Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

On a related topic to exporting, what about saving? Does the LamH data save as part of a conventional scene file (or, with the new D|S4.5, a .duf file) — and, just as important, does it reappear with no differences when the scene is re-loaded? Or do we save a separate Renderman-compatible data file with the hair settings?

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

On a related topic to exporting, what about saving? Does the LamH data save as part of a conventional scene file (or, with the new D|S4.5, a .duf file) — and, just as important, does it reappear with no differences when the scene is re-loaded? Or do we save a separate Renderman-compatible data file with the hair settings?

The way it works now, LAMH saves all the follcles and hair in a file that you can load back and apply to the same figure or object it was designed for. Once the project is loaded, you'll need to do the export again (exporting as RenderMan just take 2 seconds). Loading back the project means that the hair will be there just as they where saved.

I'd like also to add the possibility to save a scene which contains RenderMan objects, or an object itself as .dsu or .dfu; however, I'll wait for the 4.5 SDK to be final. I had troubles using the save to .dsf/.dsu functions and I believe there is a bug somewhere in the SDK.

edited December 1969

As from the blog: "Mandrill
    A mandrill, created out of the Genesis Gorilla. Exported the head and neck in ZBrush, morphed it, made a very basic texture and imported in LAMH. Created the hair, styled, rendered. Made some adjustments and a little bit of HDR toning in second image.
    Hair are way too thick (visible especially near the mouth), anyway is a good result."

mandrill_HDR_800.jpg
    700 x 800 - 417K
    mandrill_render_800.jpg
    700 x 800 - 340K
  • Aneet ProductionsAneet Productions Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I just found this thread. All I can say is Wow!!! I can't wait for this product. The pictures are awesome. Thank you for making such a great future product.

edited December 1969

Fay68 said:
    I just found this thread. All I can say is Wow!!! I can't wait for this product. The pictures are awesome. Thank you for making such a great future product.

Thanks to you for following my project :)

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

Fay68 said:

Ditto every bit of that sentiment. Started reading last night thanks to Matt following you and went through the entire forum thread, though I've not seen the videos yet. Very exciting.

Regarding the taper, I had a thought that will probably need to be reserved for the next version if implemented. I see that around the end of May you added a parameter to alter where the existing taper happens, but I can imagine a system for much more complex shapes, that would not need to be complex on the user's end. I don't think the coding would be extreme, but I don't know the code end.

I have several variations on the input that are floating around in my head as I type. One could be a linear envelope chart that works like the curves tool in Photoshop. (I think curves for deformers in Studio have a similar interface.) Left end is the base and right end is the tip...user can define any number of points -- they could directly tie to the segment count node if desired -- and drag those points up or down to adjust the width of the hair at that point. A few buttons for common default shapes would be handy. This curve or point set would override the basic taper.

I could also see this being coded by hand as a simple list of points like one-dimensional UV coordinates or use a linear gradient image as an alpha map, but the above option would be very user friendly.

Having this kind of option would work well for grass, more varied types of hair and even for really strange shapes, like bread mold or industrial Velcro. (New designs by 3M have both sides with pinhead-shaped nubs that interlock like a field of zippers.) Grandma's pincushion could be built procedurally, once one has the tomato-shaped base.

• Fille123Fille123 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

As from the blog: "Mandrill
    A mandrill, created out of the Genesis Gorilla. Exported the head and neck in ZBrush, morphed it, made a very basic texture and imported in LAMH. Created the hair, styled, rendered. Made some adjustments and a little bit of HDR toning in second image.
    Hair are way too thick (visible especially near the mouth), anyway is a good result."

This is awesome, lol! :lol:

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

So how is beta testing coming along? Do we have some pretty pictures?

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    So how is beta testing coming along? Do we have some pretty pictures?

Not many renders so far, we are concentrating on spotting issues (and there are quite some). In a few days beta 2 should be released and hopefully with that testers will be able to produce some images.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is a must have for me. Setting aside money to purchase as soon as it is released.

This may have been asked before. If it was I missed it. Will it be allowed for people to share hairs for figures that they have made?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    This is a must have for me. Setting aside money to purchase as soon as it is released.

This may have been asked before. If it was I missed it. Will it be allowed for people to share hairs for figures that they have made?

Hi, projects can be saved and loaded back as .lmh files, so yes, you can share those with other users.

edited December 1969

Wonderful, now I'm even more excited. Code,Test, finish. Hurry!!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Wonderful, now I'm even more excited. Code,Test, finish. Hurry!!

I am, believe me! LOL

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

Ok, I know we won't have dynamic hair in this first version but will it be possible to lets say work with a Genesis V5 animation shape the hair in frame 1 and then shape it differently 10 frames after like doing a wind swept and have the software interpolate the changes inbetween like traditional frame to frame animation?

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    Ok, I know we won't have dynamic hair in this first version but will it be possible to lets say work with a Genesis V5 animation shape the hair in frame 1 and then shape it differently 10 frames after like doing a wind swept and have the software interpolate the changes inbetween like traditional frame to frame animation?

Hi Simon, I've been thinking about it (i.e. interpolating hairs between frames) but it's all to be done. I don't think I'll be able to code that for the initial release.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

Its good that you have been thinking about it, gives me hope. I would have prefer that the first version had included that capability, it would be a way to do animations even if not as easy as dynamics.

• Lmx3dLmx3d Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Hi these are my images made in Vue exporting obj's protofeathers from LAMH. This plug is awesome now and i think will be better when in his final release!!!!

pelican2.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 567K
    dilovue3b.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 358K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

lmx3d said:
    Hi these are my images made in Vue exporting obj's protofeathers from LAMH. This plug is awesome now and i think will be better when in his final release!!!!

Imx3d very nice! Glad to hear things are going well. This is like Christmas eve. It is becoming harder and harder to wait for the morning.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 1969

lmx3d said:

Those are fantastic Imx3d! I've had a pile of existing dino models that I haven't used much since the skins were proven obsolete (like the triceratops,) but it looks like they can all be resurrected now with LAMH. I can't wait for this product to go live.

edited December 1969

Thank you for the interest you all show in LAMH. Me and the testers are working very hard: there are several sharp edges, issues, corrections and features to be reworked but we'll make it through, little by little. In a few days beta 2 will be delivered to testers and it should be a major step forward.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

What will the licensing issues be regarding hair made with this?

edited December 2012

Gedd said:
    What will the licensing issues be regarding hair made with this?

Hi Gedd, what do you mean exactly? If they can be sold?

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

Yes, or given away. Thank you for fast reply :)

• DarthDDarthD Posts: 259
    edited December 1969

Could you create a braid with this? I'd like a thick, single braid that lays over one shoulder. Also what about pony tails and pig tails?

edited December 1969

ARE YOU DONE YET!! GIVE me a PRICE any PRICE within reason. I have money, and I so WANT THIS!

edited December 1969

DarthD said:
    Could you create a braid with this? I'd like a thick, single braid that lays over one shoulder. Also what about pony tails and pig tails?

Pony tails would be quite easy, just have some long hair and choke those at some point. Braids would be very difficult, if not impossible, to model by hand. I will produce an algorithm that is capable of twisting and group hair so that they will make into a braid, but it's all to be developed.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ARE YOU DONE YET!! GIVE me a PRICE any PRICE within reason. I have money, and I so WANT THIS!

We are not there yet, sorry for the long wait. Beta 1.02 is expected in the next few days, still some road to go before we're on finals...

edited December 1969

DarthD said:

Pony tails would be quite easy, just have some long hair and choke those at some point. Braids would be very difficult, if not impossible, to model by hand. I will produce an algorithm that is capable of twisting and group hair so that they will make into a braid, but it's all to be developed.

Braids and updos are areas where the old way of doing hair (with bump, displacement, or normal mapping...) is actually probably the best, perhaps with some strands of fiber hair.

• DarthDDarthD Posts: 259
    edited December 1969

I want a braid that is dynamic, so that's why I was asking if this will work.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited December 1969

Great to see a progress on this plug in. Will wait patiently for the release.

This discussion has been closed.