Discovering updated products...a new idea.

CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Greetings,
If you look in your itemized order history for a given item, the first link in the row is to your actual order. On your actual order page, there is a list of installer information underneath it. That installer information appears to be live data. That is to say, it's pulled from the item information when the page is shown to you. If this is true, that means that it's usable as a source of 'what has updated', because the indicated installer information will have a newer version number than when you bought it.

If that's true, and it remains so, it might be possible to write a tool that downloads all that information occasionally and lets you know when stuff has changed.

There's a lot of 'if's in there, admittedly, but any chance of being able to work around DAZ's timeframe and develop a tool that does stuff that they don't have the time to take on yet is an interesting chance.

-- Morgan

e.g. This block in your order details:

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited July 2012

I've been considering this myself., but as far as I've noticed it's only for items that you have purchased since the new store was introduced. With older items you have to reset them before the file info shows up (see screenshot). And whether the file names here are updated automatically by DAZ, when the files are updated, is the question. Resetting your whole history every time you want to check for updated items is probably not a good solution.

I think it might be better if DAZ sent an email to those who own the items, with a reset link or whatever, whenever they're updated. Shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

As for tools that solves some of the current store problems, click the link in my sig.

before_after_reset.jpg
    463 x 519 - 66K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

DAZ will be providing a handy "Install Helper" that will tell you exactly that. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear that it is pretty cool.

Kendall

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

DAZ will be providing a handy "Install Helper" that will tell you exactly that. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear that it is pretty cool.

Kendall

I know; I've heard that for a while, and I'm really looking forward to it, but until they do we have to find something that works at least somewhat. Resetting everything, as Taozen points out, is not a very good way to check for updates. So outside of 'group knowledge', how do we find that information out prior to DAZ making that tool available?

-- Morgan

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,

Kendall

I know; I've heard that for a while, and I'm really looking forward to it, but until they do we have to find something that works at least somewhat. Resetting everything, as Taozen points out, is not a very good way to check for updates. So outside of 'group knowledge', how do we find that information out prior to DAZ making that tool available?

-- Morgan

I'm willing to host an online database to hold this info. The versions can be updated by you folks.

Kendall