Any Utilities to Convert Poser shaders to D|S materials?

PtropePtrope Posts: 679
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

With as many products that are out there for Poser that are mostly compatible with D|S, I'm surprised that I can't find any scripts or utilities that can convert a Poser material with complex nodes into one that delivers the same or similar results in D|S. Am I just not using the right search terms? It seems a really glaring oversight - or a really glaring opportunity! - given the number of models out there that don't QUITE look right in D|S because it flushes the nodes down the can and hasn't been designed from the ground up to handle this. Users shouldn't have to spend hours rebuilding materials for something, especially something they bought, just because no one has addressed this most basic requirement.

So, am I missing something out there?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

To different animals and I would be surprised if there was such a conversion tool out there...but I could be wrong. :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've seen older DS to older Poser, NEVER a Poser to DS. It would be cool if it was done.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I know that a couple of people have made stabs at it, but the differences in how even similar functions are implemented and parameterized make it quite complicated even for those nodes.

• Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I have: RSR to PNG Converter,
    Easy2Convert PNG to JPG.
    Also there is "Converting mc6 mt5 files to pz2 Tutorial" from Poserpedia. That convert mc6 and mt5 to pz2 mat figures and mat props. The tutorial is created by Yanlis3D.net if you don't see on Poserpedia. You will need a file text editor to change script but changes are relatively easy. I use "Notepad++" but there are lots of other text edit programs.
    I've used this procedure for mt5 to pz2, but haven't tried on an mc6 (which has multiple material zones). The tutorial says it works up to Poser 7.2
    The Tutorial is for Daz Studio 3.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

even the Basic settings have never been fully converted across properly they still need tweaking there is suck a difference within the two programs that the moment some one uses nodes in poser we have to recreate a similar setting using the shader setting built in to DS so far no one has found a conversion process.

it tends to be the rule of thumb that each render program has its own shader system and you have to tweek when you transfer between programs.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Yes, it's quite complicated.

I wrote up a mini tutorial on the basics of what I do during conversions that you can find here -> http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=156773

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

The renderers are too different. 3Delight is a fully compliant Renderman system, and as such has all of the power, and problems, inherent to Renderman. It is possible to import any Renderman Shader into 3Delight regardless of originating system. Firefly is Tempest. At one point, Renderman compliance was planned, but then dropped by the developer who went Mac development only leaving SM holding the Firefly jar.

In a nutshell, one would have to write a Firefly to Renderman converter. I'm sure that anyone who did so would be a hero to the Poser Community for eternity.

Kendall

• Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

If you wanted to limit the surface aspects to just the colors, Daz3D has a free program called dasRGB Color Correcter. It's not automatic but will at least give the right colors without fiddling endlessly. It should be in freebie area still...
    Somebody should talk/bribe/beg Winterbrose into doing a complete converter.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Yes, it's quite complicated.

I wrote up a mini tutorial on the basics of what I do during conversions that you can find here -> http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=156773

Which ironically I just made good use of to replace some existing Studio presets! I picked up Genesis Tres Jolie and its Plus Jolie texture set in the sale a couple of weeks ago, both have largely shader-based Studio texturing, at least some of which uses a shader I don't have (truth to tell I couldn't get anything to work well, but I had some other issues with shaders that weekend and couldn't tell precisely what was down to Jolie alone). Quickest way to work around it was to write simple PZ2 installers for the clothes to get them into studio with textures but without shaders applied, then apply your customization process, which worked just fine.

Aleks_Off_Duty_-_Compact.jpg
    565 x 800 - 117K