Any free caustics/light gels (gobos)?

SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knows of where I might find some free light gels or caustic maps that you can load as a texture on an Uberspot light. I only have a few that come with the Uberspot, and the only ones I could find online were swimming pool caustic maps (and most of them weren't even images, they were settings for high-end renderers). I'd like ones that could simulate cloud shadows, trees, windows, and other environmental shadows if possible.

Thanks in advance.

SnowS

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

You can easily make your own. They're just jpgs. For UberSpot you use a 1:1 ratio image (e.g. 1000x1000), for UberPoint you use a 2:1 image (1000x500)

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Oh I know, I was just wondering if there were any already out there. :)

Does the size of the map matter much or is it the distance of the light from the scene that affects the clarity of the gel? I used a sharp tree gobo with the Uberspot but it was from a decent distance away. The gel rendered nicely, but it was very soft and blurry.

Thanks though!

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Distance from light is the biggest factor for fuzziness, the closer the maps are to the lights the sharper the shadows.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Can anyone point me in the direction of the Uberspotlight? I've tried looking in and searching the Smart Content and also looking in and searching the Content Library using the term Uber. But so far not turned up the spot.

• Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

As far as I know, the uber spot and point lights have to be purchased from the store, either in a bundle or standalone...while I have been known to be wrong before...like thinking Blender was going to be super easy to learn....

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    As far as I know, the uber spot and point lights have to be purchased from the store, either in a bundle or standalone...while I have been known to be wrong before...like thinking Blender was going to be super easy to learn....

Thanks for the info! Yeah, try Octane? Setting up a scene in Octane - by David Brinnen