Michael and Victoria 6 HD Add-ons Now Availalbe

DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
edited December 2013 in The Commons

Michael and Victoria 6 HD are available for purchase.

Both HD packs come with HD sculpted head and body morphs, as well as unique, never before released textures.

These HD morphs give you:

-Morphs sculpted at 64x the resolution of the base figure.
-Sharper creases where you need them
-Smoother curves for an organic, natural look.
-More definition, and more details, without significant system overhead.
-See your details updated in real time (Viewport subdivision must be turned on).
-Fine details that don't rely on image maps and work across UV sets.

You can find the Michael and Victoria 6 HD as well as other deals here.

Check out these images to see the HD difference.

Post edited by DZ_jared on

Comments

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited December 1969

I was actually thinking if we would get something like this and then they appeared this morning. NOW MY LIFE IS COMPLETE

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

What I want to know is if DAZ is going to make available HOW they achieve this. Is it all done in ZBrush or do they have their own program or ....... ??

I did purchase the bundle. Looks good.

• tomasballtomasball Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

I don't understand what a HD morph is. Is this related to displacement, or what? Is it possible to explain this using small words?

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited November 2013

tomasball said:
    I don't understand what a HD morph is. Is this related to displacement, or what? Is it possible to explain this using small words?
    When 3d mesh sculpters create a form its offten subdivided into millions of polys to capture small details that far exceed the memory limits of most rendering and animation systems so after UV is applied - the mesh is reduced (decimated or reropo) for distribution. Today it looks like DS can handlenmorenpolys so the came out with higher resolution models.
    Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

tomasball said:

HD morphs are morphs that are sculpted on a subdivided mesh and then brought back into DAZ Studio. SD morphs are morphs that are sculpted on the base resolution of a figure. HD morphs allow for more details that aren't dependent on image maps like displacement maps, normal maps, bump maps etc. HD morphs are able to affect the additional vertices created by Subdividing a mesh. The M6 and V6 HD addons were sculpted on 3 levels of subdivision which means the morphs utilize 64x the polygons as the SD morphs.

I hope this answers your question.

• edited December 1969

Will this work in Carrara 8.5 Pro? Or is this another Daz Studio only product?

Boojum

edited December 1969

Boojum

The textures will work. As with other HD addons, the morphs won't work in the current version of Carrara 8.5.

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

Boojum

The textures will work. As with other HD addons, the morphs won't work in the current version of Carrara 8.5.

I am getting to start creating shaders for the texture maps.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited November 2013

Damn it, now I might have to upgrade to Genesis 2 morphs and textures... So much money!

Does anyone know what the difference is between that and this?

http://www.daz3d.com/displacement-for-victoria-6

It seems to give a similar HD appearance.

Also, are V6/M6 necessary for this or can it simply work with the Genesis 2 base figures? And can it be combined with the recent HD creature creator?

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited December 1969

Damn it, now I might have to upgrade to Genesis 2 morphs and textures... So much money!

Does anyone know what the difference is between that and this?

http://www.daz3d.com/displacement-for-victoria-6

It seems to give a similar HD appearance.

Also, are V6/M6 necessary for this or can it simply work with the Genesis 2 base figures? And can it be combined with the recent HD creature creator?

One creates details using displacement maps, the other creates the details using HD morphs. Creating details using morphs rather than displacement maps offers several advantages one of the biggest being that the morph is UV independent, so it doesn't matter what UV set you are using you can still get the HD details.

Displacement maps are limited to movement along a polygon normal, while HD morphs are not.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Truly inspiring. Nabbed!

• Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 396
    edited November 2013

Now V6 reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence.

jennifer-lawrence-9.jpg
    500 x 691 - 32K
    Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

Snagged it!

• AoXAoX Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:
    Now V6 reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence.

Wow nice find, I agree they look quite alike. Amazing work by Daz on these HD morph, but I have to say they really kill my poor computer, I guess no more uber lighting for me ^^

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Very cool!
    Can you elaborate on what happens when these morphs are mixed with other morph sets?
    My assumption is that it is adding nuance specifically to the V6 and M6 morphs, and those nuances may or may not look appropriate on say Gia, but that V6 dialed in and then adjusted with some evolution morphs would retain most of the HD benefit, but I don't know if I'm correct thinking that way.

edited December 1969

Very cool!
    Can you elaborate on what happens when these morphs are mixed with other morph sets?
    My assumption is that it is adding nuance specifically to the V6 and M6 morphs, and those nuances may or may not look appropriate on say Gia, but that V6 dialed in and then adjusted with some evolution morphs would retain most of the HD benefit, but I don't know if I'm correct thinking that way.

I haven't done any testing, but I think as long as you are shaping your figure on top of V6/M6you should get decent results. Keep in mind that these HD details were sculpted on top of Victoria 6 and Michael 6 and are designed to be additive for to those figures. You can definitely add them onto Gia, Girl 6 etc, but I can't guarantee that the results will look great.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

DAZ_jared said:
    Very cool!

I haven't done any testing, but I think as long as you are shaping your figure on top of V6/M6you should get decent results. Keep in mind that these HD details were sculpted on top of Victoria 6 and Michael 6 and are designed to be additive for to those figures. You can definitely add them onto Gia, Girl 6 etc, but I can't guarantee that the results will look great.I have an example of mixing the HD morphs into a non-M6 character where I took a render I did of Dan by FWArt, and mixed in the HD morphs. It did bulk his shoulders a little, but there was no noticeable decreasing of the 'Dan-ness' of his face. Some extra detail in the ears and lips, some more in the collar and throat, and the hands. Nothing that really threw me for a loop, just...a little extra detail. It also didn't particularly affect my render time at all.

I'm not, you know, 100% sure that it worked, but it definitely made changes, and they looked just fine.

-- Morgan

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited November 2013

What does it do to the poly count? I remember that V4/M4 were about 68,000 polys and I could never get more than about 4 human figures into a scene and be able to render it.

It's been stated that Gen2 is some 22,000 polys, standard. What are they in HD?

ETA: I am assuming that these can use whatever textures have been converted to gen5 .duf. That they do not need special HD textures.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Any chance of putting together a package if the textures only, so Carrara users don't have to pay for what they can't use?

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the answer DAZ_jared, that confirms how I was thinking of them, and thanks Cypherfox for the link to your render, I could see some impact from the morphs especially in the hands and neck details.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

If you apply a texture that uses displacement to a model that uses HD morphs, are you supposed to zero out the texture displacement?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

Another question: Are the MEGA 1 and MEGA 2 coupons for M6 supposed to apply to the HD products? It tells me the coupon is invalid when I try it on either the M6 HD morphs or the bundle.

edited December 1969

The coupon doesn't work for these products.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited December 1969

Here is M6 HD with the new Bjorn texture. Render time is really slow, SSS doesn't help. I would only use these for portraits or they would kill my computer too. But very nice. i haven't played with V6 HD yet. Looks OK with M4 morph mixed in too.

bjorn.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 297K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I decided to try both HD figures, with their Elite textures "out of the box". I didn't change any material settings except to reduce SSS to 50%, as is my preference. I also used AoA's Advanced Ambient light and transmapped hair. Rendering closer portraits always takes a bit longer than distance shots. I wanted to really test the render time by throwing a lot at it (2 figures?). Total render time on this was 1 hr 19 mins. Not too bad, really. Next time, I would do more tweaking on the materials, especially V6 lips, which are a bit too specular in this render. I would also brighten up M6 a bit.

HD_Couple.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Nice renders guys :D

• Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 396
    edited December 1969

May I ask when the last day of the 51%off sale is?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    What does it do to the poly count? I remember that V4/M4 were about 68,000 polys and I could never get more than about 4 human figures into a scene and be able to render it.

ETA: I am assuming that these can use whatever textures have been converted to gen5 .duf. That they do not need special HD textures.

I'm not entirely sure what level of subdivision the HD figures use. By default it loads with a visual appearance set at SubD 1, which is the same as standard Victoria/Michael 6 resulting in 85,253 quads. Obviously, the total number of polygons will change depending on the level of subdivision used. SubD level 2 gives 339,432 quads and SubD 3 gives 1.34 million quads.

My guess is it uses subD at level 2 or so, but I don't really have an easy way to test this.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Decided to try out the HD with a custom head and shape mixed in...

You'll have to hunt down my deviantart account for the nude version ;)

TristanM6.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 586K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:

I'm not entirely sure what level of subdivision the HD figures use. By default it loads with a visual appearance set at SubD 1, which is the same as standard Victoria/Michael 6 resulting in 85,253 quads. Obviously, the total number of polygons will change depending on the level of subdivision used. SubD level 2 gives 339,432 quads and SubD 3 gives 1.34 million quads.

My guess is it uses subD at level 2 or so, but I don't really have an easy way to test this.

The HD morphs were created at level 3 - hence 64 times the detail (and polygon count, if you turn the preview level up that far). IN DS the SubD level setting is viewport only, it doesn't affect renders which are always taken to the limit state in effect; in Poser the SubD level does govern the render.