Could we PLEASE standardize the installer software you use for ALL of your products?

edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

...instead of having newer products use newer installers, and older ones use installers that (in some cases) don't work at all.

I haven't bought a ton of Davorama's stuff, but what I like what I've gotten so far...

...that is, I like what I've bought and have been able to install correctly...*AHEM*...DAZ...

SFCS2 and the ShardWeapons packages seem to have DAZ's older installer software that strangely doesn't seem to work. I've downloaded and tried to get them to go multiple times. And yes, I'm downloading the PC file, not the Mac one. No dice.

Why use installer programs at all? Why not just let users downloaded ZIP files like they have at Renderosity and RuntimeDNA? I just spent 50 dollars on something that I can get --ZERO-- use out of, thanks to the gay installer software.

I'd really like to have the product...my paying your asking price should tell you that. I don't want a refund, but if you're incapable of delivering it to me via your online distribution system then I'm afraid it's no sale, and I'll need my money back.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

They are in the process of switching everything to zip files, with an optional stand-alone install program for those who want the zips auto-installed.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

They are in the process of switching everything to zip files, with an optional stand-alone install program for those who want the zips auto-installed.

I'm really looking forward to this, downloading and installing PC and MAC files separately is a right pain in the backside ;-)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

I'm really looking forward to this, downloading and installing PC and MAC files separately is a right pain in the backside ;-)

I TOTALLY agree with you! But keep in mind.... they have THOUSANDS of products to convert. Of course I don't know why they just don't start with the newer ones. I half expected the Supersuit and all of it's add ons to be in zip files but nope... same old pita exe's! :coolmad:

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,207
    edited December 1969

I doubt we will see zips before there's at least a beta/preview version of the Install manager.

• edited December 1969

I have to agree with yungturk, why have installers at all. It creates a lot of clutter in the registry and the installed programs control panel (on windows) It would be great if we could just download and extract zip files to the appropriate folder. That is how Vue's Cornucopia3d.com 3d content website works.

It would be great if you could get a single zip file per order too. It is quite a pain to have to download dozens of files manually when you urchase a bundle, or multiple products.

Anyway, since Daz seems to be renovating their whole system, those are my suggestions.

gscampa

edited December 1969

As noted above, DAZ 3D is moving to zips, with an optional Install Manager for those who prefer installers.

• edited December 1969

That's great, I didn't mean to be redundant as you had previously mentioned that Daz is in the progress of moving toward zip file packaging. Just wanted to emphasize that it would be nice to be able to package a whole order/multiple products on a single zip file instead of having to download dozens of zip files. Thanks for your response though, it is great to see that you guys are looking at the forums.

Gabriel

edited December 1969

No problem, I understand it's still difficult to keep up with everything going on.

• LinHikaru7LinHikaru7 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Any chance of an ETA of the stand alone install program (other than DAZ SOON)? More details would give my heart much joy!