use it to install DAZ Studio and any content onto your drive of choice. In DIM, there is a little gear icon at the top right of the interface, and you can add a new folder for your content, and you can also decide where to install DAZ Studio.

When you say the DAZ Installer will not load, do you mean that when you double click on the icon for DAZ Studio that it will not load? How did you install DS, and where exactly did you install it to?

When I double click the DAZ Installer, the machine loads the program into memory (busy cursor symbol and program shows in Task Manager, but no gui every shows up.

I downloaded the DAZ Installer and installed everything from there. I'm using the default settings that aren't perfect for me but I'm going to try and play with an alternate spot to put my files, or buy a bigger SSD for boxing day. I managed to get it working earlier today. If I'm right, it broke when I moved the public documents folder to another drive (my private folder has been moved for ages). As I backed out everything else when I remembered that I put it back to C and the installer loads properly again.

Now to play with it and see about putting stuff at a different point. So much to learn. Ah well no rush. Thanks for your help.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your Content folder can be any place you like. All you need to do is tell DAZ Studio where it is. Here is mine...

Capture-001.png
    477 x 463 - 37K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

Mine just started doing this. I moved a content folder. I went into the INI file and changed the paths, etc. No good, DIM still won't startup. No error messages, just seems to try to start, then nothing.

edited December 1969

Just tried removing it and reinstalling it. No joy. Still won't load at all.

edited December 1969

UPDATE: I was able to get mine to work. What I had to do was to make sure that I had a c:\Users\Public\Documents folder. I moved that folder to another hard drive, and DIM seems just fine using the D drive for the download cache and content library, but it apparently needs the folder on the C drive to be able to function.

JonnyRay said:
    Mine just started doing this. I moved a content folder. I went into the INI file and changed the paths, etc. No good, DIM still won't startup. No error messages, just seems to try to start, then nothing.