WIP Thread for May New Users Contest.

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited December 1969 in New User Contests and Events

The old thread was here http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=189999 but unfortunately we can no longer see the images at the moment.

Would people either like to repost them hear (but no larger than 800 pixels on the longest side please, due to limitations of the forum software at present), or else post them directly in the Contest thread..

THanks

Comments

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited May 2012

I think I posted mine the day everything went down.

Now, I'm swamped at work and in a class I'm taking. I don't know if I'll get another chance to touch it.

Image removed by a moderator till resized...please see this thread for info:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • berriboyberriboy Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Mr Hyde doesn't look happy about being asked to pull over.

Would like to hear some of your thoughts, thanks.

mrHyde01.jpg
    780 x 624 - 294K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Hey Cho...as a new member can I play? Can I...Can I...

• edited December 1969

Ya! For the site being back up! Here are the pics I posted in the work in progress thread.

The first one that I later changed and then the second one from all the great advice I had received.

zeus_bolt.jpg
    600 x 800 - 209K
    MIkefight7.jpg
    600 x 800 - 194K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

LOL, not sure if the other new users would be happy though. :roll:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Ya! For the site being back up! Here are the pics I posted in the work in progress thread.

The first one that I later changed and then the second one from all the great advice I had received.

I like that version much better. Good job!

edited December 1969

version3 said:

I like it but the image seems a bit grainy.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

version3 said:

I like the framing of the figures. One thing I would suggest is try focal length of the camera. For action scenes and comic book art i often use a 35 mm lens or lower. This enhances the foreshortening and gives the image a more dramatic comic book feel. I have used as low as 12 mm on an image before, but 20 mm to 35 mm is more common. Another trick I have often done is for vehicles i do short animations, often just 5 or 6 frames, just to add motion blur on the spinning tires. That and some dust clouds will really add to the feel of motion. Other than that its a really well composed scene.

edited December 1969

I like the original better, just for the framing. It needs something for sure, but being tight on the character's face is better to me. I like expressive faces, tell me the story in the face. Having a background in Illustration and comic books, I am always looking for the story. I want to see an image and instantly know what happened 5 minutes before the image and what it about to happen. I want a sense of who this character is, where he comes from, what he is doing and where he is going. You can convey all this information in a well composed image. You have a good style, i see your work as close... but needs a little something to kick it up a notch. Trouble is that something is often hard to recognize. I see this often in new artists. Some times its just a lack of confidence. You need the courage to be bold. Often times a new artist will know where they want to go but hold back. You never achieve greatness from doing what you know you can do, you achieve greatness by doing what no one thought you could.

• edited December 1969

version3 said:

I also like the set up, I think you go make it seem much more action packed by tweaking the camera a bit so the wheel of the motorcycle is aimed more at the viewer then to the side. Hunching mr Hyde over the bike could also make it feel like he's going faster as well.

• edited December 1969

Thank you Frank0314 and LycanthropeX!

I also have to agree, that I like the framing on the first one better, I prefer close ups on faces. For the story It is still incomplete and I'm torn on different ways to express that last piece. The second one does need something, but I been able to get my idea work on the next step. I tax the program and it likes to crash on me. I still have a day so I'm gonna work on it some more and see if I can get that last little oomph I'm aiming for.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited May 2012

chohole said:
    Pendraia said:

LOL, not sure if the other new users would be happy though. :roll:rofl...

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Frank0314, LycanthropeX and Angie Tucker for your helpful comments.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

Great to see that things are back up. Will post my starting render and what i've done to when i can resize them.

edited December 1969

Here is the image I started with and what I've done so far,

may-idea(v2).jpg
    800 x 600 - 220K
    may-idea1c.jpg
    800 x 600 - 220K
  • edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:

3cho I really like the lighting changes you have done. :) The added explosion and the grenades are great, though I still feel like the floor is still bare.

• edited December 1969

I think this might be last change I make to my image, especially since the deadline is tomorrow. I don't think it is as great as it could be but after four tries getting this guy posed and daz crashing on me; I need to stop and work with what I got.

zeus_bolt2.jpg
    480 x 644 - 165K
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:

3cho I really like the lighting changes you have done. :) The added explosion and the grenades are great, though I still feel like the floor is still bare.

Thank you Angie. I'll see if I have the time to add on to it befor the deadline.

edited December 1969

I took note of all the great advice i received from my first post and came up with this.

Hope you like it.

Mr Hyde in trouble................again

mrHyde03.jpg
    780 x 633 - 403K
    edited December 1969

version3 said:
    I took note of all the great advice i received from my first post and came up with this.

Hope you like it.

i think the angle on the cop flying thing could be better. love the look of the rest of it, Hyde looks like he is driving right out of the picture, looks great.

• edited May 2012

ok, so I have ditched the elemental idea for the time being, and went back to the basics of design. I have focused my attention on 8 Principals of art: balance, emphasis, harmony, variety, gradation, movement, rhythm, and proportion. As well as the 7 Elements of Art: Color, Value, Line, Texture, Shape, Form, and Space in order to improve my composition abilities. feedback is more than welcome!
    Title: falling asleep
    Software: DS4, photoshopcs5

fallingasleepfinalsmall.jpg
    775 x 633 - 64K
    Post edited by sweetluv40_2906afa5cc on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ooh I like that, and I love the colour. Blue is my fav color. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

version3 said:

Hope you like it.

i think the angle on the cop flying thing could be better. love the look of the rest of it, Hyde looks like he is driving right out of the picture, looks great.

Thanks LycanthropeX for the comment and I agree with you, as it is the cop looks more like a spectator than a participant which is not what I wanted.

That is a beautifull render sweetluv40, blue is my favourite colour as well.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Sweetluv40 that is one well done render. Love the lay out and colors.
    version3 Last one looks very good. If you gave the cop some action like pointing to Hide or to the side, "Pull over!" it would be much better.
    Angie Tucker I think if you pulled it in on just the upper half of this image it would be so much stronger. It's good, but the upper half seen by it self really conveys the action.

All good works. I'm very happy to see new users that can do renders of this quality the first time.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

sweetluv40 that's a beautiful image.
    Version3 and Angie those are both better. Well done.

• edited December 1969

ok, so I have ditched the elemental idea for the time being, and went back to the basics of design. I have focused my attention on 8 Principals of art: balance, emphasis, harmony, variety, gradation, movement, rhythm, and proportion. As well as the 7 Elements of Art: Color, Value, Line, Texture, Shape, Form, and Space in order to improve my composition abilities. feedback is more than welcome!
    Title: falling asleep
    Software: DS4, photoshopcs5

This is really nice. :) The colour, the expression, and the flowing fabric.

• edited December 1969

version3 said:

Hope you like it.

I love Mr. Hyde in this image, though the left side of the image is not as engaging as the right. Honestly with some smoke I think you could just use Mr Hyde with this angle and set up. If you want to keep the cop part, maybe some gun shots whizzing through the air?

• edited December 1969

Frank and Jaderail, Thank you. I'll see what I can do to crop it and get it up. Now that I don't have my face in it I can see what you guys mean about closing in.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Frank and Jaderail, Thank you. I'll see what I can do to crop it and get it up. Now that I don't have my face in it I can see what you guys mean about closing in.
    I understand why you do not see it at first. You spent all that time setting up the scene with the props and sets. It is normal to want all the work you did to be in the finished render. Just remember this one little tip from a comic hero, Stan Lee, does it really ADD to the Image you want to show? Or does it just show all you can do? I still have trouble with "just the Shot" myself.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone, I think this will be my finished version of Mr Hyde vs. The Law. Do you think I went overboard on the explosions?

I have taken Daz to a new level with the purchase of a 24" monitor today, for the first time I can see all my tabs and the scene at the same time. WOW what a difference it makes.

mrHyde04.jpg
    780 x 633 - 419K