Why are we not allowed to create polls?

de3ande3an Posts: 915
edited July 2012 in The Commons

Simple question for DAZ authorities: Why are we not allowed to create forum polls?

Post edited by de3an on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197
    edited December 1969

Polls are a feature that needs to be used with restraint if they are not to lose their impact, they need to stand out when an official poll, such as a members choice list, is run. Also, by past experience it's too easy for people to put provocative or offensive questions and responses up - rather than getting into arguments over what is or isn't legitimate it seems best to pretty much lock them down. We would allow polls in the Art Studio, for render challenges etc., as on the old forums.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited July 2012

;-P so polls are like chocolate, pizza and icecream, a sometime food for special occassions. %-P
    unfortunately I am unhealthy eating gobble guts!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I thought it was because they were too Poll-Itical.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Meh!

Forum-Pole2.jpg
    490 x 814 - 191K
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

What we really need is a poll to see if polls should be allowed.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Sorry Richard but with all due respect...

Cridgit, while I was composing my response to Richard off-line, you must have been reading my mind because you touched on the same points that I intended to make.
    Even though it basically repeats what you wrote, I'm posting it below to reinforce the opinion.

Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm going to have to disagree with your reasoning (or who's ever reasoning it is).

"Polls are a feature that needs to be used with restraint if they are not to lose their impact"

I do not believe that to be true. Official DAZ polls will most likely be placed in the Announcements section or stickied to the top of the forum, thereby getting plenty of attention. Having numerous user polls scattered through the various other threads would hardly distract from the DAZ polls.

2. "by past experience it’s too easy for people to put provocative or offensive questions and responses up"
    In this regard, a poll is no different than a forum thread. If it doesn't conform to the forum's TOS then you delete it (I know that you are familiar with this procedure, since it seems to be your job to delete posts and lock threads).
    If a topic is acceptable, then a poll based on that topic should also be acceptable.
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

How about this:

The people running the forums don't want to support them. They really don't need a reason why.

Kendall

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

How about this:

The people running the forums don't want to support them. They really don't need a reason why.

Kendall

Then that's what they should say.
    I'd accept that as an answer.
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    How about this:

Kendall

funny how when we have something breifly then it is taken away it becomes insatiably desirable
    I am over uploading 800x800 animated gifs already
    just want the YouTube video embed from the old forum back!
    even the troll forums like something awful who I find dissing my videos by Google search and YouTube insight have that option.
    th_catz.gif
    160 x 32 - 61K
    edited May 2022

Redacted

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Can't see the big deal.

DAZ never had user polls before, so why start now. There's plenty of other places where you can start a poll and then link to them.

Why would anyone take offence about such a trivial matter, it now feels to me that people are looking for things to be angry about.

Thats's my personal view.

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited July 2012

I'm all for polls, as long as it's recognized that if they're posted in a forum (resulting in a huge sample bias), they're a not truly valid test of opinion, especially if they show the results before all the responses have been gathered.

I guess the fear is that people will start topics such as "What should Daz fix first?" a) past purchase notification b) forum post order c) login bug d) PC renewal issues.... or whatever. Then people get all riled up over the results because we're socialized to believe that statistics are a more powerful form of evidence and should therefore carry more weight in decision making -- which may be true in some instances, but not when the stats quoted aren't all that valid. But the fact that someone could quote numbers, even bad ones, seems to make some folks more emotional, or self-righteous, and it would be inflammatory.

If polls were confined to fun questions, they'd be fine. But somehow, I just know there'd be a lot of threads that would need to be deleted because it's easier to participate in an inflammatory but anonymous poll than in an actual thread.

Post edited by Velvet Goblin on
    edited December 1969

yeah Velvet Goblin, that WAS what my very recently deleted poll "forum desires" put up the first week was about!
    but
    hardly anyone posted in it
    it was forgotten until I mentioned it in this thread and they shut it down!
    I think a poll on who is hotter? M4, David3, Apollo Maximus or Hiro toon would get more responses ;-P

• LillianaLilliana Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

QFT

The point is polls have always been restricted to admin use only as a matter of policy. Frankly, it has been restricted to use as a business tool in conjunction with *Stickies and Announcements.*

Which is just fine by me because *I* have seen the abuse that does happen if you give your member base too much latitude first hand.

Can't see the big deal.

DAZ never had user polls before, so why start now. There's plenty of other places where you can start a poll and then link to them.

Why would anyone take offence about such a trivial matter, it now feels to me that people are looking for things to be angry about.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited July 2012

de3an said:
    How about this:

Kendall

Hehe, I was kind of thinking before I even opened this thread to read it, sometimes the best answer is the one parents have been using for countless generations (as inscribed in Egyptian hieroglyphics) "Because I said so!" Course, earlier man said it better even: "why..." "thunk" (insert picture with Mec4D's chars here) ;p

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

ROFL. I just got a mental picture of a caveman hitting the wife over the head and then dragging her by her hair like in the cartoons.

edited May 2022

Redacted

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    ROFL. I just got a mental picture of a caveman hitting the wife over the head and then dragging her by her hair like in the cartoons.

In Chohole's case, it's her dragging himself. :-)

Kendall

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It would be like a poll questioning which is worse; infighting or inbreeding... One leads to broken bones and black eyes, while the other leads to light brain damage.

Or worse polls. It would be fun in the beginning, but then it all starts, and Richard will need to pull out the club.

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

[snip]
    ...I think a poll on who is hotter? M4, David3, Apollo Maximus or Hiro toon would get more responses ;-P

Oh no! Don't you dare make me choose between David and Apollo.

edited December 1969

How about this:

Kendall

This might be true if people had not created any polls, but once polls were created and then admins/mods deleted them, an explanation was rhetorically necessary and common courtesy to boot. And since we aren't 6 anymore, a "because we said so" just doesn't cut it.

edited July 2012

Can't see the big deal.

There is nothing wrong with asking why polls aren't allowed. Just because one asks doesn't mean one is angry or that he or she is looking for things to complain about. In fact, it seem to me some are merely surprised that a feature that they liked, that worked (when so many other things did not) was suddenly taken away. It's a fair question. It doesn't really matter that is was not allowed before. After all, DAZ migrated their entire website here primarily to do things differently because the other software was outdated, gerry-rigged to the point of inefficiency, and limited future expansion. So I can see people expressing their desires and hopes for the new site.

Post edited by 3DProclivity on