V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 Female(s)....it really works.

peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Here is an older skin (by arcebus) that was converted to a Genesis 2 model.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

nice one pete, is there any texture stretching or distortion as I can only see the face. ;)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I have this wislisted.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm....I'm puzzled about what this product really does, that I can't already do without it. Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female is a required product. It already already has the ability to load DUF format V4 skins on Genesis 2 Female. If you have an older non-DUF skin, all you have to do first is load it onto V4 and save it out as a material preset in DUF fomat. Then that saved V4 DUF skin can be used on either V4, Genesis, or G2F. You don't need to maintain separate versions for each model. When Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female came out, there were several forum threads about how to do it. I converted several V4 Elite skins that way and have been using them on G2F and Genesis just fine for months. I understand that there are some minor surface differences related to eye reflection (maybe others) between V4. Genesis. and G2F. Perhaps this new product better compensates for that. I don't know. Maybe someone who owns this new product, or DraagonStorm, can explain what I'm missing by doing it without this new converter.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I wondered if perhaps this converts all v4 content to the correct format for autofit? The content that is not in dson so you don't have to do it manually?

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606
    edited September 2013

http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female is a required product. It already already has the ability to load DUF format V4 skins on Genesis 2 Female. If you have an older non-DUF skin, all you have to do first is load it onto V4 and save it out as a material preset in DUF format. Then that saved V4 DUF skin can be used on either V4, Genesis, or G2F.

This much is true. You CAN convert things that way. With the script, you skip the middle step of saving the duf format first. With this script, you just apply the v4 uvs, click on the script and select the dsa of the v4 skin. Then it auto-magically is applied to g2f.

According to Draagonstorm, it takes the v4 mat information and changes the names so that it applies to g2f without any other in between steps. From that point it's easy peasy to save the duf file. I like it a lot and find it really useful and accurate.

Post edited by Lyoness on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation. I guess it is just another way to do it, without the hassle of saving the DUF file. That would be easier. The price right now on sale is not very expensive.

• Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 377
    edited October 2013

Much better than going through a bunch of saves.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
    edited October 2013

Well I bought this thing and let the install manager install it.... Now what? I can't find it anywhere. not in windows , not in my library.....

EDIT: Ok so i found it in my library under G2 female, but now how to make the thing work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post edited by Malandar on
    edited December 1969

Ok I think I have part of it down, but getting an error when I try to ...... You know a readme or some frappin instructions on how to use this thing would be nice..........

edited December 1969

Ok this is beginning to make me want to just return the thing because every time I try to use it it gives me

Unable to process = whatever texture I try.duf. there is not a matching .ds .dsa or pz2 file...... Do the textures you want to convert have to be in DS as well? because that would be something that might be useful information for those of us who have massive multiple runtimes.

edited December 1969

Never mind, I am an idiot. Figures it would be something like this, I forgot to change the UV map to V4.

edited December 1969

Did you try to open the texture presets?

edited December 1969

Well yeah i guess. I clicked the icon with the genie lamp on it and got a window. so I navigated to the texture I wanted and clicked it. and got the error I mentioned. Now I have managed to get one texture to work that was not set up for DS as far as I know by loading it on v4 and saving it as a duf file. THEN it worked after I changed the UV to V4.

edited December 1969

It worked fine for me. Just make sure you aren't trying to open the actual texture, just the preset files.

edited December 1969

You have to find the texture presets you want in your content library ,hover the mouse over a preset to see the path where it is located then browse there when you open the script. Then, choose the preset you want to load.

• SupernalPhantasiaSupernalPhantasia Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Why does Genesis 2 look so dark?
    Here is Genesis, on the left, with Isa. Genesis 2, on the right, also has Isa applied via the converter.

Isa_-_Genesis_(left)_vs_Genesis_2_(right).png
    1000 x 1200 - 1M
  • reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

Does this only work converting presets? Does it work using .jpg textures?

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited October 2013

Could be lighting. I have that texture. It's a poser texture so it has a light green tint added to the skin texture maps diffuse channel. To make your skins look better in Daz, you should go in and change that green color to white. You'll have to do this manually either with the V4 skin converter of if you just saved using V4 or Genesis.

Here's a couple of images using Isa skin texture to show you what I mean. (This is just the default Daz studio light set up.) Second image shows the editor panel. * Note image shows the original Poser mat diffuse green tint...change this to white if using Daz Studio.

which-diffuse-to-change.jpg
    865 x 493 - 119K
    diffuse-color.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 358K
    Post edited by Pixel8ted on
    edited October 2013

You picked the one in the Pose folder rather than the People folder.
    \DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Aiko 4\Textures\ART_Isa_A4

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited October 2013

Oh, yeah forgot about there being a Poser and DS version files that can be downloaded.

I used to pretty much render in Poser so my Isa has only the Poser files version of that skin installed. Since it's a pain to swap diffuse settings for all those textures, I'll probably redownload my Daz V4 skins and download the DS versions and install those to cut down on the conversion process.

Anyway, you probably got it on why the skin looks different on the OP's gen 1 vs gen2fem...one has a ds mat file version applied and the other has the ps mat file version applied.

Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • jcowb1jcowb1 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

I can't get the thing to work at all. Same problems others have mentioned but I am unable to change the uv map to v4 as it doesn't show up in the uv maps section. I have watched the video on its use but that was no help.

• jcowb1jcowb1 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

I knew that would happen. Been trying for days to get it to work with no luck. Figured I would whinge and sure enough the next try worked perfectly! Haven't got the faintest idea why.

• SupernalPhantasiaSupernalPhantasia Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Ah, that would do it. I forgot she installs to both locations. In trying to fix some other problems with Daz over the weekend I had removed a lot of those annoying double installs which meant my second attempt at transferring over the Isa texture resulted in Genesis and Genesis 2 having the same diffuse setting. Looks much better now. I also determined there is no difference to the texture transfer whether you use the converter or apply to Genesis 1/save as material preset/apply to Genesis 2. I think I prefer the latter. This is the result I get with both methods, Genesis (left) and Genesis 2 (right).

Isa_Texture_Transfer_-_Genesis_(left)_Genesis_2_(right).png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

jcowb1 said:
    I can't get the thing to work at all. Same problems others have mentioned but I am unable to change the uv map to v4 as it doesn't show up in the uv maps section. I have watched the video on its use but that was no help.

Have you purchased and installed Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female ? That is the product that gets your the V4 UV map for G2F.

edited December 1969

If I use the V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 Female(s) and save the result as a DUF material preset, what characters can I later apply that preset to? Only G2F, or also V4 and Genesis?

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    If I use the V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 Female(s) and save the result as a DUF material preset, what characters can I later apply that preset to? Only G2F, or also V4 and Genesis?

Only G2F. The saved DUF file would be using the newer surface names.

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Hi.
    I'm still learning DS.
    Does the auto converter change the jpg files to fit G2?
    cheerio
    lululee

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

lululee1 said:
    Hi.
    I'm still learning DS.
    Does the auto converter change the jpg files to fit G2?
    cheerio
    lululee

As long as you have the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product which gives GF2 the same UVmap preset as V4, you can use V4 skins on GF2. Manually you first need to load the skin on V4 or genesis and save as a material preset and then apply that preset to GF2 because of the file format change. This converter makes the manual process automatic and saves you a few of clicks.

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Hi FSMCDesigns,
    Thanks for the info.
    I bought the auto converter thinking it was like the Texture converter that actually converts the texture map jpg's to different uv's.
    I guess the V4 Skins Auto Converter just writes a file to re-apply the mats so one does not have to do it manually each time.
    I can see that it still is a handy utility to have.
    I'll have to forge on in the DS learning curve.
    cheerio
    lululee

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited February 2015

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on