Batch Render for DS4 and RIB - [commercial]

DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
edited December 2013 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Batch Render for DS4 and RIB is a DS4 script that will enable you collect different DAZ Studio Scenes from various locations and 'batch' render these scenes from either within DAZ Studio or create .rib files so that you can use other render engines that support .rib files.

This ds script, when rendering to RIB, will also create a windows .bat file so that you can render the .rib files using 3Delight Stand Alone. Which is free. You don't need to understand RIB or 3Delight Stand Alone to render your scenes... This script is doing all the thinking for you. And when you use RIB and 3Delight Stand Alone, it frees up DAZ Studio so that you can keep working... And from my experience when rendering within DAZ Studio I can't even surf the web!... But if I render using 3Delight Stand Alone, my computer is not bogged down.

You have the option to either use the render settings that were saved with scene file, or select a preset file of render settings that will be assigned to all of the scenes.

You set the folder were your rendered files will go to. The name of the .bat file for the RIB files and where it will be written to, and the folder were the .rib files are written to.

You can download a copy of the user's guide Here

Post edited by DraagonStorm on

Comments

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Interesting! Can you tell me what the advantage is of the stand alone 3d delight vs using it within Daz? I see you say it uses less system resources, does it have built in limitations or anything?

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

Interesting! Can you tell me what the advantage is of the stand alone 3d delight vs using it within Daz? I see you say it uses less system resources, does it have built in limitations or anything?

I don't know of any limitations, but I don't profess to be a 3Delight expert. I've tested renders using Uber, and LIE and at different render settings, with no problems. I've rendered scenes in DS and then rendered with the same settings in 3Delight with no noticeable differences. (except that while it was rendering in 3Delight I still had complete control of my computer)

You can test RIB yourself without this script (the big thing with this script is that it will do/setup multiple scenes for rendering)...

-----------------------------------

Download and install 3Delight Stand Alone
    Open DAZ and load your scene.. Make any changes to render settings, etc.
    In the Render Settings tab -> Advanced, at the bottom, click on Render To RIB, select the location and name (I suggest using the name of your scene for the name of the .rip file) for the RIB file. and select 'Keep Shadows' and 'Collect and Localize'.

Render your scene.

RIB creates two .rib files one in the folder you selected, and another in a sub folder of that folder called xxx_collected. You want to use the one that is in the xxx_collected folder.

To render in 3Delight, you want to open a command prompt. Navigate to the xxx_collected folder and type renderdl -id xxx.rip (I'm told you can also just double click on the .rip file and it will start). The -id options will let you watch the render.

xxx = the name of your scene

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

Does this works like the Poser Pro queue renderer? If so I've been waiting for this for a long time.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    Does this works like the Poser Pro queue renderer? If so I've been waiting for this for a long time.

How does the Poser Pro queue renderer work?... I'm not really a Poser user.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:

Lately I'm not much of a Poser user either but from what I remember basically once you are ready to render you have an option in the bar menu to "render to queue". What it does is sends your render to a list just like when you send a document to a printer. the process goes to a separate thread and you can continue working in Poser as if you weren't rendering. it renders in the background for you. You can use it for animations or send as many renders you need it never ties up your program while rendering and frees you to continue working.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    SimonWM said:

Lately I'm not much of a Poser user either but from what I remember basically once you are ready to render you have an option in the bar menu to "render to queue". What it does is sends your render to a list just like when you send a document to a printer. the process goes to a separate thread and you can continue working in Poser as if you weren't rendering. it renders in the background for you. You can use it for animations or send as many renders you need it never ties up your program while rendering and frees you to continue working.

Not quite the same... I don't have a queue that you can keep adding to. And, if you choose DS Render as your render option, it will tie up DAZ Studio... But if you choose RIB Render, you will be tied up for just the time to create the RIB files. And then you can use 3Delight (or any other render engine that accepts RIB files) to do the renders, while you can go back to work in DAZ Studio or what ever you want.

My work flow with this script has been... Create the scene files and do test renders at low render settings. When I'm finished doing my scenes and they are saved. Then I open up the Batch Render script and select those scene files to add to the list. I select RIB Render.. Change the Render Settings to the highest. Make my selections for where and what name for the .bat file, and where I want the final renders to go. And then hit the Render button.

The script loads each scene, creates the RIB files, and then when it finishes those a message box pops up telling you it's finished.

Then I go to where the .bat file was created to, and double click on the .bat file, and the .bat file does the rest. I'm free to go back to DAZ Studio, surf the web, work on my day job stuff... Heck I can even get some sleep!

edited December 1969

So it will depend on an external renderer right? Not the same but very useful too.

edited December 1969

Here's a screen shot of the script interface.

ScreenShot.JPG
    573 x 709 - 63K
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    So it will depend on an external renderer right? Not the same but very useful too.

Not quite right... You can select to batch render in DAZ Studio, but then it's not free to do other things, and from my experience DAZ Studio uses a lot of resources and slows down everything else on my computer.

edited December 1969

Very useful Draagonstorm. I will be installing 3Delight external and using your script for sure when you release it. This should free Studio from rendering and let me keep working while rendering animations or sets of promos. Now I need to learn a bit of 3Delight external rendering, hopefully the interface will be similar to DAZ Studio's.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Does this work with OTOY Octane Render standalone or their DAZ plugin do you know? I tried to google but couldn't find any info about RIB and octane render.

edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    Does this work with OTOY Octane Render standalone or their DAZ plugin do you know? I tried to google but couldn't find any info about RIB and octane render.

I don't have Octane and really don't know anything about it, but if it can use RIB format then... Yes.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:

No, it wouldn't work for Octane, nor for Luxrender via Reality 2. It may work for Luxrender via Luxus as that adds a render engine to the DS list.
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited December 1969

The free license for 3delight standalone can use only up to 4 cores for rendering, so if you have a computer with more than 4 cores it won't use all of them. The version included in DS will use all cores available.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Is it four now? I thought in the past it was limited to two.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

Is it four now? I thought in the past it was limited to two.

Looks like the software has changed since I last looked at it, when it had more or less the same limitation you're thinking of. According to the download page linked in the first post:

The downloaded software comes with one full license for free with no restriction for commercial use and is not time limited. A maximum of one free license is available per customer. This free version has all the features and is only limited in performance by using a maximum of 4 cores during rendering. Which means on computers with more than 4 cores (or CPUs), the software will not use all the computing power available.

• ArcxArcx Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Hollo DraagonStorm!

I also purchased this product.
    This product is good!
    It is a very good idea which does not make my time useless.
    However, there are some questions.

1.When I render by DAZ Studio, I want to be able to use the current rendering setting in SELECT Render Setting.
    2.When I redner by RIB, An shutdown of DAZ Studio will delete BatchRip.bat.
    Do I hear "don't end DAZ Studio"?
    3.It is wrong although it is a batch file created by Batch Render Script.
    The pathname including a blank is not taken into consideration.
    Manually, I needed to correct the batch file.
    Is it necessary to correct this manually?

* I am a Japanese, I hardly understands English.
    I am sorry if it is the English which a meaning does not understand.

edited December 1969

Arcx said:
    Hollo DraagonStorm!

This product is good!

1.When I render by DAZ Studio, I want to be able to use the current rendering setting in SELECT Render Setting.

#1 I would suggest saving the current render settings as a preset, and then select Use Selected Render Setting .duf File.

#2 When you use the RIB Render, DAZ Studio needs to create the RIB files. Do not exit DAZ Studio until you have received the message that the .bat file has been created before closing.

#3 Right now the folder names and filename need to not contain spaces. A correction has been supmitted to DAZ3D, and should be available soon.

• ArcxArcx Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Arcx said:
    Hollo DraagonStorm!

This product is good!

#1 I would suggest saving the current render settings as a preset, and then select Use Selected Render Setting .duf File.

#2 When you use the RIB Render, DAZ Studio needs to create the RIB files. Do not exit DAZ Studio until you have received the message that the .bat file has been created before closing.

#3 Right now the folder names and filename need to not contain spaces. A correction has been supmitted to DAZ3D, and should be available soon.

Thank you for the quick reply.

#1 It understood by the method.
    #2 The message is displayed.
    a.run script and RIB redner execute
    b.DAZ Studio redered RIB File
    c.script show "create batch file" message.
    d.I checked that the batch file was created.
    e.DAZ Studio shutdown
    f.The batch file was deleted.
    This is little problem.
    I do not end DAZ Studio, OK.
    #3 This product updated today was checked.
    This problem was solved.
    Thank you for the quick update.

• AurensAurens Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First of all thank you for the product, it works like a charm and helps a lot in the workflow :)

Just one question: do you think you could update it so that it would render all available cameras in a scene? Right now I have to save every scene camera in a seperate file which makes managing them a bit more complicated.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

hmasri said:
    First of all thank you for the product, it works like a charm and helps a lot in the workflow :)

Just one question: do you think you could update it so that it would render all available cameras in a scene? Right now I have to save every scene camera in a seperate file which makes managing them a bit more complicated.

gotta say, this is something I would be interested as well. Depending on the amount of work, maybe as an add-on.

• VenerisVeneris Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Your product works to create Series of Images (an animation)? I make Animations, I'm not interested in a still image. I use "VirtualDub" to collect the lot of the Series of Images.

edited December 1969

Your product works to create Series of Images (an animation)? I make Animations, I'm not interested in a still image. I use "VirtualDub" to collect the lot of the Series of Images.

DAZ Studio already does that by selecting Image Series under Render To: and then uses the time line to render each scene in the series.

I guess you could use this to create an image series if you named your saved scenes xyz_001, xyz_002, xyz_003 ......

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

So, is this product primarily useful for rendering several scenes in a row? I know Daz can already 'render' to an RIB correct? So what is the advantage of this script versus doing the rib through Daz then launching 3d Delight standalone?

edited December 1969

So, is this product primarily useful for rendering several scenes in a row? I know Daz can already 'render' to an RIB correct? So what is the advantage of this script versus doing the rib through Daz then launching 3d Delight standalone?

Yes, that is what this product is primarily for. Rendering many scenes for you in a row.

It can either render them in DS4 or you can create the RIB files, and the script will create a windows batch file (.bat) that you run from Windows to render your scenes using 3Delight Standalone, which frees up DS4 for more work.

One example of how I use this is... As a PA, I have to create promotion images. I can work on the scenes and do low quality test renders for lighting, composition, etc. When I have all my images ready for final renders, I start this script, put my scenes in the list and set the render quality to high quality... (again in my case I render to RIB)... When the RIB files are created, I start the .bat file and go to bed (or what ever).

edited December 1969

DAZ Studio already does that by selecting Image Series under Render To: and then uses the time line to render each scene in the series.

I guess you could use this to create an image series if you named your saved scenes xyz_001, xyz_002, xyz_003 ......

That's a lot of work! That does not solve my problem of creating more fast Renders with good quality.

edited December 1969

That's a lot of work! That does not solve my problem of creating more fast Renders with good quality.

No DS script or plugin could help you there.... The only thing that would speed up your renders with good quality, would be a faster CPU and more memory.

edited December 1969

No DS script or plugin could help you there.... The only thing that would speed up your renders with good quality, would be a faster CPU and more memory.

Oh, you sorry, English is not my language, there are some things I do not understand and the translator did not translate well.

I bought a computer a lot of ability and I thought it would be more fast the renders, but it was not. I realized after the render engine uses 2 processors inside DAZ.

When my computer is 4 processors with 8 GB of RAM and 4 GB of Video. 3DElight Stanalone now allows the use of 4 processors, is that correct?

edited December 1969

Oh, you sorry, English is not my language, there are some things I do not understand and the translator did not translate well.

I bought a computer a lot of ability and I thought it would be more fast the renders, but it was not. I realized after the render engine uses 2 processors inside DAZ.

When my computer is 4 processors with 8 GB of RAM and 4 GB of Video. 3DElight Stanalone now allows the use of 4 processors, is that correct?

From what I've read, I believe it does now. I do not claim to be any kind of 3Delight expert :) I just like to automate things to make mine and others life easier.

• edited December 1969

Hi DraagonStorm,

I can confirm that 3delight standalone uses 4 cores now - the free version that is.
    I have been trying to render an image sequence (an animation) using the 3delight standalone all day today with no luck. For whatever reason, when I render the image sequence out to a RIB file in daz studio, and then try and render the RIB file in 3delight, it will only render the first frame. There is a switch for 3delight, I think something like "renderdl -id -frame 0 216" (for an animation with 217 frames) but for whatever reason, it will only render one frame in 3delight.

I apologize if this has already been answered in this thread, but I didn't really follow the logic of the questions and answers here, but - does your batch script in any way assist in batch rendering an animation or image sequence at all? I know you said to set up your scene x, scene x2, or scene x, scene y, scene z, etc, but for me the animation is all one scene, just different actions and camera angles etc depending on the frame we are at in the scene. I guess because for whatever reason the process of exporting a image sequence to RIB and then rendering in 3delight standalone is not working for me at the moment, that a batch file or script to automate this process would be useful..

Thanks.