A possible stupid question about the CMS for DS4Pro and DS4.5 "Closed"

JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in The Commons

I was just day dreaming about how nice it would be if I could test the DS4.5 RC2 along side my DS4Pro with paid for plug-ins. Okay, I know that no version of DS before would allow you to run the Full version and the Beta versions side by side, I dont think, but all the beta versions before DS4.5 were able to run the Full versions Plug-ins.

I understand that the SDK is not a final release (is it?) and that the CMS and it's database conflict or get shared by DS4Pro or DS4.5. Is their no way to code the CMS so it is Version specific? I have more than one Database on my PC all designed with "XL" and they do not conflict, each is only called by the program written for it and I can code the controller to call only the database for that software and make it version specific. I'm not a pro just a plunk-er so I'm asking to see if it could be done. And why not leave the redundant script call's in the new version of DS so the Beta's will run the bought Plugins. Just make a List and "REMARK"s that should be removed before compile of the next version?

I also know that I'm just asking the Admin's and the Mod's and possibly the CV's because the Pro's of DAZ 3D are not in the Forums much, so this will probably never be seen by anyone that codes the software.

This is not against anything done so far, I'm just wondering.

Post edited by Jaderail on

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Yes, you can run multiple instances of ValentinaDB on the same machine. However, it is not trivial to set up. If you aren't afraid of some config file editing and some Windows Service acrobatics then it can be done. You will have to stop, change, restart, run between each version.

With that being said, there's no reason that you can't have 4 and 4.5 accessing the same database. I have a network central database that serves all of my machines, and I have all kinds of versions running for testing -- all accessing the same database.

Kendall

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What I was trying to say is this, CAN they "DAZ" code the program so we do not lose DS4Pro just to Beta test DS4.5?
    Your post pretty much told me why it was not done.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    What I was trying to say is this, CAN they "DAZ" code the program so we do not lose DS4Pro just to Beta test DS4.5?
    Your post pretty much told me why it was not done.

This is not a function of the CMS. It is a function of OS. Simple answer: You can install both 4 and 4.5 but the Windows Registry gets in the way with the versions. Complex answer: use of more advanced features in Windows can make it happen.

Mac and Linux can have multiple versions with no problems.

Kendall

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

But the settings stored in the registry is "controlled" by the application, so if you can install v3 and v4 at the same time you can do the same with v4 and v4.5 if the application uses separate keys, but it must be implemented in that way (and that was the initial request if I understand it right).

edited December 1969

It could be done with a series of commands. A set run to capture settings, and then a set of .bat files that would need to be executed before running the version desired. Hence my "simple" and "complex" answers.

Kendall

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Can you slap together a how-to for that .bat? Because right now I'm in an awkward position of "wants to create content, but likes 4.5 too much to downgrade again, and apparently there are problems with exporting old-style files most people use".

edited July 2012

OK. A quick rundown of what is necessary. (shared content in CMS)

Preparatory work
    1) Install first version of DS4.
    2) Use Regedit and write out the registry for HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/DAZ
    3) Copy the DS4 install to a new home
    4) Edit the saved registry *file* and replace all instances of the old install path with the new

5) Uninstall the first version of DS4
    6) Install second version of DS4
    7) repeat (2) above for this version

Write a .bat file called something like DS4_1.bat

in this file you would put:

regedit.exe /s 
    \DAZStudio.exe

repeat for DS4_2.bat

To execute a specific version run the correct .bat file.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on