what does all this mean!

R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
edited December 2013 in The Commons

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm a pretty amateur Daz user.. meaning i don't use it a lot. I have Daz 4.5... the Genesis figure, Victoria 5... NOW there's Genesis 2, Victoria 6,, what does this mean? what's the difference between Genesis and Genesis 2 .
What do I need to do to be up to date with this?

Thanks

Post edited by R1CH1 on

Comments

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

For starters there is 4.6 version of Daz Studio out now.

If you go to your product library under your account page you should see genesis starter essentials (which is both male and female) and also genesis female 2 starter essentials and genesis 2 male starter essentials. They are all free. I'm not sure but I don't know if any of the genesis 2 stuff will work with 4.5.

The genesis female and genesis 2 female have a 'shape' character that is an updated version of Victoria 4. Genesis has V5 and Genesis 2 female has V6 shape.

But both also have a V4 shape you can get that is almost identical to the original Victoria that came out with Daz Studio 3. It will allow you to use your V4 items on Genesis/Genesis 2 Female if you bought the shapes for them.

• R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

hey thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. I have the 4.6 install, but one thing I know about DAZ is that its not the kind of program you want to mess with once you have it running fairly okay.. So can I install 4.6 over 4.5? or should I uninstall 4.5, then install 4.6? and what about my 4.5 content?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Installing 4.6 will uninstall 4.5, but it will leave your content and settings alone.

edited December 1969

so your saying the content should transfer over?

edited December 1969

Yes, only the 4.5 application will get uninstalled and replaced. The content and your settings will be left alone.

edited December 2013

so now I installed 4.6, and the Genesis 2 essentials.. I want to download the V6, but I'm not sure.. what else does it need? My V5 has muscles, all kinds of morphs attached to it. What does V6 have?

-Wow, i found it. Its all the same V5 morphs stuff, but for V6,, just have to buy it all again. -wonderful

Post edited by R1CH1 on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 2013

V6 is a more realistic take on modern supermodel ideals. However what makes V6 unique from her proceeding sisters is the fact that she has the updated G2F mesh with all the improved bends and curves. However, if you learn how to utilize the Transfer Utility, you can easily send all your Gen 5 morphs over to G2F so you can use them on V6.

There is a glorious page here that teaches you how to do that HERE.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 2013

11R1CH11 said:

-Wow, i found it. Its all the same V5 morphs stuff, but for V6,, just have to buy it all again. -wonderful

Actually, you don't if you know to use Autofit, which works MUCH better with the G2 figures than it did with the G1 figure. :)
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 2013

11R1CH11 said:

Actually, you don't if you know to use Autofit, which works MUCH better with the G2 figures than it did with the G1 figure. :)

hey, thanks for responding. I know about the Autofit.. but that's just for hair, clothes, etc.. The body morphs have to be all bought from scratch though... I'm only sad because I bought quite a bit for the G1/V5.. It's just a bit annoying.. it's not like we can trade stuff back

Post edited by R1CH1 on
    edited December 1969

Hey, what options for Muscles does the V6 have?

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Yes, only the 4.5 application will get uninstalled and replaced. The content and your settings will be left alone.

This is not entirely true.

It is true if DS 4.5 was installed with DIM.

If DS4.5 was installed manually, then DIM will create a new install directory and install to that.

It's an issue I pointed out to CS a month ago.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:

If DS4.5 was installed manually, then DIM will create a new install directory and install to that.

Yes, that's true, the old version will only be uninstalled if you use the same install method. But settings and content are still not uninstalled regardless.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:

Yes, that's true, the old version will only be uninstalled if you use the same install method. But settings and content are still not uninstalled regardless.

Based on personal experience, all the content needs to be reinstalled. If you don't a variety of bad things will happen. Errors in DIM on future install processes, shaders missing, lights not working, etc.

It has something to do with the new DS installation not fully integrating with the old software files. Probably due to items being installed in a different DS software directory and not initializing to the new location.

So the content buttons will work, but geometries and such won't link up.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,163
    edited December 1969

Whereas V5 and M5 (and Freak5) have been around for a while and have a rich selection of shape and muscle morphs, unfortunately V6 and especially M6 are still relatively new. The various shape and muscle morph sets may not yet have been issued.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    Legionair said:

Based on personal experience, all the content needs to be reinstalled. If you don't a variety of bad things will happen. Errors in DIM on future install processes, shaders missing, lights not working, etc.

It has something to do with the new DS installation not fully integrating with the old software files. Probably due to items being installed in a different DS software directory and not initializing to the new location.

Is this only when going from a stand-alone installer to a DIM installation, or every time you update? I didn't have any such issues when I first installed DS using DIM, even though it installed to a different location. This is the release version you're talking about, right? Not the public beta?

edited December 1969

This is what happened, as far as I can tell, it took me a while to figure out the cause...

Previous to DIM, I installed everything manually. Everything was working fine.

DIM was introduced. I deleted all previous content and reinstalled all content. At this point applications were not supported. Everything was still fine.

Six months ago (I think) DIM started supporting applications. A month or two after that a DS update was included.

At this point things got funky...

Certain lights wouldn't work. Some shaders would cause a crash when a render was attempted. Some figures would not load. Gen X failed on use. Other plug ins would return odd behavior.

DIM would return errors on certain packages when an update was available to these items.

The problem was none of these errors were connected. They were intermittent. They didn't point to one specific problem. CS was unable to determine their causes or a resolution.

Uninstalling these would fix the errors. Temporarily.

Then I realized that DS icons were pointing to different locations. Icons on the desktop were pointing to one install while links under Start menu would point to a different one.

That was when I discovered four or five different DS installations. I tracked these installations down to different updates that DIM installed. I determined this by matching the date created on the directories with the download dates of the software packages.

So last weekend I had no choice but to uninstall everything. All the DS installations. All Carrara installs. All content files. Everything including DIM and CMS.

I then started over, allowing DIM to install DS. Then all additional content. Now all problems have been resolved.

edited December 1969

Did you change the install paths for 32-bit and 64-bit applications in DIM? Even when I had DS installed in 2 locations (one from the stand-along installer and one from DIM) they both worked and all the content in them worked.

edited December 1969

Did you change the install paths for 32-bit and 64-bit applications in DIM? Even when I had DS installed in 2 locations (one from the stand-along installer and one from DIM) they both worked and all the content in them worked.

Never changed anything previous to this weekend. Except for initially setting up my Download, Software and Content Directories.

When DIM installed the DS "update" it created a DAZ3D directory under my original DS installation. It left the old installation there. It then started installing all DS directory dependent software under this new directory. So that immediately broke those items, depending on which DS icon was used.

Then later it got worse.

When the next DS update came along, DIM installed that under yet another sub directory under the new installation it created previously.

In other words I had three DS installations:
    X:\DAZStudio > Original directory
    X:\DAZStudio\DAZ3D\DAZStudio > First "update"
    X:\DAZStudio\DAZ3D\DAZStudio\DAZ3D\DAZStudio > Second "update"

I never install the Public Betas. I had enough problems going on.

The above directories are all the 64 bit installations. The 32 bit ones were even worse, but I never used that version.

edited December 1969

On, and I blame all of this problems on lack of documentation and zero communication from DAZ. Had they explained the DIM process properly, then this wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't have wasted so much time uninstalling and reinstalling and being completely frustrated by unpredictable behavior.

CS was useless as they seemed to understand the behavior of the DIM software even less than I did. I had to do all the troubleshooting and experimentation to fix this. The only thing CS could provide was "did you agree to the new EULA?" And that only came after a month and a half of ignoring me.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:

Never changed anything previous to this weekend. Except for initially setting up my Download, Software and Content Directories.

When DIM installed the DS "update" it created a DAZ3D directory under my original DS installation. It left the old installation there. It then started installing all DS directory dependent software under this new directory. So that immediately broke those items, depending on which DS icon was used.

Then later it got worse.

When the next DS update came along, DIM installed that under yet another sub directory under the new installation it created previously.

In other words I had three DS installations:
    X:\DAZStudio > Original directory
    X:\DAZStudio\DAZ3D\DAZStudio > First "update"
    X:\DAZStudio\DAZ3D\DAZStudio\DAZ3D\DAZStudio > Second "update"

I never install the Public Betas. I had enough problems going on.

The above directories are all the 64 bit installations. The 32 bit ones were even worse, but I never used that version.

It sounds like you kept putting the path to DS in the place for 64-bit software installations.

edited December 1969

It sounds like you kept putting the path to DS in the place for 64-bit software installations.

Okay, now you are sounding like CS.

As I said earlier. I assigned the directory ONCE. DIM decided to create multiple sub-directories every time it did an update.

I certainly didn't create all the DS software directories that were listed under applications.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:

Okay, now you are sounding like CS.

As I said earlier. I assigned the directory ONCE. DIM decided to create multiple sub-directories every time it did an update.

I certainly didn't create all the DS software directories that were listed under applications.

Can you post a screenshot of your Settings > Installation tab?

edited December 1969

I can post a screen shot of the resolved installation. I no longer have the errors. Nor the insane configurations that DIM created.

edited December 1969

If I sound bitter and frustrated it's because I posted about these issues in July:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/385274/
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/386906/
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/386909/

I opened a CS ticket in August. Which was ignored for weeks. In the end the ticket was closed when I expressed frustration with the endless error logs I was being asked to provide. And not getting any sort of real support or direction.

I was then back in the forum trying to find assistance.

From middle of November:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/484815/

From end of November:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33033/

I've been essentially dead in the water since July. With intermittent spurts of usefulness out of the software before more errors would pop up.

edited December 1969

11R1CH11 said:
    11R1CH11 said:

hey, thanks for responding. I know about the Autofit.. but that's just for hair, clothes, etc.. The body morphs have to be all bought from scratch though... I'm only sad because I bought quite a bit for the G1/V5.. It's just a bit annoying.. it's not like we can trade stuff back
    Again, not true if you use Transfer Utility.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 2013

11R1CH11 said:

Sometimes "to buy it all again" seems to be the main idea. In case of G2 generation - "to buy it all again" twice.
    The most of customers do that way.
    Post edited by Coon Ra on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    Legionair said:

Well, I have some trouble with a poser figure in DS4 DS4.5 and DS4.6 but what I never had were problems with the installed content after installing a new DS version. Most of my content is still under studio 3 back from the DS3 times :) and all works fine.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

11R1CH11 said:

True, but you're not forced to use Gen 6 or Genesis 2. I'm happy with Genesis and won't buy everything again as I see no reason or improvement to do it.

Maybe you could investigate a bit firther about the possibility of transfering Genesis 2 characters to Genesis, I think I read something about it in a thread here. So you don't have to buy again the muscle or evolution morphs. Not to mention male and female bases use separate morphs sets now.

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    11R1CH11 said:

True, but you're not forced to use Gen 6 or Genesis 2. I'm happy with Genesis and won't buy everything again as I see no reason or improvement to do it.

Maybe you could investigate a bit firther about the possibility of transfering Genesis 2 characters to Genesis, I think I read something about it in a thread here. So you don't have to buy again the muscle or evolution morphs. Not to mention male and female bases use separate morphs sets now.

I'm not saying it couldn't be possible, but i think it would be hard to apply the new geometry to the older model. Of course we can buy packages that apply the old geometry to the new.. such as my Gen2 now supports V4, but i don't think it would work the other way around.
    I agree though, It is upsetting to have to keep starting from zero every time they come up with the next model. And all that older morphs I have just take up space in my software. I can't bring myself to uninstall anything.

this kind of reminds me of what Microsoft is doing to me by forcing me to buy the Xbox One, when I have a perfectly good 360 sitting right in front of me. But if I want to proceed with any on the new content,, I have to

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

11R1CH11 said:
    Hellboy said:
    11R1CH11 said:

I'm not saying it couldn't be possible, but i think it would be hard to apply the new geometry to the older model. Of course we can buy packages that apply the old geometry to the new.. such as my Gen2 now supports V4, but i don't think it would work the other way around.
    I agree though, It is upsetting to have to keep starting from zero every time they come up with the next model. And all that older morphs I have just take up space in my software. I can't bring myself to uninstall anything.

this kind of reminds me of what Microsoft is doing to me by forcing me to buy the Xbox One, when I have a perfectly good 360 sitting right in front of me. But if I want to proceed with any on the new content,, I have to

Don't be fooled into thinking there aren't any improvements... there are.. a good chunk of them are under the hood.. the things content developers had to do to give you the illusion that things worked smoothly with Gen1 and you see no difference in Gen2.. that was a lot of work. From fixing bending with correctives or trying to make a dress on a figure with no breasts, those are a lot easier with gen 2. And it's a lot easier to make something looking more male or female... something that was more of a struggle with Gen1.