Using Genesis-2 figures in earlier versions of Poser and D/S

jarbeardjarbeard Posts: 53

Can the Genesis figures be converted so they can be used in earlier versions of Poser_i.e. 6,7,8 and D/S_ 2,3?

If it's possible how is it done?

John.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

No, they are triax weight mapped figures, and they cannot be used in DS3 or earlier, or Poser 8 or earlier.

• jarbeardjarbeard Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

The weight mapping can be changed surely?

After all if you check the Edit/Figure/Rigging tab you'll see the options that are available. If you can convert a non weight mapped figure to weight mapping then the opposite should be possible.

What I've found when I tried to change the figure was that the Pelvis and the additional abdomen bone bone cause most of the problems, that and the way the figure has been mapped.

John.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Not entirely true Jimmy, exporting G1 & G2 as a CR2 from DS4 will give you something you can load into earlier versions of DS & Poser, it just wont bend in any of them as most of the required joint info is missing.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 2013

jarbeard said:
    The weight mapping can be changed surely?

After all if you check the Edit/Figure/Rigging tab you'll see the options that are available. If you can convert a non weight mapped figure to weight mapping then the opposite should be possible.

What I've found when I tried to change the figure was that the Pelvis and the additional abdomen bone bone cause most of the problems, that and the way the figure has been mapped.

John.

That's a bit like saying because you can convert an Illustrator blend to a raster image you should be able to convert an arbitrary raster image to a blend between two discs.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Not entirely true Jimmy, exporting G1 & G2 as a CR2 from DS4 will give you something you can load into earlier versions of DS & Poser, it just wont bend in any of them as most of the required joint info is missing.

And since those versions don't have subdivision, they would be low poly as well.

edited December 1969

Come on Richard, If I knew what you were on about I might be able to reply,

I may have disappeared from the forums for a long time but we've both been members here for ages.

if you add something to a model, it can be deleted.

John.

That's a thing, why am I classed as a new member, it's almost insulting:-)

J.

edited December 2013

I meant that a weigh-mapped figure assigns the weight (how much the bend affects that vertex) vertex by vertex, while a legacy rig just uses two spheres with everything inside one having a weight of 1, everything outside both having a weight of 0, and intermediate points having a weight proportional to their distance from the two spheres. Going from the latter to the former is just a question of reading off the weights and plugging them into the map (just a list of values in the same order as the list of vertices), but going from a list of values to a pair of spheres will be very hard if it's even possible. Also, in Poser rigging the weights can vary only over the current bone and its parent - with weight mapped rigging there's no limit to where an intermediate value may be found. DS simply uses one system or the other, you can't delete the weight map and be left with a legacy rig (Poser does allow mixing of rigs, and in some cases the weight map may only adjust the legacy rig, but that's no help in converting Genesis).

New Member etc. just goes by post count - I wish we didn't have it displayed.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for explaining that old friend, I knew I should have come back sooner, if only to keep up with what was happening.

Apart from us are there any of the old fools club still here?

John.

edited December 1969

Leana posts occasionally, certainly. Though my sense of chronology is not exactly reliable