Eagle 2 Expansion ... $30 for jpegs that don't load?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited July 2012 in The Commons

I just bought the Eagle 2 Expansion product. And what do I get? A zip file of nothing but jpegs that don't even show up in the Daz interface.

The ad page boasts:

Features

Fourteen raptor species (eagles, hawks, falcons, and kites) are included:
American Kestrel (male and female)
Black Eagle
Blackhawk
Black Kite
Black-Shouldered Kite (also known as the White-Tailed Kite)
Cara-Cara
Golden Eagle
Gyrfalcon (dark, grey, and white variants)
Harpy Eagle
Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Red-Tailed Hawk (one Eastern and one Western variant)
Steller's Sea Eagle
Swallow-Tailed Kite
Each species loads scaled to its appropriate size and with the species textures with MAT poses.
Textures included:
18 Body textures 3000x3000
18 Wing/Tail Textures are 2000x2000
3 Eye Textures 500x500
Plus body feather trans + maps, leg feather trans + maps for each species

Where is the supposed scaling, the supposed expansion? When converting files over to zip, did Daz forget to include some files, or is this all I get?

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I don't know that product, but maybe try downloading and installing it again? I've installed things before only to find that there were files missing, and it turned out that not everything came through the first time I downloaded it.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I don't know that product, but maybe try downloading and installing it again? I've installed things before only to find that there were files missing, and it turned out that not everything came through the first time I downloaded it.

I'll try it again. It would help if the new site gave us an estimated file size so I can tell if the whole file downloads ...

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Ok first off it does say in bold in your post that Scaling is automatic when you load the species you want.

Secondly did you get two files? I am presuming there is no metadata for this product. If that is the case then they should show up in Poser Formats or Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library Pane and not Smart Content. I would check but I don't have this expansion pack yet.

edited July 2012

Szark said:
    Ok first off it does say in bold in your post that Scaling is automatic when you load the species you want.

Secondly did you get two files? I am presuming there is no metadata for this product. If that is the case then they should show up in Poser Formats or Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library Pane and not Smart Content. I would check but I don't have this expansion pack yet.

That's what I am trying to say. I only have one zip file with only one texture file in it. None of which shows up ANYWHERE in my Daz interface. There is nothing to load. The zip file looks like this:

2.jpg
    777 x 437 - 42K
    Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

Sorry misunderstood. Ok then unfortunatley we can't do anything from here. You will have to make a support ticket to sales or phone them if your are in the states. Sorry about that.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

That's what I am trying to say. I only have one zip file with only one texture file in it. None of which shows up ANYWHERE in my Daz interface. There is nothing to load. The zip file looks like this:

But it is in a perfectly fine runtime structure - which tells me that Daz borked it when they made the (probably ages old) installer into a zip.
    Tell Support and they will fix it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

I do have a fairly full set of textures, not just one, but I don't see the pz2 files in the zip.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I do have a fairly full set of textures, not just one, but I don't see the pz2 files in the zip.

Is that the original file?
    Could you reset your downloads to find out about the new ones?
    Aidana's picture shows one of the new IM0000097-whatever zip file names.

edited December 1969

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I have reset the product, and re-downloaded twice, now. I also think that DAZ forgot key files when converting it to a zip. I will call today as soon as they open. I'm just glad I'm not crazy ... lol.

So there are more files supposed to be included in this, right? It has it's own morphs and such, right? And it its supposed to at least show u in the Daz interface under the contents tab, I presume, not a manually loaded texture?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

That was a reset - it has the textures, but not the pz2 files. This is being looked at by QA now.

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

I'll try it again. It would help if the new site gave us an estimated file size so I can tell if the whole file downloads ...

I have this product. According to the information in my 3D Content Database, the file sizes are as follows:

Mac File Size: 66.43Mb in 2 files
    PC File Size: 65.21Mb in 2 files

Hope that helps some.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

That was a reset - it has the textures, but not the pz2 files. This is being looked at by QA now.

Thank you. I just bought this, thinking I could start my book cover right away, and was apprehensive to begin with since there were no other images listed but the one, to find I can do nothing with this file.

I really hope to get started soon before my client demands her money back.

edited December 1969

I have this product. According to the information in my 3D Content Database, the file sizes are as follows:

Mac File Size: 66.43Mb in 2 files
    PC File Size: 65.21Mb in 2 files

Hope that helps some.

Thanks. It does help. What I downloaded is not near that size. But it's just a zip file, so it's hard to say.

edited December 1969

You guys were right, the file was 'broken'. The Daz team should have if fixed by the end of the day :D

Yeah!

On a side note, though, I found it alarming that the initial person helping me was in no way even familiar with Daz 3 ... AT ALL ... she didn't even have working knowledge that there is no 'library' file or that us DS3 users get our textures and morphs under a 'poses' file.

In the end, she did help me. But if I were a tech support or sales support person, I would at least be familiar with a system that is not that old. It's not like I'm using DS2 or 1 or something.

But as mentioned before, in the end she found the problem and set things in motion for it to be resolved. So even though she didn't know DS3, she did have the tenacity to find someone who did and made me feel better. Daz gets an A, today, because of her :D Too many times I have called tech support, for any reason from any company, and had people not even care that they didn't know an older software version. I was out of date, so I could not be helped. Such was not so today.

:-)

edited December 1969

To be fair a number of the Daz employees are newish and like anyone in a new job needs time to get product knowledge.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    To be fair a number of the Daz employees are newish and like anyone in a new job needs time to get product knowledge.

True, but I have worked customer service myself, and putting an employee in the position of customer support that she has no knowledge of, or training in, is unfair to her, in my opinion.

But as I said, also, she impressed me. She did not get frustrated, she handled the situation, and go the job done, anyway. :D

edited December 1969

Szark said:

True, but I have worked customer service myself, and putting an employee in the position of customer support that she has no knowledge of, or training in, is unfair to her, in my opinion.
    LOL Too true and I do agree with. I wish my bosses took your advice as all my customer service training was on the job training. Twice I was chucked in at the deep end. Didn't take me long to get my product knowledge up to speed though.

But yes the Daz employee did have the intelligence to ask another which as you say doesn't happen much these days.

On a personal note I have no complaints with the support staff over the last 3 years, even now with a staff change.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Szark said:

LOL Too true and I do agree with. I wish my bosses took your advice as all my customer service training was on the job training. Twice I was chucked in at the deep end. Didn't take me long to get my product knowledge up to speed though.

But yes the Daz employee did have the intelligence to ask another which as you say doesn't happen much these days.

On a personal note I have no complaints with the support staff over the last 3 years, even now with a staff change.

I completely agree with that. Any time I've ever called DAZ, the situation is always resolved right away.

Support tickets, on the other hand, can take weeks ... lol. I've learned, if I don't hear anything within a week, I call. If I need the problem resolved fasted, I sip the ticket and just call ... lol.

edited December 1969

I know others have had slow responses to tickets and the longest I have had to wait was a few weeks back and it took 5 days and that was with a weekend in the middle. Plus I don't think it had anything to do with me being a CV. Probably an easy fix. LOL Besides I couldn't afford the phone calls, being in the UK. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I know others have had slow responses to tickets and the longest I have had to wait was a few weeks back and it took 5 days and that was with a weekend in the middle. Plus I don't think it had anything to do with me being a CV. Probably an easy fix. LOL Besides I couldn't afford the phone calls, being in the UK. :)

They need a Live Chat feature. I have one on my site and it really help when it comes to international customer relations/support. Best part, it's free :D At lest it is for me. For a big company like Daz, it might not be.

Although, considering the fact that when I call, I pretty much get the same few people, they may be able to start with the free version. I am allowed up to 5 customer windows open at one time. And I can't retain a copy unless I c/p the cat, which I do, but the pro version allows a copy to be kept.

edited December 1969

I just received an email stating that the product has been corrected, so if you reset your order again your should find all files in the zip.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Hey, I'm interested about this one (considering a purchase) -- if you do some renders and can show them to audience at large, I would love to see some boids with big beaks and claws. :)

edited December 1969

I just received an email stating that the product has been corrected, so if you reset your order again your should find all files in the zip.

Yes! I was impressed with Daz's CS on the matter. When I called, the agent wasn't even aware of how DS3 works, but she pushed past that and found the problem and got me to working on my book cover.

It's looking great and I am enjoying the added freedom of movements. If you want a couple promo images to add to the product page, let me know. :D

• RGuineyRGuiney Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Question... (didn't see where this was asked previously) Looking at the product page for the Eagle 2 Expansion, it mentions that the Eagle 2 product is required for the Expansion to work.
    So it is very possible that the expansion package is just textures., however the product page also says there should be two installers. Not sure if that means one mac, once pc, or two for mac, and two for pc.

Do you have the Eagle 2.0 product in addition to the Eagle 2 Expansion?

edited December 1969

RGuiney said:
    Question... (didn't see where this was asked previously) Looking at the product page for the Eagle 2 Expansion, it mentions that the Eagle 2 product is required for the Expansion to work.
    So it is very possible that the expansion package is just textures., however the product page also says there should be two installers. Not sure if that means one mac, once pc, or two for mac, and two for pc.

Do you have the Eagle 2.0 product in addition to the Eagle 2 Expansion?

Now that I have it, I can answer thins ... lol. I'm not sure why it requires Eagle 2, because it is it's own figure with it's own morphs and textures. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems easier to pose and customize than E2, also.

I definitely find it a step up from E2, even if there are not as many texture options.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

The product most probably came only with Cr2s and textures but not with it's own object so it needs the original Eagle 2.

edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    The product most probably came only with Cr2s and textures but not with it's own object so it needs the original Eagle 2.

OK, guys ... I say again. The file was fixed by Daz, and yes, it has it's own figures and morphs and textures. As soon as I can, I'll share the cover art I am using it for.

edited December 1969

Yep, I know. I was answering because you posted above you are not sure why the Eagle 2 was needed to use the Expansion pack. A figure is a Cr2 file and that Cr2 file has the morphs and textures and loads with them. But I was talking about the object that is needed to load the Cr2. When the product page states that Eagle 2 is needed then because the Expansion is based on that original figure. And an expansion pack usually does not contain the original object of the figure it is based on. If you don't have the original object then your figures won't load, no matter how many Cr2s and textures you've got.

edited December 1969

Ohhh ... so your saying that even though it's it own figure, it uses some of the data loaded by the original figure. Right? That would make sense. Plus, it would keep down fie size, I would think. Wouldn't it?

edited December 1969

Yes, every figure needs an object. That's the base file the figure is made from. First you have the object, take it into your posing program like DAZ Studio or Poser and then you rig it to make a posable figure from it. The object is located under Runtime/Geometries in it's specific folder. For the Eagle 2 the object is located under Runtime/Geometries/DAZAnimals and it's called DAZEagle2.obj The object is rather small, this one has about 9 Mb. It's not included with the expansion pack because it's DAZ property and the expansion is made by a PA who does not own the rights to the original DAZ figure. Including the object would circumvent the need for new customers to own the original figure plus it would violate DAZ copyright.